• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

So Sherwood's idea of winning is down to Benteke. Just like Lambert. It failed because he did not think about organizing the rest of the team good enough. Gung ho tactics.

You think that was like watching us under Lambert \/

Words absolutely fail me.

No Benteke, no goals. Just like under Lambert. Read.

Yet it's not the same at all.

Probably created more chances in that game than Lambert's last 5 combined. Chances were created for numerous players, Benteke just happened to take his.

• Like 1

I think Gil would have been better than Grealish for sure. He didn't do enough. He wasn't bad. He played well just didn't impact the game enough

Maybe I was watching a different game. I thought Grealish had a really good one. Certainly isn't a player I'd of brought up who shouldn't of played based on that performance. 

• Like 2

So Sherwood's idea of winning is down to Benteke. Just like Lambert. It failed because he did not think about organizing the rest of the team good enough. Gung ho tactics.

You think that was like watching us under Lambert \/

Words absolutely fail me.

No Benteke, no goals. Just like under Lambert. Read.

Think he means under Lambert it was no goals, with or without Benteke.

• Like 1

Softer than belly ache shit 

Still can't mark, position or pass it simple.

Pathetic defensive display that was full of school boy errors.

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

A nail biting match we really should have won.

I thought we dominated the play throughout and QPR never looked like putting an attack together (other than a few forays down our left by Matt Phillips)

The point isn't ideal but at least it keeps 3 points between us and QPR and Hull are now below us with a much worse run in than ours.

Obviously Benteke was MOTM but I though Delph, Cleverly and Sanchez were excellent as a midfield unit - they complimented each other well and always gave an option.

The downside was (as already pointed out) Richardson at LB - I don't know whether Lowton was being wrapped in cotton wool after injury but he surely has to start at LB against Spudzzz unless Cissokho is fit.

The defence was a bit rusty at times but only Clark has been playing regularly, with Vlaar and Richardson only just returning from injury.

I also thought Grealish did well on his first start, although there were worrying signs of Ashley Young-esque falling to the floor creeping in to his game.... stay on your feet Jack!

• Like 2

I'm angry. Really angry. To play so well in the first half, to be so completely in control, only to completely fall apart when QPR changed formation. We made their manager look like a freaking tactical genius. Unforgivable. We had no response other than relying on Benteke. How about pinning their wing backs down by bringing wingers on and go 4-2-3-1? How about some, any, kind of response when it became apparant they were taking control of every part of the pitch? How about doing something about Kieran bloody Richardson? Not to mention Gil. He might have helped...

Not losing was important, granted, but not to win this was inexcusable.

Edited by Michelsen
  • Like 3

Must have been a great game for the neutrals.

Great to see Benteke stepping up to the plate

However,I am disappointed in conceding 3 goals at home to a fellow relegation candidate who are in the bottom 3

Don't see us going anywhere while this prevails.

Wow, that was exciting, what a game! Thank you Tim and guys.

We really should have won, no doubt. Defensive errors cost us dearly. Bacuna, Clark, Sanchez/Cole.

The third goal was just totally unnessary. We had both Cole (?) and Sanchez against one of their players. Sanchez showed he has no football brains by going to the wrong side and taking himself out of play, while Cole was just too damn weak. Infuriatingly poor defending from both.

However, it was good we ended it with a high note. Best thing from this game was Benteke's hat trick. Maybe it'll carry over to the rest of our games, and we'll get to see the real Benteke again. The second goal was just pure genious.

I really enjoyed this game.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Was Ron Saunders tactically aware, was Brian Clough tactically aware?

I seem to recall these guys were well known for square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes. They built teams with players who all knew their specific roles and usually carried out their duties admirably.

They had players who were strong and durable and others with guile and the ability to open you up....overall they were tough and resilient.

IMO has has little to do with tactics and more to do with the above

Defence was shite tonight no leader and total shambles , the left back slot is killing us and the only solution is clark in that position  vlarr at right back. QPR had to make the change to three big lumps to stop tekkers we didn't respond to that and kept lumping the same ball in,grateful we got a draw but we do not help ourselves.

• Like 1

Guzan: 6 - Distribution was good, not sure he can be faulted for the goals or be entirely blameless either.

Bacuna: 6 - Good going forward but at fault for the first goal

Clark: 6 - Hard to fault him directly

Vlaar: 6 - His distribution going forward is good but he didn't do enough defensively and doesn't command the defence like a player of his experience should

Richardson: 2 - Poor going forward and can't defend

Sanchez: 6 - At times he looked back to 'the rock' status, but still loses possession in crucial areas

Cleverly: 7 - We have missed him

Delph: 6 - Did ok but still needs to do it for 90 mins

Grealish: 6 - Played very well at times, but so easy to get off the ball, needs to either learn how to dodge tackles better or be more physical

Gabby: 5 - Things didn't go his way but he wasn't anywhere near his best either

Benteke: 10 - Back to his very best

Cole: 6 - Actually did pretty well when he came on, but you still don't feel he'll make a difference

Zog: 6 - Reinvigorated the attack

Lowton: 6 - Did ok, almost set up a goal - odd substitution though

Sherwood: 6 - with Vlaar and Richardson and no Gil even on the bench proves that with his positivity comes huge naiveity at this level

Benteke, Delph and Cleverly all very good. Benteke man of the match for obvious reasons. Bacuna gets half a good mark for his attacking play.

Don't want to see Richardson in our team ever again.

Not enough but better to draw than to lose.

Good first half. Shambolic second half. Never want to see Richardson in a Villa shirt again. Overall a poor result and a huge opportunity missed. That result guarantees it will go to the last day. However could've been far, far worse.

Edited by Arj Guy

To only come out with a point after being so dominant in the first half is gutting, but their change to three at the back seemed to flummox us.

Richardson let us down, but we do have central defenders that are supposed to mark people too, so he shouldn't take all of the blame.

Two points down the drain.

Am I the only person that thinks Austin - who scored the third goal - should have definitely been sent off in the second half?! Even if tackling another player studs up into their shin isn't a straight red these days, wasn't it also him who made the deliberate hand ball in the first half which should be a yellow all day long? Cant believe it hasn't even been mentioned by anyone!

I think we played well first half, should have been a few up and weren't at it in the second, they nullified Benteke somewhat by surrounding him with giants, then played long balls forward which our makeshift defence struggled with, especially down their right (Phillips). All in all we could have won, probably just about deserved to, but a draw isn't the worst result in the world - we still have 3 points on QPR and have a little buffer to the bottom 3. I firmly believe games in hand mean little in the relegation places, the title race where they should be winning every game, but points on the board are far more important than games in hand for the bottom teams IMO. I think 5 more points will be enough and I think we'll get them

• Like 2

Â