Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

More of an HTML5 app as opposed to a static map, Migrations Map is a great way to while away the hours: it tracks for just about every country on earth the number of migrants (people born in a country other than the one in which they currently live) living in and hailing from each country. For example, for the UK:

Migrants in the UK:

538k from Ireland

470k from India

322k from Pakistan

268k from Germany

159k from the USA

155k from Bangladesh

147k from Jamaica

142k from South Africa

130k from Kenya

109k from Italy

And for where Britons have expatriated

1.04m in Australia

823k in the USA

624k in Canada

249k in Ireland

218k in New Zealand

211k in Germany

148k in Philippines

108k in Spain

90k in France

50k in Pakistan

While for the USA

9.34m from Mexico

1.45m from Philippines

1.44m from Puerto Rico

1.24m from Germany (probably largely due to kids born on base)

1.04m from India

1.01m from China

1.00m from Vietnam

945k from Canada

888k from Cuba

827k from El Salvador

===

342k in Mexico

279k in Canada

234k in Puerto Rico

159k in the UK

157k in Philippines

148k in Germany

56k in Italy

54k in Australia

49k in Palestine

42k in France

720793864200ebb795bfb.jpg

I can think of at least one poster for whom a poster of this might make a decent gift.

George Eliot is a bit far east. I'm not being picky, but I can walk to her old stomping ground in about five minutes from where I am right now.

Oh, and:

MAQpJ.jpg

720793864200ebb795bfb.jpg

I can think of at least one poster for whom a poster of this might make a decent gift.

'tis a thing of beauty, really like that.

Again, not wishing to be picky but I'd have liked a bit of Alexander Cordell on there finding some room in South Wales.

I can't find Ted Hughes

is it just me that thinks Fanny Burney is funny?
Would have been great if she'd married a Mr Cockburn.

By the by, Ms Burney was a tough cookie - got breast cancer, and voluntarily had a mastectomy without anaesthetic. Ouch. :o

xtowO.jpg

Most popular websites in each country. Bit disappointed to see VT didnt make the #1 spot anywhere if I am being honest. :?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Countries of the world, colored by how free market they are (source: Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal.)

2012freemarkets.png

Dark green: free market (Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland)

Light green: mostly free market

Yellow: moderately free market

Orange: mostly unfree market

Red: repressed market (North Korea finish bottom)

xtowO.jpg

Most popular websites in each country. Bit disappointed to see VT didnt make the #1 spot anywhere if I am being honest. :?

Quite an interesting map ... If my geography is correct then Facebook is the most popular website in Mongolia ... Wonder if that is all tourists logging on from interweb cafes :-)

Not sure if anyone is interested but my tour guide sent the first Facebook post from North Korea the other week as the main hotel there has limited Internet access and they unblocked Facebook from the restricted list

They have 1m mobile phone subscribers there now and a 3G network ...at the moment the web is blocked from those 1m phone users but the talk is that soon it will be active

Â