Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't know where to put this. Geotagged tweets to postcodes. Villa only ranked third where I live.

Villa unranked where I live (CV11) which I find difficult to believe, just based on the number of geotagged tweets I have made in this area. I'm 17 miles from Villa Park as the crow flies.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly my favourite thread in the off topic section. I especially like the American cities overlay latitude one. Going from LA to New York is like going from Spain to Russia. Stating the obvious here but the USA is HUGE.

Yep. My favourite way of thinking about it is that New York isnt that much further from London than it is from Los Angeles. When Concorde was flying, New York to London was faster than New York to L.A.

KQkuN0k.png

Another size comparison map; the Sahara Desert is really quite big.

Edited by The_Rev

With regards to the map on most popular sports in a country, I think the biggest sport in Kenya might be cricket. Not 100% sure, but I did have a Kenyan friend who told me how crazy they are about cricket in Kenya.

That's an infographic. not a map ;)

The general trend of the course of human history has been for humans to get less violent.

Evolution?

Or the threat of nuclear weapons ?

It would be hard to credit evolution for a propensity to be less violent as I can't see what sort of mutation would be selected for "positively" in that instance ?

Maybe it's just that we are learning from past mistakes.

Or the threat of nuclear weapons ?

It would be hard to credit evolution for a propensity to be less violent as I can't see what sort of mutation would be selected for "positively" in that instance ?

Maybe it's just that we are learning from past mistakes.

Stephen Hawkings said we don't want aliens visiting as they'll be more advanced and we'll be in trouble. Sir Patrick Moore reckons they'd be so far advanced they'd be likely to have put war behind them. Who knows.

It's an interesting point . Historically you would imagine that our more violent ancestors would have had more offspring than the meeker of the species but nowadays a tendency for violence would make you a less attractive mate, so maybe it is being slowly selected against. It would be nice to think that eventually the humans with a greater inclination for empathy (neurologically)would become more dominant.

Evolution != natural selection

(that is to say, natural selection is not the only evolutionary process)

((no matter how much some fools wish it were))

Genetic drift and mutation ?

It is only a theory anyway .

It doesn't mean theory in that sense though Brumerican. It's not a 'theory' in the sense that it could be a half-baked brain fart. There's loooads of science behind it. Unfortunately my laziness means I won't be able to find the episode of QI that explains it using a creationist's 'humourous' mis-use of the word 'theory' in order to 'debunk' the theory of evolution.

I was merely referring to the tendency to see biological evolution as the explanation for decidedly non-biological phenomena. Absolute idiocy.

Gould & Hayek FTW.

Oh I see, things such as economic trends/behaviour etc ? Got ya .

Thought you had made a huge scientific discovery and were keeping it to yourself. :D

Yep. My favourite way of thinking about it is that New York isnt that much further from London than it is from Los Angeles. When Concorde was flying, New York to London was faster than New York to L.A.

KQkuN0k.png

Another size comparison map; the Sahara Desert is really quite big.

We were doing this with Australia and Europe on another forum I post on.

It baffles me just how densely populated Europe is to what i'm used to.

If I drive from Adelaide to Melbourne, i'm going 750kms and about 9 hours. I might pass through 3 towns with more than 1000 people but other than that it's just open road

That distance in the UK would take me from Dundee to London and i'd pass by millions and millions of people.

Â