• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Was Ron Saunders tactically aware, was Brian Clough tactically aware?

I seem to recall these guys were well known for square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes. They built teams with players who all knew their specific roles and usually carried out their duties admirably.

They had players who were strong and durable and others with guile and the ability to open you up....overall they were tough and resilient.

IMO has has little to do with tactics and more to do with the above

Difference was Saunders and Clough on the wholw won more than they lost.

The more I see Stoke and Swansea comfortably mid table, playing good football and actually getting good results just depresses the hell out of me.

Whatever stat you want to look at over the last 4 years we are a bang average team, really incredibly average.

You are massively overating us there. We are absolutely piss poor!

• Like 1

Am I the only person that thinks Austin - who scored the third goal - should have definitely been sent off in the second half?! Even if tackling another player studs up into their shin isn't a straight red these days, wasn't it also him who made the deliberate hand ball in the first half which should be a yellow all day long? Cant believe it hasn't even been mentioned by anyone!

I think we played well first half, should have been a few up and weren't at it in the second, they nullified Benteke somewhat by surrounding him with giants, then played long balls forward which our makeshift defence struggled with, especially down their right (Phillips). All in all we could have won, probably just about deserved to, but a draw isn't the worst result in the world - we still have 3 points on QPR and have a little buffer to the bottom 3. I firmly believe games in hand mean little in the relegation places, the title race where they should be winning every game, but points on the board are far more important than games in hand for the bottom teams IMO. I think 5 more points will be enough and I think we'll get them

Deliberate hand ball and then that foul on Sanchez. Yes I agree and I too noticed that. Lucky man.

Was Ron Saunders tactically aware, was Brian Clough tactically aware?

I seem to recall these guys were well known for square pegs in square holes and round pegs in round holes. They built teams with players who all knew their specific roles and usually carried out their duties admirably.

They had players who were strong and durable and others with guile and the ability to open you up....overall they were tough and resilient.

IMO has has little to do with tactics and more to do with the above

Difference was Saunders and Clough on the wholw won more than they lost.

Not based on tactical awareness they didn't.

How QPR kept 11 I don't know. Austin got away with one and Sandro got away with a clear second yellow after advantage. Had that happened it would have been plain sailing.

Richardson terrible. Completely owned by Philips all match!

• Like 1

Terrific game and thought some of our football was outstanding.

If wed played like that all season we would be comfortably top half.

Had we a left back we had it won comfortably..Guzan had nothing to do.

Sanchez and Delph very good, Gabby beginning to work genuinely well with Benteke, and Grealish was like Messi at times.......clearly worn out when taken off.

We could easily have scored 5.

I have no time or idea what people are on about when they say Sherwood is naive - do they really think they are smarter at this game than him

We were always going to be vulnerable too, we have been in the gutter since god knows when, but that type of all round perfromance will keep us up.

Really really enjoyed that game.at last.

And three goa;s at home ...

When fdi that last happen

See, it isnt naivety, it is attacking philosophy and long may it continue.

how on earth did you enjoy that? It was hell

Really not good enough. If we hope to survive in the Premier League, then we need three points against the likes of QPR at home. We're in big trouble.

Very odd selection tonight too. I know we're ravaged with injury but why Richardson gets in ahead of ANYONE is beyond me. I'd rather play Given in that position than him! Why Okore was dropped I'm not sure either, Vlaar was hardly holding defence together. Grealish starting when Sherwood says we are too lightweight seems odd too. Sanchez is far too slow and gets caught on the ball constantly but I know our injuries might force his selection.

Guzan - didn't distribute quickly or well enough. Bad communication early on too. Solid otherwise - 6

Vlaar - solid, but should win more headers and not as strong as he can be - 6

Clark - won every header going, not great when being taken on though - 7

Bacuna - good going forward, lazy getting back. Always a gamble what you'll get from him - 6

Richardson - I see no reason for him...existing. If I give him 1 it's being nice.

Sanchez - slow, not committed to winning a ball and lazy, scuffed passes. Not good - 4

Delph - the only midfielder who pushes us forward, tackles hard, passes well and moves forward - 8

Cleverley - surprisingly relieved he was back! Swept up well, but still passes poorly - 7

Grealish - clever feet, little end product but potential. Not sure starting was great idea though - 6

Agbonlahor - held up play well, good vision but little impact on goal - 7

Benteke - winning headers, getting involved. That's all we ask! Three well taken goals - 10

Sherwood - really odd first XI, Richardson should have been hauled off at half time at latest and didn't respond to QPRs change of formation that meant our midfield disappeared for half an hour - 6.

We're in big trouble.

However you look at it not beating the likes of QPR at home is bad news particularly when we were winning at half time. I think we are doomed.

I could not get to the game today but was exchanging texts with a mate as we road the roller coaster that is a Villa game. The question we asked and which could not easily be answered was when were we good for the whole of a game rather than just half or less?

Personally although not directly related to this game is I totally blame the current plight of the club on Lerner for his cataclysmic and disastrous ownership era. The only saving grace of relegation is that the clown will loses tens of millions of pounds. Cold comfort I know but comfort none the less.

Edited by Harry

Don't know how to feel about it. Happy we didn't lose, gutted we didn't win.

Don't think Sherwood is the man to take us forward. Pissed off that Gill didn't come on. Getting stupid now. 

Gil wasn't in the squad and by all accounts **** off home in a strop.

Villa were excellent first half, poor second. Richardson...stealing a living, piss poor footballer.

Shouldn't have subbed Grealish or Cleverly, both were doing just fine.

Benteke awesome first half and top quality equaliser.

Can't see us winning another game if we can't beat this shower, we are going to have to hope 3 other teams have a crappier run-in and that we can scrape a couple of draws.

• Like 1

I know we needed three points, I know we deserved three points, I know it's frustrating because we were the better team by a mile, I know it's annoying when a team full of players that are big gets one over a team of better players, I know the ref was a wazzock, I know how important results are over everything else right now.

But I really enjoyed that.

• Like 2

The good- Benteke's 2 goals , he can't claim the first as it would have ended up going out for a throw without the deflection :P

Vlaar back in for Okore

Grealish probably having his best game for us ( but still a long way to go )

The bad

Villa fans booing Richardson

The players running out of ideas in the second half

The over weight linesman who couldn't keep up with play and thus got a few decisions wrong

Needed 3 points but after going 3-2 down 1 point is better than none ... Personally I still think we are going down but ill be delighted to be proven wrong

And I I travelled 1205 miles to be at the game today ( plus the 115 miles home after the game ).... Do I win the Internet ?

Austin should have been off for that challenge on Sanchez. Then again Benteke was offside for our 1st goal.

When they scored their 3rd it felt like the world was ending, that feeling of accepting the inevitable. A point I feel wont be enough in the grand scheme of things but it of course is better than a defeat and being in the drop zone. We can still hope the rest keep losing or do the impossible and actually pick up a few unexpected points over the next few weeks. Wont hold my breath though

Â