The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Not sure publicly stating we should be getting at least a point for every game now. This team has no confidence and putting unrealistic targets like this won't help will it?

We're on 22 points. The lowest total anyone has got and remained in the division is Albion with 34. We have 12 games left. 22+12=34. To be honest, he's stating something that's basically a fact. I mean, it could be slightly less than 34 required, but it'll be there or thereabouts. 

im looking for plus points this morning. His quotes after the game were spot on about desire and quality. I too saw a bit more application a bit more desire from the players yesterday we had enough chances to have won the game. We obviously didnt capitalise on them and I too saw a lack of quality from the players. He's pretty much had a look at everyone now. Still in the same position though and getting 0 points from Stoke, Newcastle and W.Brom will be disasterous.

6 wins please mate

Not sure publicly stating we should be getting at least a point for every game now. This team has no confidence and putting unrealistic targets like this won't help will it?

We're on 22 points. The lowest total anyone has got and remained in the division is Albion with 34. We have 12 games left. 22+12=34. To be honest, he's stating something that's basically a fact. I mean, it could be slightly less than 34 required, but it'll be there or thereabouts. 

Thinking about it, we only have 11 games left, which means he's even more right.

Gabby has a place on this team but it's on the wing he was out wide today a lot which helped defenders drag away from Benteke. Gabby still has blistering pace I thought it was very odd he was replaced by Weimann and wasn't at all surprised we didn't create another chance for the rest of the match!

As for Bacuna, probably hasn't got the engine. Would you choose someone who can run 12k in a match vs someone who can run 6k?

I'd go:

-------------------BACK 4-------------------

Lowton---Delph-----Westwood-----Gabby

--------------------Gill----------------------

------------------Benteke------------------

Look up our scoring ratio when Lowton is in the team compared to when he isn't. It's MUCH higher than the team average. Him and Gabby can both help the team defensively when required.

What's Gabby good at? Running fast.

What's he not good at? Interplay and finishing.

So why play him right next to Benteke in a 4-4-2? That's what we had been doing and he literally has been anonymous. Gabby is also capable of something close to a half decent cross unlike our useless wingbacks.

This with Sinclair in for Agbonlahor

Thinking about it, we only have 11 games left, which means he's even more right.

Think about it again.We ONLY have to finish above QPR,Burnley and Leicester and I cant see them getting anywhere near 28 points.

I wish he would stop saying 'we need to win 6 games out the last 11' 

We have only won 5 of the last 27

I think he is setting the bar high something that hasn't happened at this club for a long, long time and I think he is right to do so. I'd much rather he said we need six wins, or that we need points from all our remaining games, rather than him setting the bar low and be saying we need another 8 points to be safe.

For too long our players have been going into games just coasting along almost playing as though they are oblivious to the fact of how much trouble we are in. Delph just a week or so ago said he hadn't even contemplated relegation and I think he spoke for the whole squad.

I still maintain that this squad is punching well below its weight and is comfortably good enough on paper to stay up. I think they beleive it as well but they have failed miserably to show it. For me their attitude as almost been that things will come good and we have plenty of games still to get it right. That isn't the case anymore is it and I think by Sherwood coming out and saying both publicly and I am certain to their faces that we need points now, we need points from every game, we need six wins, he is putting a pressure on the players that hasn't been there. They have to me been oblivious to the fact that we are in deep shit.

Yesterday for the first time this season they played like a group of players that know they are in a battle. Everything they did from the first minute to the last had a lot more urgency about it from closing opposing players down to getting the ball forward quicker. I think the penny has finally dropped. Clearly we still have a multitude of other issues to resolve but it is a start and I think that extra sense of urgency and realization of the fact we are in trouble and running out of games combined with the extra quality I believe we have over the other sides at the bottom means we will get out of this mess and stay up.

• Like 3

I wish he would stop saying 'we need to win 6 games out the last 11' 

We have only won 5 of the last 27

I think he is setting the bar high something that hasn't happened at this club for a long, long time and I think he is right to do so. I'd much rather he said we need six wins, or that we need points from all our remaining games, rather than him setting the bar low and be saying we need another 8 points to be safe.

For too long our players have been going into games just coasting along almost playing as though they are oblivious to the fact of how much trouble we are in. Delph just a week or so ago said he hadn't even contemplated relegation and I think he spoke for the whole squad.

I still maintain that this squad is punching well below its weight and is comfortably good enough on paper to stay up. I think they beleive it as well but they have failed miserably to show it. For me their attitude as almost been that things will come good and we have plenty of games still to get it right. That isn't the case anymore is it and I think by Sherwood coming out and saying both publicly and I am certain to their faces that we need points now, we need points from every game, we need six wins, he is putting a pressure on the players that hasn't been there. They have to me been oblivious to the fact that we are in deep shit.

Yesterday for the first time this season they played like a group of players that know they are in a battle. Everything they did from the first minute to the last had a lot more urgency about it from closing opposing players down to getting the ball forward quicker. I think the penny has finally dropped. Clearly we still have a multitude of other issues to resolve but it is a start and I think that extra sense of urgency and realization of the fact we are in trouble and running out of games combined with the extra quality I believe we have over the other sides at the bottom means we will get out of this mess and stay up.

I agree with a lot of what you say, IMO stating we need to win 6 out of 11 will be a daunting task/thought for most of this group of players when they have only won 5 out of 27. 

As I've said in another thread, i think most of the players have lost it big time mentally. so just take it One game at a time then blow away the cobwebs.

Don't put anymore pressure on them than whats needed from 3 points to the next 3 points! 

Looking to far ahead can cloud whats in front of you.

Edited by Kingman

Think about it again.We ONLY have to finish above QPR,Burnley and Leicester and I cant see them getting anywhere near 28 points.

We have worst GD though which could count imo teams have been relegated in the past because of it

The manager talking frankly and not mincing his words is refreshing to me to be honest.

Lambert was always too guarded and really sounded confused a lot of the time about with what he was saying. 

For the straight talking character I much prefer Sherwood.

Anyway back to the issue of points... I think Sherwood will pretty much say to them that losing Tuesday isn't really an option. If either QPR or Burnley were to win their next game and move on to 25 it is pretty much a 4 point gap given our woeful goal difference. Sunderland on 25 seem out of our reach at the moment. The psychology of it will start to kick in. Also heaven forbid Leicester were to win and move on to 21 that would bring them back into it as well! (at least for a while)

In my opinion we must NOT get into this nonsense that we just have to 'better QPR and Burnley'. That is a very dangerous way of looking at it. We're one bad week away from looking at a seemingly insurmountable task. We just have to look at our game whoever it is and aim for as many points from it as possible. It's a tall tall order to beat West Brom midweek, if we have to take a point so be it but then the Sunderland game is pretty much do or die. 

Glad to hear that Tim's "ramping up the pressure."   :wacko:

Wha? What the hell does that even mean? 

I mean, aren't we like two mothercruking years PAST the point where we ought to be "ramping up" the pressure? What kind of bullshite comment to the press is that?

The players don't lack pressure. What they lack is skill -- and some frickin' management brains.

If I hear one more stupid comment about our players being "lazy," I am going to vomit. That's utterly absurd -- and unfair. They are clearly working their asses off. They are a textbook example of a squad coached badly. They haven't any team coherence.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

I think that with the amount of negativity surrounding the club he is the perfect man to be talking to the media and motivating the players. He has endless optimism and he's talking about quality and belief and if he can make the players believe that then we'll be fine, and I think if anyone can boost the players' confidence then it is him.

HOWEVER, I think the damage is done. We clearly looked better in the Newcastle game and he's instilled a bit of fight, but it isn't enough and I don't think there is much to be done about it. I'm glad he's giving it a good go and doing all he can to motivate the team and he obviously can never admit defeat, but I've sort of admitted defeat personally at this point. I don't think they can turn it around and the problem is I think the players believe that as well.

• Like 1

I think that with the amount of negativity surrounding the club he is the perfect man to be talking to the media and motivating the players. He has endless optimism and he's talking about quality and belief and if he can make the players believe that then we'll be fine, and I think if anyone can boost the players' confidence then it is him.

HOWEVER, I think the damage is done. We clearly looked better in the Newcastle game and he's instilled a bit of fight, but it isn't enough and I don't think there is much to be done about it. I'm glad he's giving it a good go and doing all he can to motivate the team and he obviously can never admit defeat, but I've sort of admitted defeat personally at this point. I don't think they can turn it around and the problem is I think the players believe that as well.

YEah it's too little too late and any positives could soon evaporate into hot air if we don't start winning soon. I can see us not winning another game if we don't beat Albion to be honest. I think we're completely shot. If Sherwood cannot (I don't blame him if he can't) turn some green shoot of recovery into some solid points on the board we are ****, and will stay ****.

• Like 1

No way on earth it will be possible to stay up with 29. Or 30, it'll need much more like 34+. Which unless we get 3 more points very very soon, will be completely and utterly beyond us.

These players should face the fans in a forum just to show what gutless cowards they are. No fight no passion. Do they care about the club because I have seen nothing to suggest utter wise. They hid behind lambert now nowhere to hide and they are still spineless and letting the club down

I'd be surprised if it took more than 34 points to survive this season. So, with 12 more points needed would it really be too much to ask to beat Burnley, QPR and West Ham at home with draws against the baggies, Sunderland and any one of Swansea, Spurs, Southampton or Everton? Surely that's not too much to ask?

I'd be surprised if it took more than 34 points to survive this season. So, with 12 more points needed would it really be too much to ask to beat Burnley, QPR and West Ham at home with draws against the baggies, Sunderland and any one of Swansea, Spurs, Southampton or Everton? Surely that's not too much to ask?

Pretty sure it is unfortunately. If we can't beat Newcastle then we'll struggle to beat anyone.

Pretty sure it is unfortunately. If we can't beat Newcastle then we'll struggle to beat anyone.

I think we will beat the baggies on Tuesday.

• Like 1

Â