The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Tim Sherwood called his team's display "unrecognisable" as they went down 6-1 at Southampton. 

It was the first half performance that so frustrated the boss as they conceded five goals - three in the space of a remarkable three minutes. 

He said his players were fully aware that the display was unacceptable. 

But the manager backed his side to come roaring back in the final two matches of the season - a home game against Burnley and the FA Cup final against Arsenal. 

He said: "It was unrecognisable to the team we know we can be. 

"Credit to Southampton, they punished every single mistake we made - and we made a few. 

"Our players didn't need to be told. They know. It wasn't just the defenders, it was everyone, including myself, we're all in it together. 

"That was one bad 45 minutes they have given me since I have been here. 

"We feel sorry for our travelling fans and all our supporters around the world. 

"But it isn't a bad turnaround overall. Now we have to win a game next week and we have to win a Cup Final. 

"There's no point me stripping paint off them in there. They know they haven't played well in that first period, I know that, an idiot knows that. 

"It wasn't good enough. We feel sorry for our fans. 

"There's no choice but to respond now. I am sure we will. 

"I have seen enough character in these boys over the last couple of months."

From the OS: http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~4721443,00.html

Edited by Fab
  • Like 1

A very bad day at the office.

Sherwood is the sort of win or bust manager I've been crying out for so I'm not suddenly going to start criticising him for shipping goals, even teams like Arsenal have conceded 8 in a premier league game.

You have to accept with us going out to win games all the time you'll get the odd thumping and this will happen next season. If you look back to MON's seasons when we were finishing 6th we usually got battered once a season e.g. 5-0 at Liverpool, 7-1 at Chelsea.

I'd rather it didn't but there will be bumps and it's vital people don't knee jerk and start shouting abuse at Sherwood when this happens as we go back to square one again.

• Like 2

If things stay this way we might see a very interesting side face Burnley next week.

Oops. Wrong thread but still relevant.

Edited by Fab
  • Like 1

Didnt think we would stay up.  We're 10 minutes away from safety. Tim has done a great job all things considered. 

Even though we lost today, it feels like a good day.

Agreed. He said when he got here that we need 6 wins, it looks like we've scraped by with 5 wins but still have a chance to make it 6 anyway. I really didn't expect that to happen, like seriously I thought he was talking rubbish. But we did it, and to be honest we could've got more points on the board in games we've played really well but not got anything from (or drew).

All in all looking back at today, I think maybe the high tempo football he has us playing caught up with us in many ways. Hopefully after a solid pre-season and some new signings, Tim can take us away from the awful times we've had these last few years. 

There was some tired bodies in there and some looked like they didn't want to get injured. We're safe finally so we can relax and enjoy fa cup. Would like to see fringe players next week with a few rested for the fa cup

• Like 1

There was some tired bodies in there and some looked like they didn't want to get injured. We're safe finally so we can relax and enjoy fa cup. Would like to see fringe players next week with a few rested for the fa cup

I hope Tim gives Kozak a start (if he is fit of course)

Yes you can blame Sherwood as much you as you like for bad tactics but the players didn't look at it all in the first half. Vlaar was poor but he was covering for Hutton a lot of the time as well. 

What a fantastic job he's done, kept us up, got us playing some great stuff and a cup final on top.  Superb Tim Sherwood.  Look forward to the future under him and I fully believe him when he says we won't be near relegation worry next season.

• Like 2

Overall Sherwood has performed minor miracles to keep us up and has done a better job than I could have imagined. Today has worried me though because to me it showed a manager who was tactically inflexible and extremely slow to react to what was a very obvious problem. Hopefully it's a learning exercise for him and it's something we will see addressed, but it's just a case of wait and see I guess. Here's to another season in the Premier League, cheers Tim!

• Like 1

Even if his reign ends in tears, I'll always be grateful to him for stearing us to safety this season - doubly so if he wins the cup. It should never be forgotten what a sorry state we were in before his arrival.

• Like 3

Even if his reign ends in tears, I'll always be grateful to him for stearing us to safety this season - doubly so if he wins the cup. It should never be forgotten what a sorry state we were in before his arrival.

It really shouldn't

The fact we've looked completely different (most of the time) means he deserves extra credit.  

Â