Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

On 2/23/2018 at 16:46, The_Rev said:

If Saido Berahino doesn't score against Leicester tomorrow then he's gone a full two years without a goal.  43 appearances by my count.  I still think he'd have kicked on if he'd signed for Spurs.

I'd be very surprised if he's still playing football by the time he's 28. He will drop down the leagues and will then resurface in the MLS or the middle east. He is a total cretin, disgraceful attitude and a total lack of desire to improve his craft. His lifestyle is the reason why he has turned into a ginormous mound of shite of a footballer.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be very surprised if he's still playing football by the time he's 28. He will drop down the leagues and will then resurface in the MLS or the middle east. He is a total cretin, disgraceful attitude and a total lack of desire to improve his craft. His lifestyle is the reason why he has turned into a ginormous mound of shite of a footballer.

While I do completely agree that his attitude and off-pitch decisions have contributed to him reaching the point he is today, it's also true that his life story is a bit different from that of Joe Average Footballer and I don't think it's a massive stretch to say might well have contributed to him not being a model professional. 

Berahino's a funny one. Two years back he looked a top prospect but generally messing about and hardly playing for a year has cost his fitness and seemingly his motivation.

I doubt the Spurs move would've worked out. Would've just been back up to Kane and with all the temptations of London I imagine issues would've cropped up before too long.

There is a talented striker in there, we saw that for WBA his first two seasons but looks like one of those lost generation types now.

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

While I do completely agree that his attitude and off-pitch decisions have contributed to him reaching the point he is today, it's also true that his life story is a bit different from that of Joe Average Footballer and I don't think it's a massive stretch to say might well have contributed to him not being a model professional. 

Yes that's a fair point. It could be that he's just 'happy to be here', given what he experienced at a young age. I guess on a human level you can't really blame him for that. He has probably earned enough to retire several time over, which is a good thing given he won't be at the 'top' level much longer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ryan Babel - came on as a sub for Holland against Germany on Friday. Hadn't heard anything of him for at least 6 years.

He's still only 31. Feels like he's been playing for 25 years. 

Babel did quite well at Deportivo last season.

He's now at Beskitas. Actually they have quite a squad of "forgotten" players.....Pepe, Quaresma, Gary Medel and Jermaine Lens all play for them and upfront with Negredo they have Negredo and Vagner Love.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Babel did quite well at Deportivo last season.

He's now at Beskitas. Actually they have quite a squad of "forgotten" players.....Pepe, Quaresma, Gary Medel and Jermaine Lens all play for them and upfront with Negredo they have Negredo and Vagner Love.

He has banged in an amazing 5 in 25 league games this season.

Shola Ameobi

Just saw him come off the bench for Notts County (who have the same colours as Newcastle, and are also called the Magpies)...coached by his former (and also apparently current) teammate Kevin Nolan.

Trippiest shit I've seen in a long while.

• Haha 1

Was stumped by one today. There was an interview with Gavin McCann (now Bolton youth team coach) in one of the papers about England one cap wonders. Matt Jarvis was listed in 2011.

He was a good player at Wolves and think we were linked one season. Played like Snodgrass does. He went to West Ham, flopped and tbh I have no idea who he plays for now unless he retired. He can't be that old though, he was only early 20s playing for Wolves.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was stumped by one today. There was an interview with Gavin McCann (now Bolton youth team coach) in one of the papers about England one cap wonders. Matt Jarvis was listed in 2011.

He was a good player at Wolves and think we were linked one season. Played like Snodgrass does. He went to West Ham, flopped and tbh I have no idea who he plays for now unless he retired. He can't be that old though, he was only early 20s playing for Wolves.

He plays for Norwich well when I say plays he is paid by Norwich

Wow, don't think I've seen his name in one line up this season.

Edit: Soccerbase says he played one game for their Under 23 team in December 2016. Nothing since then so really bizzare. Still only 31.

Edited by VillaChris

Â