Our midfield problem

Mic09

53 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Because a few people who usually defend him say so?

Opta seem to be a pretty respectable company when it comes to providing accurate football statistics. 

:rolleyes: watch the **** clip yourself.

39 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So Opta or grainy periscope footage filmed from the stands. Again I know which one seems more respectable and reliable. 

I'm happy to admit it might be a mistake, I'm not convinced it is but it's clearly those who have defended him in the past jumping to make out it's a bullshit statistic. 

what a joke. you clearly aren't happy to admit it's a mistake because you keep calling me out despite not having watched it yourself.

wind your neck in.

He definitely touched the ball more than 3 times. Same with Gardner. 

They were though absolutely **** dreadful. That was a serious GTFO now moment for Westwood while Gardner earns a reprieve simply based on it being only his 15th or so appearance.

Has to be Jedinak and Tish. I wouldn't be shocked if we never saw Westwood in a Villa shirt again. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He definitely touched the ball more than 3 times. Same with Gardner. 

They were though absolutely **** dreadful. That was a serious GTFO now moment for Westwood while Gardner earns a reprieve simply based on it being only his 15th or so appearance.

Has to be Jedinak and Tish. I wouldn't be shocked if we never saw Westwood in a Villa shirt again. 

Both being hooked at half time is a clear sign that their time may be up. or if not up, severely limited until they earn their way back in (and with Westwood especially you would think there's a good chance that will never happen).

I do feel, however, that playing them both together was a huge mistake. That's not to defend either player, it's their fault that it's like this, but every man and his dog knew that a central midfield partnership of those two was going to be a disaster. Neither of them do enough on their own to make up for the other's flaws.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I do feel, however, that playing them both together was a huge mistake. That's not to defend either player, it's their fault that it's like this, but every man and his dog knew that a central midfield partnership of those two was going to be a disaster. Neither of them do enough on their own to make up for the other's flaws.

Totally. Steve Bruce said so himself, which is pretty damning. Imagine your manager publicly stating that playing you was a mistake, you've hit rock bottom. 

I'm surprised he made the mistake, but I also believe he's entitled to expect more from professional footballers. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm surprised he made the mistake, but I also believe he's entitled to expect more from professional footballers. 

No argument there.

One positive I suppose is hopefully the combination of Westwood/Gardner's abysmal performances, plus Tshibola's promising one, will mean Bruce makes changes in that area of the pitch sooner rather than later.

27 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No argument there.

One positive I suppose is hopefully the combination of Westwood/Gardner's abysmal performances, plus Tshibola's promising one, will mean Bruce makes changes in that area of the pitch sooner rather than later.

The other positive being that he must have surely now seen bunn for what he is and hopefully decided all 3 are not good enough for this club 

Edited by Eastie

Just now, Eastie said:

The other positive being that he must have surely now seen bunn for what he is .

Why?

I think Bunn's been decent the past few games. 

Was he at fault yesterday? (Genuine question. I couldn't see the goal that well)

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

I think Bunn's been decent the past few games. 

Was he at fault yesterday? (Genuine question. I couldn't see the goal that well)

I felt he should have done better for the Leeds goal and the Cardiff goal - he is not the answer and I'd rather gollini than him although I suspect it will be neither in goal at wolves.

regarding midfield hourihane should be got in as one of two new signings in that area .

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

:rolleyes: watch the **** clip yourself.

Why the **** would I watch a game we lost recorded on a grainy phone camera to try and defend a player I utterly despise? 

I'm happy to admit it might be a mistake, I've said this a few times already. I'm just not convinced it 100% is. He's an awful player and Opta have a very strong reputation on football statistics. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, a m ole said:

you're basically saying you don't trust me because I once "defended" him.

Im saying if you don't 100% believe me, watch it. It's obvious who is who and I'm certainly not getting confused as you are implying.

Not saying I don't trust you, I'll say once again that it could well be a mistake. 

I just pointed out that it's those that defend him in the past that were quick to question it and rush to prove its wrong. 

I have no interest in watching it, like I said it's a grainy image filmed from the away end on someone's phone. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Both being hooked at half time is a clear sign that their time may be up. or if not up, severely limited until they earn their way back in (and with Westwood especially you would think there's a good chance that will never happen).

was it a master plan to prove a point?....just joking.:)

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why the **** would I watch a game we lost recorded on a grainy phone camera to try and defend a player I utterly despise? 

I'm happy to admit it might be a mistake, I've said this a few times already. I'm just not convinced it 100% is. He's an awful player and Opta have a very strong reputation on football statistics. 

Opta are wrong, watch the highlights on AVTV. He has about 10 touches in the highlights alone. 

That's hardly defending him for his poor contribution, its simply supporting using accurate information to back up an argument. 

we had the worst midfield in Premier League last season then amazingly with a record Championship spend we have the worst midfield in the Championship. it doesnt make sense, Westwood and Gardner are mid-table League 1 midfielders if I am being generous and Jedinak is a mid table Championship midfielder

Since 2012 we have just played crap midfielder after crap midfielder. Best one of a bad bunch was probably Delph and he was never anything special. Pure shambles

• Like 1

I think that midfield against Cardiff in the first half was the worst midfield performance I've ever seen from us. Bacuna just didn't have a clue where he should play, seemed to have a free role with the instructions of being crap and give the ball away. Gardner and Westwood were completely anonymous.

Must say that I was impressed by Tshibola when he came on, I wouldn't say we then started dominating the midfield, but we at least had a midfield. He looks quite comfortable on the ball and was a physical presence. I also liked that he didn't seem stressed when he had the ball, he managed to keep it and looked for opportunities. Can't believe he doesn't play more. I'd like to experiment with Thsibola and Grealish in the middle. At least we would have players who wants the ball and knows how to play.  

Westwood is the type of player to play 'pretty awful' depending on the standard he's playing at. So in the Prem people might think 'ah okay, he's pretty awful, but he'll prob do okay in the championship'... And so on until you reach the Mr Porky Scratchings Midlands league north.

• Like 3

Â