Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

• 2 weeks later...
I've tried to do a clicky for this before, but I'm an IT dunce and it failed.

If it works this time, I'll write something underneath it to explain what it is.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?&app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=84620

An Error Occurred

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

Great!

This is a map (clicky on above post) drawn by Capt John Strange in July 1916 during the battle of the Somme. I'm doing this from memory, but I think he was attched to the Welsh who were primarily responsible for the July attack on Mametz Wood at the southern end of the Somme battlefield. I'm sure you can find Capt Strange somewhere on the web.

Anyway, just north of Mametz Wood you will see another wood marked Bazentin-le-Petit Wood... and running westwards from Bazentin-le-Petit Wood you will see 2 parallel trenches. They are in the top left hand corner of the map.

One of these trenches is called Aston Trench and the other is called Villa Trench.

The wood is very much still there, but amazingly even the tiny copses still exist and one can see almost all of them when comparing the Capt Strange map to Google Earth.

The "click on above post" gives the error message I quoted. Perhaps you are a subscriber (and logged in) to that forum? We aren't.

And the Aston Villa trenches thing is a binne dunne anyway.

Sorry!

Polls with questions like that aren't really very scientific.

You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that America is a country where religion is of below average importance.

This a country that only as recently as the 50's decided to plaster "in god we trust" on everything and add god into the pledge of allegiance to counter the communist atheist threat.

You're going to have a really hard time convincing me that America is a country where religion is of below average importance.

Compared to Europe and most of the developed world, you're absolutely right.

Compared to the likes of Uganda and Saudi Arabia, religion doesn't play a very big role in America.

• 3 weeks later...

ZyiFt.jpg

London

sC21q.jpg

Birmingham (with Stratford and Warwick)

FhWXa.jpg

New York

(full set -135)

From Flickr. Red dots are pictures taken by tourists, blue dots by locals. Yellow dots cant be determined if a tourist or a local.

Â