Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

I would've thought Rugby was the national sport of Australia

From what I've gathered:

* rugby union: mostly middle class and up fan base (akin to the UK)

* rugby league: middle class and down fan base, localized to NSW and Qld

* aussie rules: middle class and down fan base, the rest

* association football: young, urban, more immigrant fan base

Since the map doesn't show any regional variation, it wouldn't surprise me if the source is a national, as opposed to a per-state survey (indeed, only the US and Afghanistan, AFAICT, show regional-level variations), in which case the rugby league and aussie rules fans pretty much cancel each other out and cricket wins by default.

I would have to disagree about South Korea being a soccer nation. they watch a fair amount on TV but ONLY the teams with Korean players. Younger lads are getting into soccer by the as a whole its a baseball nation. All you have to do is look at match attendances and TV schedules to see this. There are equal amounts of Park Ji Young fans as there are real soccer fans here.

Finding a grass pitch for an amatur to play on is almost impossible, and there is no kind of sunday league here

From what I've gathered:

* rugby union: mostly middle class and up fan base (akin to the UK)

* rugby league: middle class and down fan base, localized to NSW and Qld

* aussie rules: middle class and down fan base, the rest

* association football: young, urban, more immigrant fan base

Since the map doesn't show any regional variation, it wouldn't surprise me if the source is a national, as opposed to a per-state survey (indeed, only the US and Afghanistan, AFAICT, show regional-level variations), in which case the rugby league and aussie rules fans pretty much cancel each other out and cricket wins by default.

Pretty close.

QLD and NSW are Rugby, with as you say, the upper class leaning toward Union and the lower class leaning toward League.

All the other states are Aussie Rules dominant. The AFL is comfortably the biggest and most successful sporting league in the country.

Football is slowly emerging with the A League now about 8 years old. The support levels are still absolutely dwarfed by the AFL and NRL though.

Cricket is the one sport we all agree on I guess. Living in South Australia I think of Aussie Rules as our national sport because it's the one sport that's uniquely ours, and the AFL is enormous over here.

Went to the local football club clubhouse for the first time in a few years (banned, but this was a private function).

I presumed the prices would be 'competitive' what with it being a bit old school naff social - £5.50 for a can of guiness and a plastic bottle of coke - and I had to ask for a glass for the lady and the twunt huffed when I asked for ice.

r7qVp.png

Click for big

Talk about a north south divide! I'm sure I'm not the only one shocked to see Romania punching way above it's weight though, It's second only to South Korea in the quality of it's internet speeds. Bulgaria is another surprise in 3rd place. You learn something new every day, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

eReHQ.png

The world divided into regions of (roughly) equal population. Conclusion; lots of people live in China and India. I know most people know that, but when you see that the population of China is equal to that of western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South America and North America combined then it really hits home. Especially when the light blue group contains the 3rd most populous (USA) and 5th most populous (Brazil) nations on Earth.

• 2 weeks later...
Â