The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

They didn't turn up and they were beaten before they even stepped onto the pitch IMO. I've never seen a group of players so mentally fragile before in all my time supporting Villa. The confidence they built up pre Southampton was taken away from them by the time the full time whistle went and once they realised they were safe going into the Burnley game it was difficult to switch it on again.

I agree with the premise that Arsenal could have done that to anyone, I'm not sure many are disputing that, but the point many are making is that we didn't even turn up and have a go at challenging that.

That's what you get for the most part though, from a set of players who on the whole are a load of rubbish, and who have been fighting relegation for all of the last four years.  Sherwood did brilliantly to get what he did out of them, but there's always the distinct possibility that players will revert to being crap, when they are crap.

One thing i really dont buy is this 'not motivated for the cup final' nonsense.  It is said as if fact.  If we play to 100% of our ability and they also do the same (as they did) then they batter us.  Don't mistake them and their £££££££££££££s of players turning up on cup final day for us not being motivated.  It's just rubbish.

• Like 1

I never said they weren't motivated, I said the pressure had been lifted and subconsciously they weren't playing for their lives any more. Every single player would've wanted to win, but I think the pressure lifting just flipped a switch and focus went

I never said they weren't motivated, I said the pressure had been lifted and subconsciously they weren't playing for their lives any more. Every single player would've wanted to win, but I think the pressure lifting just flipped a switch and focus went

I don't buy that sorry.  The pressure hadn't been lifted against Southampton and we were battered.  I think that game did for us in the final to be honest.  It completely slaugtered all of the new found confidence, and the players almost to a man reverted to type. 

• Like 2

I think the smaller club is always up against more than just better players. Nobody really discusses this, but I think sleep is a big factor.

The night before, the Villa players all went to bed knowing that the next day might be the biggest occasion in their football lives, whereas it was almost like just another game for the Arsenal players, who probably all stayed at home.

I'd bet a lot that the Arsenal players all had an hour or two more sleep than our players, minimum. And that's how it looked on the pitch.

I don't buy that sorry. The pressure hadn't been lifted against Southampton and we were battered. I think that game did for us in the final to be honest. It completely slaugtered all of the new found confidence, and the players almost to a man reverted to type.

The pressure was gone after west Ham

Nah. Needed a win against Soton to guarantee safety. As it turns out, results elsewhere did that for us.

I know on paper we did, BUT it needed a highly unlikely sequence of events for us to go down after that result

Edited by P3te

I think there will be big changes to the U21 set up if Sherwood remains in charge

Hopefully a new manager for a start.

Edited by Isa

Nah. Needed a win against Soton to guarantee safety. As it turns out, results elsewhere did that for us.

I know on paper we did, BUT it needed a highly unlikely sequence of events for us to go down after that result

It didn't.

To say we were safe after West Ham is just wrong.

• Like 1

You mean the kind of unlikely sequence that saw Leceister and Sunderland pull free of the bottom 3 and eventually finish above us? The pressure was there, as was the confidence....

... until full time.

I think there will be big changes to the U21 set up if Sherwood remains in charge

Yep however much a club man Cowans is, he doesn't seem to have done well with the u21s. Sherwood knows u21s set ups so hopefully will see a desired knock on effect

Yep however much a club man Cowans is, he doesn't seem to have done well with the u21s. Sherwood knows u21s set ups so hopefully will see a desired knock on effect

Been saying for a while that we seem to have had a lot of success with underage teams (Next gen) but surely the point is to get better individuals for the first team, we seem to have been doing the opposite for a while, having a team who together are worth more than the sum of the parts, when all we really want is one part that will be very good. 

Â