The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Well, he didn't mention our European Cup win, so it's a good start ;)

Indeed. **** me, what a breath of fresh air that is. I can't be the only one who wants that monkey off our back for the time being, lets start thinking about that again when we are actually back in Europe. 

• Like 2

He mentioned Villa asked him to come and "present" which is nice. 

It's not as though we went chasing him begging to him to join.

He said something like "Fortunately, they liked what I had to say".

So, despite his clear lack of experience, it sounds as though Fox wanted to talk to him and see what he thought of him.

Sherwood is an overly confident man and a bit of a dick, but sometimes when people believe their own hype as much as he does, things just come off for them. Hoping the Villa job will be one of them.

I've come round to the fact that his up and at 'em approach might just be enough to keep us up, but beyond that massive doubts remain.

Huge game this weekend - needs to get some momentum quickly.

I'm hoping that the identification and recruitment of our current squad was more to do with the scouting network and less to do with Lambert alone (although given the current economic state of our club I find it hard to imagine that we have in place a comprehensive and efficient scouting network)

I think it was much more to do with our scouting set up and people like Paddy Riley than Lambert.

So i'm not concerned one bit that our transfers will move away from trying to bring in the likes of benteke, sanchez and gill.

I really hope you're right - certainly when transfers didn't work out Lambert was blamed so I'm guessing it's not as black and white as you suppose

Still worried about his backroom staff

He needs them in place asap

I hope he has a coach in mind although it sounds as though he's a bit more of a coach himself than Lambert. I'd like to see him be big enough to bring in some experience as an assistant. We all know he's the boss, but it wouldn't harm him to have a wise head to turn to and someone who knows the club would be great. Brian Little said he'd be happy to help us in some way, I think someone like him would be terrific, even if it's just until the summer and then the position can be reassessed, or Ramsey at QPR might be available again. 

• Like 1

I'm hoping that the identification and recruitment of our current squad was more to do with the scouting network and less to do with Lambert alone (although given the current economic state of our club I find it hard to imagine that we have in place a comprehensive and efficient scouting network)

I think it was much more to do with our scouting set up and people like Paddy Riley than Lambert.

So i'm not concerned one bit that our transfers will move away from trying to bring in the likes of benteke, sanchez and gill.

I really hope you're right - certainly when transfers didn't work out Lambert was blamed so I'm guessing it's not as black and white as you suppose

What if he's wrong, what if it was ALL down to Lambert (even though I think we both know the truth is somewhere in between). Does this automatically mean that Sherwood will be poor in this area? For somebody who remained positive in the darkest of times, I'm confused by your negativity now. 

There was a bit at the start too which hinted after this season there shouldnt be any more struggle as if something may be happening in regards to a takeover.

I thought that too, I don't know if it's just wishful thinking but he did say clearly that the short term goal is obviously keeping Villa in the PL, but long term the goal is to push on... I suppose this could mean towards a mid table finish... but I'd take solid mid-table to be honest, and build from there. 

i just think it meant exactly what he said, short term stay up this season, long term get stabilised in the league.

What if he's wrong, what if it was ALL down to Lambert (even though I think we both know the truth is somewhere in between). Does this automatically mean that Sherwood will be poor in this area? For somebody who remained positive in the darkest of times, I'm confused by your negativity now. 

I could never quite believe that any manager is responsible for scouting players, but would certainly have the final say.

In that regard they of course have responsibility for good or bad outcomes, but initial recommendations it would make sense to come from the scouting network, which I understand is headed up by Reilly, and that presumably will not change, no matter who the manager is.

I hope he has a coach in mind although it sounds as though he's a bit more of a coach himself than Lambert. I'd like to see him be big enough to bring in some experience as an assistant. We all know he's the boss, but it wouldn't harm him to have a wise head to turn to and someone who knows the club would be great. Brian Little said he'd be happy to help us in some way, I think someone like him would be terrific, even if it's just until the summer and then the position can be reassessed, or Ramsey at QPR might be available again. 

I could be wrong but I don't think he gets involved in day-to-day coaching at all - Chris Ramsey looked after that side for him

I could be wrong but I don't think he gets involved in day-to-day coaching at all - Chris Ramsey looked after that side for him

I think that was true when he was taking the first team but I'm pretty sure he was coaching when he was looking after the youth teams. 

I could never quite believe that any manager is responsible for scouting players, but would certainly have the final say.

In that regard they of course have responsibility for good or bad outcomes, but initial recommendations it would make sense to come from the scouting network, which I understand is headed up by Reilly, and that presumably will not change, no matter who the manager is.

Yep that's how i see it.

I think the players were identified fitting the criteria of what the club were looking for and lambert probably had the final say on which ones he wanted.

I think the same thing will continue.  I don't think we will see a massive change in the type of players we go for.

You might misunderstand me or maybe I've not explained myself

I think Sherwood could well be the answer short term, but I have no knowledge on which to draw on as to whether he can build a team over the medium term. I hope he can but given the past constraints it will be a difficult job (maybe those constaints will change)

In short I'm positive in the short term but need some evidience / track record to be positive longer term

• Like 1

I think that was true when he was taking the first team but I'm pretty sure he was coaching when he was looking after the youth teams. 

Not from what I understand - I thought it was more an administration / academy director type role

Â