The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The same old names get mentioned as better than Sherwood but what have they won? Fat Sam? nothing Redknapp? An FA Cup and bankrupted the club. Sherwood wasn't my first choice but since he's been hear he's impressed me. He's picked a good back room squad. He's talked sense and motivated the players. What I hated about PL was the constant we played great crap. Sherwood says it how it is. He may turn out to be a flash in the pan but at the minute he's ticking all the boxes and if he keeps us up he deserves a full crack at it next year. It's nice to have our Villa back.

• Like 3

In principle, if Sherwood keeps us up then he thoroughly warrants the opportunity to manage us next season. However, if there was a genuine possibility to hire a seriously good manager, then as harsh as it would be on Sherwood, you could understand if the club took that option. For example, there have been some discussions on other forums about whether somebody like Rafa Benitez would be gettable depending on the ambition of the next owners. In that case, I'd be happy with that. Not because Benitez is a better manager but importantly because I highly doubt Sherwood ever would go on to be as good.

This isn't the case with Allardyce. I wouldn't even say he's better, he just has more experience. That isn't the same thing. Also can we stop speaking of Sam Allardyce as if he is some sort of managerial paragon?! The guy is retrograde, limited, tactically one-dimensional, predictable and bang average at best. **** me! I'd be truly disgusted if the club even gave the idea of ditching Sherwood for him a second's worth of consideration.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 1

My understanding is he has been given a three and a half year contract.

He is a wet day in the job and is trying to keep us up, so he needs every bit of support he can get.

Apart from the fact that some fans never fancied him from the start and are struggling to come to terms with their man, not being appointed.

What is the point in debating tim sherwoods presence......he's only just started.

Having watched the West Ham game on Sky a couple of weeks ago I think Big Sam would get a lot of stick from our fans. His style really is diabolically on the eye, it isn't a stereotype. Whilst he's a competent manager, he's hardly Klopp or Simione is he? The next one is out there somewhere. 

I m not saying its not an improvement on the tail end of the Lambert era. - That wouldn't have taken much.

I don't see Sherwood delivering anything other than another relegation battle next season - assuming he keep us up this season.

As for my negative analysis - I feel that if Big Sam were in charge next season - we would finish higher up the league than with TS 

The point pro/contra Sam/Tim is irrelevant.

we were going down under Lambert and probably out of the FACup.

Sam was not openly available. TS was, and came.

Since TS is here we're out of the relegation zone, going to Wemberleeeeee and along with playing some positive football we have our destiny in our own hands (considering who plays who).

I really dont want to waste my brain on what might be.

matchday after matchday as long as we are getting closer to survival I dont care.

Go Tim, Go Villa and may results go our way.

If we are a premier league team next year, well done Tim (& Tom Fox).

anything more than 1 wemberleeeeee trip is a bonus, and a welcome one

My problem is not with Allardyce or any other manager you care to mention. Each to their own. I could reel off 5 names instantly who I think would be gettable who I would have prefered at the time. But the time has passed, he's here and he's doing a good job.

The conversation is completely ridiculous. That is what is frustrating me, that I do not understand it. At all.

At least you admit you don't understand it. You may have a prolific post count and use some fancy words - but your knowledge if how football works is very limited at present.

Under Sherwood we've beaten 2 very poor teams and lost to a few average ones....true its early days - bur messrs Pardew and pullis had better stats in there first few games.

True he may limp home with a victory against QPR and one other....but is this any basis to suggest things will be better next season ?......in the real world ....

NO !

My problem is not with Allardyce or any other manager you care to mention. Each to their own. I could reel off 5 names instantly who I think would be gettable who I would have prefered at the time. But the time has passed, he's here and he's doing a good job.

The conversation is completely ridiculous. That is what is frustrating me, that I do not understand it. At all.

At least you admit you don't understand it. You may have a prolific post count and use some fancy words - but your knowledge if how football works is very limited at present.

Under Sherwood we've beaten 2 very poor teams and lost to a few average ones....true its early days - bur messrs Pardew and pullis had better stats in there first few games.

True he may limp home with a victory against QPR and one other....but is this any basis to suggest things will be better next season ?......in the real world ....

NO !

What an absurdly patronising post.

What 'fancy words' has DDID even used? Totally baffling.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

I want a manager to grow his reputation with us.....not one that has left all his energy , loyalty and comittment at another club.

We seen first hand what happened to sir Ron when he moved on.....his heart was still with villa.

Tim sherwood in terms of managerial experience is a virgin.....let him grow in to a top manager, with us.

I like this thinking TRO. Let the world be filled with managers who had their best days at Villa, and who still yearn to come back. Not the other way around.

• Like 1

NO !

Gross. 

NO !

Gross.

Awful at Spurs, what has he done since?

Who do I think I am, coming in here with my fancy words, my fancy notions of what constitutes support and stability.

Ermahgerd. Take my posts away.

Well damn boy, look at you with yer high falutin' grammar n things and yer fancy spellin'. 

• Like 2

NO !

You seem very blinkered with your view Smetrov.

In Sherwood's first two games, though we didn't get any points, there was a noticeable difference in our play. We were confident, attacking, looked stronger at the back and seemed to have an actual game-plan. Against Newcastle we were beaten by one goal at St James Park, and against Stoke we were only denied a point because of a Ron Vlaar blunder.

Looking at those results alone doesn't tell the whole story, and you know that.

Since then, Sherwood must be credited with getting the 'feel good' factor back around the club. His style of play might not be vintage and it might not be tactically complex but it's effective, and just from watching his press conferences, it's easy to see how he fills players (and fans!) with confidence.

If he continues to get a few wins/ losses in the way he's done so far, then describing us as 'limping home' will be doing him a disservice, in my opinion.

Also, Pulis and Pardew might have done better in their first few games, but what about the many managers who didn't do better in their first few games? No mention of them.

What Sherwood has done in his first few games has eclipsed the mediocrity that we had seen from Lambert in the games prior, with the same players to call upon, and that's what we wanted from him, in the short-term anyway.

• Like 3

NO !

You seem very blinkered with your view Smetrov.

In Sherwood's first two games, though we didn't get any points, there was a noticeable difference in our play. We were confident, attacking, looked stronger at the back and seemed to have an actual game-plan. Against Newcastle we were beaten by one goal at St James Park, and against Stoke we were only denied a point because of a Ron Vlaar blunder.

Looking at those results alone doesn't tell the whole story, and you know that.

Since then, Sherwood must be credited with getting the 'feel good' factor back around the club. His style of play might not be vintage and it might not be tactically complex but it's effective, and just from watching his press conferences, it's easy to see how he fills players (and fans!) with confidence.

If he continues to get a few wins/ losses in the way he's done so far, then describing us as 'limping home' will be doing him a disservice, in my opinion.

Also, Pulis and Pardew might have done better in their first few games, but what about the many managers who didn't do better in their first few games? No mention of them.

What Sherwood has done in his first few games has eclipsed the mediocrity that we had seen from Lambert in the games prior, with the same players to call upon, and that's what we wanted from him, in the short-term anyway.

I don't disagree with much of what you say. Sherwood seems spot on with some of his analysis "we need quality - not just running around" was a bang on analysis. And we are much better to watch, create many more chances than under lambert - credit to TS for all that.

But really have we fallen so far - that loosing to Stoke, Newcastle, Swansea - warrants the 'Doing a good job' badge ?  - in the PL we weve won 2 games, one by the tightest of margins - and the other v a club in total chaos.

TS fixtures have been relativity easy - heaven help us today when we face one of the elite teams .

As I have said before though - I am fickle - If he wins us games I will on here singing his praises - if he doesn't I won't.

His results so far are certainly better than PL would have got - but i am not carried away with 2 victories against lowly opposition. Thats never good enough for Aston Villa.

Â