Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Ok, so fair enough, but what are you saying are his faults? Poor distribution? Shot Stopping, lack of leadership?

the defence in front of him has been a shambles and changes ever 4-5 games.

and if you've always felt he was poor then fair enough, but the majority on here were always very pro-Guzan.

for the record my feeling is he saves the hard shots at distance but is poor at close range shots, he has most of the qualities Given doesn't have and vice versa.

Basically I feel that he has been in continuous decline for the past 18 months, at least. My view is that he is just pretty nondescript in most aspects of his game. What actually does he do well nowadays? Not a strong shot-stopper. Nor an organiser. Even his claiming ability isn't particularly standout anymore. Sure, he isn't a liability but that's about all I can say for him. He was brilliant in 2012/13, no doubt, but it was one season - one which continues to dogmatise perception in my opinion.

There are a few positions of greater priority but as I've said for a while, I believe we can upgrade on Guzan. To reiterate, he isn't terrible but his contribution isn't significant enough. A superior keeper can win the team more points. Attempting to excuse Guzan by placing blame on the defence doesn't cut it either given that his best form came playing behind the worst defensive unit in our history, or worst in the Premier League era certainly.

I would say it pleases me that Sherwood seems to see it as I do but then I'm not sure whether his problem is more with Guzan from a mental POV. As in viewing him as one of the 'losers', which I'm not sure I'd agree with if so. Either way, hopefully he gets it right with his replacement.

This is also where I am with him.

At one point i thought we've got a cracking keeper on our hands here for years to come, but he started to let errors creep into his game and I think he has declined ever since.

If we've got the money to replace him with Begovic I'm all for it.

Keeper is literally the last position that needs strengthening. Unless we have truckloads to spend,...it's a waste of our transfer budget

giphy.gif

I also agree. If we improve the players out on the pitch it will make Brad's job easier and won't be faced with a rediculous amount of shots at him each game. We were one of the worst for preventing shots in the league last season weren't we?

Edited by Tayls

IMO: Although I like Guzan, the manager clearly has no confidence in him. If thats down to "one mistake" or some other reason like he isnt very good at organising his defence, his distribution is dodgy or something else entirely I dont know. Maybe its even a combination of all or some of those things. Whichever way you look at it, The relationship isnt working. So, if Tim can bring in a very good keeper that will eliminate those issues then we have one less thing to worry about. I would love us to sign Begovic and a decent left back.

We still have some players to move on which will free up some wages and hopefully add a few quid to the kitty but its anybodys guess who they will actually be so it will be interesting to watch. I hope Kovac is still as good as he first appeared to be and I hope Gil manages to open Tims eyes during pre-season.

If our first three signings are Sinclair, Richards and Begovic then we have strengthened our team already with premiership players. Its all very well shopping around the championship for bargains but if you build a team of championship players you end up with a championship team! Lets not forget we are not a top six team adding one or two rising stars from the lower leagues. We are a team that has nearly been in the lower leagues ourselves for 3 years in a row. We should be looking for better players than we have, not similar players that might get good once they've played a bit more.

Just my opinions.

• Like 1

I like Guzan. I think he is an ok keeper but I have no confidence in him. So how must his defenders feel?

because of one out and out mistake and some occasionally dodgy distribution

you must have no confidence in 90% of the team then

Given that we have struggled consistently against relegation for the last few seasons - I think any one who does have confidence in 90% of the team must have pretty low expectations of where we now stand as a club.  A seriously high percentage of the squad are not good enough for a team / club that should be challenging for Europe.  How many of our players would realistically start for teams like Liverpool or Spurs?  Answer is probably Benteke.  Ergo 90% of the team are not good enough??  I don't think Guzan would stop us being a top 10 team, but in my opinion he isn't as good as the keepers that we had when we were challenging for Europe on a consistent basis.

• Like 1

I like Guzan. I think he is an ok keeper but I have no confidence in him. So how must his defenders feel?

Given that we have struggled consistently against relegation for the last few seasons - I think any one who does have confidence in 90% of the team must have pretty low expectations of where we now stand as a club. A seriously high percentage of the squad are not good enough for a team / club that should be challenging for Europe. How many of our players would realistically start for teams like Liverpool or Spurs? Answer is probably Benteke. Ergo 90% of the team are not good enough?? I don't think Guzan would stop us being a top 10 team, but in my opinion he isn't as good as the keepers that we had when we were challenging for Europe on a consistent basis.

Comparing our squad to that of a team in the top 8 is ridiculous. Is Guzan a top 8 goal keeper? No because if he was he'd already be there, is Guzan the best we could possibly do right now considering our plight the last few seasons? Yes, I'd argue we could in fact have a lesser keeper considering our last few seasons.

Last season the defence got chopped and changed, the midfield for the majority of games gave no protection to the back four. Keepers will always get the blame but when the teams racking up an average of just....what was it 25%-30% possession what do you expect.

Saw a fee of £10million mentioned for Begovic in the papers today.

That raises a number of questions for me. If that fee is accurate, and lets face it, it probably isn't, but if it is, does that mean we have more than the usual transfer budget available or are we planning on spending half of our usual budget on an area that doesn't need fixing?

If we have quite a sizable budget this Summer then i'm all for improving the squad in all areas but £10 million on a goalkeeper who is no better than Guzan seems strange to me.

• Like 1

That raises a number of questions for me. If that fee is accurate, and lets face it, it probably isn't, but if it is, does that mean we have more than the usual transfer budget available or are we planning on spending half of our usual budget on an area that doesn't need fixing?

If we have quite a sizable budget this Summer then i'm all for improving the squad in all areas but £10 million on a goalkeeper who is no better than Guzan seems strange to me.

No it doesn't necessarily mean we have more money. It means the type of player we are asking about costs more money. We don't seem to trawling around the back waters of Europe or looking for lower league players in England with Sherwood.. Until we actually sign someone and then go after a 2nd, 3rd ad 4th person we will not know if we are asking about 10 people hoping for couple or asking about 10 hoping to sign 4 or 5.

Given that we have struggled consistently against relegation for the last few seasons - I think any one who does have confidence in 90% of the team must have pretty low expectations of where we now stand as a club. A seriously high percentage of the squad are not good enough for a team / club that should be challenging for Europe. How many of our players would realistically start for teams like Liverpool or Spurs? Answer is probably Benteke. Ergo 90% of the team are not good enough?? I don't think Guzan would stop us being a top 10 team, but in my opinion he isn't as good as the keepers that we had when we were challenging for Europe on a consistent basis.
Comparing our squad to that of a team in the top 8 is ridiculous. Is Guzan a top 8 goal keeper? No because if he was he'd already be there, is Guzan the best we could possibly do right now considering our plight the last few seasons? Yes, I'd argue we could in fact have a lesser keeper considering our last few seasons.

Last season the defence got chopped and changed, the midfield for the majority of games gave no protection to the back four. Keepers will always get the blame but when the teams racking up an average of just....what was it 25%-30% possession what do you expect.

Guzan got an Inform on fifa ultimate team so surely we should keep him?[emoji6]

Do any of you think that there's a chance Guzan has asked to leave? Potentially mentioned it to the manager when he came in that he wanted to go back to America or simply move on somewhere new. Sherwood didn't have a problem so long as he didn't let him down before the end of the season or get distracted. When he did exactly that then he was dropped.

I think there's a veryreal chance that he's asked to leave and because he's much more replaceable compared to a Benteke then he's been told he can go

• Like 1

Guzan got an Inform on fifa ultimate team so surely we should keep him?[emoji6]

I don't play Fifa but yes clearly that means he's boss

Especially when half the side we have is currently not good enough

I agree we have bigger priorities than a new goalkeeper LB CM for example

Especially when half the side we have is currently not good enough

I agree we have bigger priorities than a new goalkeeper LB CM for example

Already sorted..Green Recycle bin & Lego man.Deals to be finalised when there sober

This is supposed to be a speculation and rumours thread, last 20 pages are just a Guzan debate, is there not a keeper thread you lot can discuss Guzan?

• Like 4

Stoke City have turned down a bid from Aston Villa for goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, according to Sky sources.

Begovic, 27, is entering the final 12 months of his contract and is understood to have held discussions over his future with manager Mark Hughes and chief executive Tony Scholes, who are keen to tie him down to a new deal.

Several English newspapers have reported that Chelsea and Manchester United are interested in the Bosnia-Herzegovina international, and it now appears Aston Villa's intentions to provide top-quality competition to Brad Guzan are clear.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9895568/aston-villas-bid-for-asmir-begovic-turned-down-by-stoke?