Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Villa Official apparently put this up earlier, but have now deleted it..

10418491_948446268539467_730128540435040

It's fake. When the OS does those 'Welcome Player X' templates, they always blank out the sponsor on their shirt. If you write in that link given (bit.ly/1GwVSzr), it is just from the media watch bit.

Edited by Isa

Villa Official apparently put this up earlier, but have now deleted it..

10418491_948446268539467_730128540435040

It's fake. When the OS does those 'Welcome Player X' templates, they always blank out the sponsor on their shirt. If you write in that link given (bit.ly/1GwVSzr), it is just from the media watch bit.

Yep, I know a designer at the Villa and that style/typefaces isn't consistent with what they've been putting out.

For what it's worth, the United States just beat the Netherlands and Germany this week with a team including lower league players and (seriously) college students. (And Michael Bradley, who is a stud.) There are players out there to be found in our price range.

Edited by JamieZ

If you're looking at the released players then Tom Thorpe would be a good buy. A CB who is great on the ball, a real leader and really consistent. He's captained United to an FA youth cup win, 2 u21 PL wins, an u21 PL final and was apart of the England u17 Euro Cup winners. He has also captained England youth sides. 

I still don't understand how he never got a chance, miles better than Blackett who only got a chance because he is left footed and much more proven than McNair, although McNair ha made great progression over the last 2 years. Thorpe always impressed me more than Michael Keane for the u21s as well. I think he is good enough to give Clark and Okore some competition straight away although most managers would be hesitant with his lack of first team experience. You never know with Sherwood though. Could even give him a year loan in the Championship. 

As a big fan of Thorpe's I just hope he gets to play next year, we've dicked him around and he has been unfortunate with an injury or two which has really held him back from taking that next step he was ready to make over 2 years ago. 

The only downside is he has donned the blue of Birmingham City. 

• Like 3

Surprised to see the omission of Joe Cole from the free agents list thats doing the rounds around the internet, can't believe he was given longer than a 1 year deal considering his injury record.

Would anyone look at Tom Ince who it seems Derby are looking to sign for £6m?

He might be the sort of talented player that Tim would back himself to get playing at his best in the same way as he has done with Scott Sinclair and he would be near half of the price that Spurs would want for Townsend. 

That assumes we have the money to buy anyone as yet. :unsure:  

Down here in Swansea they have this evening announced the signing of forward Andre Ayew on a bosman from Marseille,we may say who,when you have a look at the player's CV this is some signing,25yr on a 4yr contract signed by a club with no debt and gates of 20000 and widely regarded as small fry,not any more they aren't. Tom and Tim better get their skates on.

• Like 1

Wouldn't touch tom ince

Couldn't get a sniff at hull, hasn't set the world on fire back at derby, he "made it" the minute he got linked back to Liverpool and with inter Milan, not sure if he even had talent to waste but he's not cut out for the prem from what I've seen

Redmond was the one at that age / time of move, Norwich got him for a bargain

Every time I watch Michael Bradley play for USA, I always think what could have been if Houllier actually gave him a chance. Bradley is the American Schweinsteiger. 

We should really pursue Deandre Yedlin from spurs if they don't want him. He made Blind and Germany's defense look amateur numerous times. I don't understand how Yedlin isn't played more.

Oh also that American goal keeper Guzan is pretty good. We should sign him up. 

• Like 1

Every time I watch Michael Bradley play for USA, I always think what could have been if Houllier actually gave him a chance. Bradley is the American Schweinsteiger. 

We should really pursue Deandre Yedlin from spurs if they don't want him. He made Blind and Germany's defense look amateur numerous times. I don't understand how Yedlin isn't played more.

Oh also that American goal keeper Guzan is pretty good. We should sign him up. 

Guzan is pretty good, but his distribution is abysmal.

His distribution was actually very good in the last two USA matches he played. He probably has been working on it a lot in training. 

I was kidding. But it is pretty bad.

As to your other points, I continue to think of Bradley as "the one who got away", and I think Yedlin's lack of chances this spring come mostly from being a young player moving to a new club as a winter transfer right on the back of a full MLS season. I think the Gold Cup this summer will give him a chance to get some steady minutes with the national team, find his form, and go into next season in a better position to put himself in the picture at Tottenham. It's still early days for him. Would I love to have him (either of them) at Villa? Of course. Do I think it'll happen? Not likely.

I, for one, would be happy to see us go for a player like Jordan Morris. The kid is a spark of energy and he doesn't seem to be afraid of anybody. This could be his summer.

• Like 1

I would love to see us sign Morris. He is still in college and I wonder if he would be tempted to move for a big pay. Imo he's has the potential to be the best striker that us Americans have ever had.

I would love to see us sign Morris. He is still in college and I wonder if he would be tempted to move for a big pay. Imo he's has the potential to be the best striker that us Americans have ever had.

Even better than Jozy Altidore?........

His distribution was actually very good in the last two USA matches he played. He probably has been working on it a lot in training. 

We had a club down here send their keeper out in central midfield for almost the entire preseason. Why? To get him used to and confident distributing the ball in more ways than punts and throws.

Reckon we should do the same with Guzan for some of our easier/earlier preseason games