Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Quick look on a Brighton forum and the consensus about Bennett is: "Get rid. Decent going forward but can't cross and a liability in defense."

I'm all for giving players a chance but based on that I doubt that he has a future at Villa.

Just to let you know, if you want a look at Luongo he'll be playing in our play-off matches which are on TV tonight and Monday.

Wish us luck :)

Will be watching, was at Wembley the last time you got there as my stepfather is a Swindon fan, was gutted at the time losing to Millwall. A team that had Austin and Ritchie as well? Always been some decent talent at the club.

I'd love Foderingham as well on a free from you guys but I guess that's unlikely.

Quick look on a Brighton forum and the consensus about Bennett is: "Get rid. Decent going forward but can't cross and a liability in defense."

I'm all for giving players a chance but based on that I doubt that he has a future at Villa.

i frequented their board quite a lot when Gardner was on loan, and the pair of them were almost universally hated around that time.

Whether they were scapegoats being outsiders I don't know but hopefully they can show Sherwood something as both have ability (imo)

I half-jokingly suggested we sign Stephen Quinn in another thread, partly because I played against him when I was a kid. Now I see that Darren Randolph (Blues' keeper) is out of contract and looking to move up a division. Played against him too.

I might have lost a yard of pace since I was 15 but I'm still holding out hope that Tim will give me a trial.

Just because a player hasn't enjoyed a good loan spell doesn't mean he won't make it. Andros Townsend (before QPR) and Ross Barkley spring to mind. Even Delph when he was back out on loan at Leeds a few years ago. I wouldn't give up on Bennett just yet, personally.

Edited by abdomlahor

Just because a player hasn't enjoyed a good loan spell doesn't mean he won't make it. Andros Townsend (before QPR) and Ross Barkley spring to mind. Even Delph when he was back out on loan at Leeds a few years ago. I wouldn't give up on Bennett just yet, personally.

He's 25.

• Like 1

One thing we should realise no player should be judged on how badly they performed under Lambert. Bacuna looked like a headless chicken at FB he now looks pretty solid who knows what miracles Sherwood can do with Gardner and Bennett

One thing we should realise no player should be judged on how badly they performed under Lambert. Bacuna looked like a headless chicken at FB he now looks pretty solid who knows what miracles Sherwood can do with Gardner and Bennett

Its not just Lambert. Bennett has also looked nothing but average at Brighton.

We need to sort out lb properly in the summer. Giving bennett another chance would be a mistake IMO.

You are right, just galling righting off another £3m.

Yep, we've really struggled to get a decent player in that position recently.

http://247bulletin.co.uk/aston-villa-and-everton-set-to-battle-for-spanish-goalkeeper-fabricio-agosto/

Aston Villa and Everton have both expressed an interest in Deportivo La Coruna goalkeeper Fabricio Agosto.

According to Spanish newspaper Deportivo Mundo, talks between the 27-year-old and the Spanish club over a new contract have broken down, sparking interest from the Premier League sides.

Agosto, who previously played for Real Valladolid and Real Betis , has kept ten clean sheets in 28 league matches for the 18th-placed La Liga club this season.

The 5ft 11in stopper started his career with Deportivo B in 2006 and gained one cap for Spain’s Under-20 side in 2007, before moving into the club’s first-team a year later.

A move to the Midlands would see Agosto competing with Brad Guzan and Shay Given for a first-team spot, while the Toffees see Agosto as a potential long-term replacement for Tim Howard 

5'11?

That's far too small to be a keeper in the PL

1 inch shorter than Given.

Far too small is a bit of an exaggeration I think

Given is also a short arse. 5'11 is not adequate height for a top flight keeper IMO. Unless he's got a leap like an NBA player, crosses wouid be a nightmare. Guzan has 5 inches on him, that's not an insignificant amount. 

• Like 1

But Given has had a successful 20 year career in the Premier League.

So I think saying someone one inch shorter than Given is "far too small to be a keeper in the premier league" is a bit of an exaggeration.

"Less than ideal" is probably a fairer assessment.

• Like 2

Shay has had an alright career, but I wouldn't say he's had a super successful one, and one of the main reasons for that is that he's poor at crosses which may or may not be due to his vertical handicap