Our midfield problem

Mic09

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if I played for Villa the ball would just hit me at least 5 times in a half. That's more than these guys averaged. Wow. 

Its the butt of many jokes how us overweight, middle aged fans (just speaking for myself of course) claim we could do better than these guys on he pitch. But 3 touches for good sake, if i played instead of westwood today how could i have possibly contributed less? 

That is a truly horrific stat and one that tells you all you need to know about the bloke. 

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think we need five decent central midfielders in the squad to progress. 

I'm not sure any of the five we have are good enough.

Its stuff like that( I agree with) that tells me to ignore promotion for this season.

There is simply too much repair work to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Its the butt of many jokes how us overweight, middle aged fans (just speaking for myself of course) claim we could do better than these guys on he pitch. But 3 touches for good sake, if i played instead of westwood today how could i have possibly contributed less? 

That is a truly horrific stat and one that tells you all you need to know about the bloke. 

The fact that it has gone on unabated for so long is the biggest amazement for me.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

The fact that it has gone on unabated for so long is the biggest amazement for me.

Especially considering we have spent the best part of £100m in the last 2 windows. 

1 minute ago, Stratvillan said:

Some stats lie - these don't.

We sign 2 midfielders we will get close to the playoffs.

As I've said before you can't judge the defence or forwards with a midfield as clueless as ours.

Absolutely. We aren't a million miles away without a midfield. A couple of good signings transforms the whole team. 

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I am fully aware that you can't have half a touche, the numbers just made the maths easy :trollface:

Half a touche.  Is that like a mildly amusing response which is almost to the point? 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Especially considering we have spent the best part of £100m in the last 2 windows. 

Don't say that......it will be the next topic for a public enquiry.

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Actually they do. The stats appear to be wrong.

Because a few people who usually defend him say so?

Opta seem to be a pretty respectable company when it comes to providing accurate football statistics. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Because a few people who usually defend him say so?

No, because a poster went back and watched the periscope footage and concluded as such.

It's got nothing to do with defending him. Concluding that someone did in fact touch the ball more than 3 times is hardly high praise is it?

Everyone who has questioned that stat has clarified that they're not defending Westwood and that he was crap yesterday. Don't try and turn this into that sort of debate.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Our midfield problem is most definitely a problem. 

Its more than a problem.....its a serious issue ( in footballing terms of course)

Its in danger of derailing every bit of improvement.

Edited by TRO

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, because a poster went back and watched the periscope footage and concluded as such.

It's got nothing to do with defending him. Concluding that someone did in fact touch the ball more than 3 times is hardly high praise is it?

Everyone who has questioned that stat has clarified that they're not defending Westwood and that he was crap yesterday. Don't try and turn this into that sort of debate.

So Opta or grainy periscope footage filmed from the stands. Again I know which one seems more respectable and reliable. 

I'm happy to admit it might be a mistake, I'm not convinced it is but it's clearly those who have defended him in the past jumping to make out it's a bullshit statistic. 

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So Opta or grainy periscope footage filmed from the stands. Again I know which one seems more respectable and reliable. 

I'm happy to admit it might be a mistake, I'm not convinced it is but it's clearly those who have defended him in the past jumping to make out it's a bullshit statistic. 

It's a mistake.

I was on my lunch so just watched the first 6 or 7 minutes of it myself and he has a few touches, some of which are successful passes which shows that stat is incorrect as well.

If you want to turn it into a "defending westwood" debate then go for it.

For me it was investigating whether a seemingly impossible stat was exactly that. It seems it was.

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm not sure I care whether he touched the ball 3, 4, 5 or 6 times. He was a passenger, as he is far too often. 

Which absolutely everybody has agreed with.

• Like 2

Â