Players you've completely forgotten about

VillaChris

10 hours ago, Jarpie said:

One of the biggest "what if" stories in finnish football, he had a very good potential but never (got to) fullfil it. Could've been our best attacking player after Litmanen.

He still had a reasonably good career, had a great year at SHA (same year as JPA had his golden season for us) and then scored a few afterwards but injuries knackered him.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He still had a reasonably good career, had a great year at SHA (same year as JPA had his golden season for us) and then scored a few afterwards but injuries knackered him.

Another potentially promising finnish player in the early 2000s was Jonatan Johansson, he had a very good first season in Charlton, but injury cut it short. He was never able to recapture his earlier form either.

9 minutes ago, Jarpie said:

Another potentially promising finnish player in the early 2000s was Jonatan Johansson, he had a very good first season in Charlton, but injury cut it short. He was never able to recapture his earlier form either.

I remember him at Rangers, used to score loads after coming on as a sub and then did o.k as you say at Charlton.

Finland had an Iceland type of golden generation at the start of the 00s, Niemi, Jussi, Hyypia, Aki Rihilalti, Litmanen, Forssell, Johansson all premier league regulars at the time. Joonas Kolkka was a good player for PSV around that time aswell.

Didn't really impact much on the qualifying groups though although I think you got a 0-0 with England in one of them?

Edited by VillaChris

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I remember him at Rangers, used to score loads after coming on as a sub and then did o.k as you say at Charlton.

Finland had an Iceland type of golden generation at the start of the 00s, Niemi, Jussi, Hyypia, Aki Rihilalti, Litmanen, Forssell, Johansson all premier league regulars at the time. Joonas Kolkka was a good player for PSV around that time aswell.

Didn't really impact much on the qualifying groups though although I think you got a 0-0 with England in one of them?

Yeah, we had golden generation in late 90s and early 2000s, but our national team didn't know how to win games, mental-wise. Unfortunately Litmanen was mostly crocked by early 2000s already too. Still he had a gret career.

Forssell could have went right to the top if his knees weren't made out of soggy biscuits. Great footwork, deadly finisher. By the time he went back to Blues I think he had already failed a medical at Everton and that was pretty much the end of him as a genuine threat. Can't have been more than 23 or 24 :(

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Forssell could have went right to the top if his knees weren't made out of soggy biscuits. Great footwork, deadly finisher. By the time he went back to Blues I think he had already failed a medical at Everton and that was pretty much the end of him as a genuine threat. Can't have been more than 23 or 24 :(

I remember reading some finnish article/interview with some sport physio. He said that part of the Forssel's problem with the rehabilitation was that Forssell did too much strength training. I think that was probably common mistake back then.

So according to reports from Turkey ex Arsenal and Galatasaray player Emmanuel Ebouè has got HIV :( 

But his agent is refuting the news.

Apparently they found out when he did a medical before signing for Cypriot club Limassol.

He had abnormal blood values but nothing confirmed yet so hopefully it's down to something less dangerous.

He's back in England for further medical evaluation.

Rickie Lambert retired today...although if I was cruel I would say he retired the day he signed for Liverpool.

Leading league goalscorer this millennium. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

Rickie Lambert retired today...although if I was cruel I would say he retired the day he signed for Liverpool.

Leading league goalscorer this millennium. 

Gave it the "big I am" when he scored at VP last season. Calm down mate, it was your first goal in about 3 years, we forgot you even existed.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Lambert's last transfer act was to bid 5m for him.

Good job he turned us down as that would've been another past it player we'd have been lumbered with on a 3 year deal I'd imagine.

But 2.5 years into that 3 year deal he'd have scored 2 goals in 4 games and earned another 3 year contract.

On 28/09/2017 at 23:10, rodders0223 said:

Mmmm. Soggy biscuit.homer-drool.gif

Â