Our midfield problem

Mic09

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

How does a  player like Westwood get worse playing at a lower level? You really have to be spectacularly shit for that to happen 

Interesting point I reckon.

I haven't watched premier league football since we were there. I watched some the other day and the difference between it and the championship was startling.

The football and the pressing is way slower. More calculated and probing. Once a team gets the ball, the other team drops back into positions and reduces options for the player on the ball.

In the championship there's faster and more intense pressing. It's higher energy. It's more like trying to panic the player than reduce his options.

When you have someone like Westwood who built his entire career on recycling the ball and keeping possession, when the harrying and hurrying increases he's suddenly exposed. His lack of physicality and athleticism are really shown up in a league where every player needs to be fast and strong, with ability on the ball a much lower priority. It's why cup games bring lots of upsets for lower league teams, there's a huge disparity in styles.

I still think Westwood would be a good player in a premier league team. Him being a one trick pony doesn't help down here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darrenm said:

I haven't watched premier league football since we were there. I watched some the other day and the difference between it and the championship was startling.

The football and the pressing is way slower. More calculated and probing. Once a team gets the ball, the other team drops back into positions and reduces options for the player on the ball.

In the championship there's faster and more intense pressing. It's higher energy. It's more like trying to panic the player than reduce his options.

When you have someone like Westwood who built his entire career on recycling the ball and keeping possession, when the harrying and hurrying increases he's suddenly exposed. His lack of physicality and athleticism are really shown up in a league where every player needs to be fast and strong, with ability on the ball a much lower priority. It's why cup games bring lots of upsets for lower league teams, there's a huge disparity in styles.

I still think Westwood would be a good player in a premier league team. Him being a one trick pony doesn't help down here.

That's a really good analysis Darren. I think he is a big confidence player as well. One thing with Westwood he has a great vision. He always seems to be in the right place when we are creating chances near the box, but has to be one of the worst finishers I've seen. If he could finish he would be a 15m+ player because he would score so many goals.

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

That's a really good analysis Darren. I think he is a big confidence player as well. One thing with Westwood he has a great vision. He always seems to be in the right place when we are creating chances near the box, but has to be one of the worst finishers I've seen. If he could finish he would be a 15m+ player because he would score so many goals.

i think i must press the report button

• Like 2

Whilst I do not subscribe to the possibility that Ashley Westwood could become a £15m+ player (sorry Demtri C)I do notice his ability when we are in possession/on top of games.

We have not needed a player with his attributes for around about the whole time he has been at the club which is why he has struggled in my opinion,as what he has to offer has been pretty useless in a struggling team.Place him alongside top players an maybe we would all be saying something along the lines of "he links play so well" or "we are not as fluent without him".

When he leaves he will have an average career elsewhere maybe even in the premier league.

He is not as useless as some would make out, and his treatment by many fans is shameful as in my opinion as he has only every given his best(which is still average granted), the problem has lay elsewhere (lack of good team selection/tactics and the sometimes total lack of support for our younger players from the senior professionals around them.

Edited by MarkLillis

No disrespecting VTers

But

No matter how you analyse/quote stats/list excuses and/or anything anyone can come up with

One thing has been and will remain

ASHLEY WESTWOOD is a shit footballer not worthy of an AVFC shirt in PL or Ch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

i think i must press the report button

I know sounds wild but seriously if you look in games when we do create fast counter attacking plays (not often I know) Westwood always seems to be in right place and then shoots the ball miles wide!

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I know sounds wild but seriously if you look in games when we do create fast counter attacking plays (not often I know) Westwood always seems to be in right place and then shoots the ball miles wide!

Agreed. In which case he offers nothing except the breakdown of a promising attack. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, darrenm said:

Disagree completely. Physicality and athleticism is much higher in the premier league, that's why someone like Cameron Jerome can score a few goals in the prem and no teams are interested in McCormack. 

Westwood continues to struggle because he's not a very good player, previously he had better players around him that made his weaknesses less obvious (though some have seen it for a long time) and now our midfield is average he stands out as garbage a mile off. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, darrenm said:

Westwood has never been a good player in a premier league team. Why would that change now

• Like 1

I'm gonna have to ignore this thread for the rest of the day.

because I use so many likes agreeing with so many post stating how shit AW is, I dont know how nany likes I have left

I think I'll go to the Gaby & Hutton threads, then see how long before I run out of likes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, darrenm said:

Then I'm waiting with baited breath to hear that Pep, Jose & Conte will start a bidding war to buy the final piece in the jigsaw puzzle putting killer passes through to Aguero, Ibrahimovic or Costa

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

Then I'm waiting with baited breath to hear that Pep, Jose & Conte will start a bidding war to buy the final piece in the jigsaw puzzle putting killer passes through to Aguero, Ibrahimovic or Costa

They would use the lack of proper players excuse for him there aswell. Scrubs like Kante, De Bruyne and Herrera would let him down

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What problem? ;)

Our midfield this season!

Lansbury 6 goals 3 assists
Hourihane 7 goals 11 assists 
Bjarnason 6 goals 0 assists 
Adomah 3 goals 5 assists 

22 goals - 19 assists 

I'm quite intrigued how we're going to line up now.

Anyone reckon SB might opt for a midfield diamond? I don't expect Jedinak to be a week in week out player now but he'll still have his uses particularly in tough away games.

Something like:

Jedinak

Thor-       Hourihane

Lansburh/Grealish

seems logical to me especially if another striker comes in.

Â