Our midfield problem

Mic09

10 hours ago, Woodytom said:

While there is an element of sarcasm to your post I don't think it's too far the truth and it relates to something I've been saying since he arrived imo. 

Never once does he stand up and be counted/take the game by the scruff of his neck. I think he has a bit of a 'need to avoid failure' attitude that will be ever present regardless of what league he is in. 

At first people explained his anonymity as the type of midfielder he is, some even used it as a criticism of people's knowledge on football. No, not noticing Westwood is purely and simply down to him being way out of his depth.

He will never impose himself on the game due to his mentality imo, and that is why I believe that any game at any level worth talking about, he would get gobbled up.

The good old days when people were saying it should have been him not Delph in the england squad :D good times

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, astonaidan said:

The good old days when people were saying it should have been him not Delph in the england squad :D good times

scary stuff ,eh?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Their reputation has slipped considerably over the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread.

I'm still not sure whether I should be trusting them or my own eyes watching the game.

The clip was grainy I suppose.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Their reputation has slipped considerably over the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread.

It certainly has. 

The reputation of the Birmingham Mail, which ran an article containing the incorrect statistics without anybody there bothering to check or apply a 'common sense filter', would have gone lower, but there's nowhere to go below absolute zero. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Looks like it was a mistake with whoscored presenting the data, not Opta. It was also corrected less than 48 hours later. 

Don't see a problem with that. 

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It certainly has. 

The reputation of the Birmingham Mail, which ran an article containing the incorrect statistics without anybody there bothering to check or apply a 'common sense filter', would have gone lower, but there's nowhere to go below absolute zero. 

I've had a couple of pops at journalist over the last couple of days so I'm loathe to keep repeating myself, or indeed straying OT, but how do these rocket polishers get away with it? 

It seems you can make up any old nonsense you like, or simply copy and paste someone else's made up article as long as it contains the magic words:

# We understand 

# x are considering 

# x are preparing 

# According to. 

# Our sources tell us

They make my blood boil they really do. God knows what a "real journalist" would make of it all. 

51 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm still not sure whether I should be trusting them or my own eyes watching the game.

The clip was grainy I suppose.

Trust your own eyes.

I just didn't have any interest in trusting the eyes of a stranger who usually defends such an awful player. I'd prefer to trust a professional company that provides statistics. 

Like I said many times, I was happy to accept it could be a mistake and it was. They corrected it and now I get the correct stats, so they continue to have my trust. 

33 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Looks like it was a mistake with whoscored presenting the data, not Opta. It was also corrected less than 48 hours later. 

Don't see a problem with that. 

You don't see a problem with publishing obviously wrong stats and taking 48 hours to correct them?

OK.

Just now, briny_ear said:

You don't see a problem with publishing obviously wrong stats and taking 48 hours to correct them?

OK.

Opta didn't present them, whoscored did. 

They share a ridiculous amount of stats, I've no problem with a mistake being made and corrected. Why would I? 

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

OK.

I don't, personally. They publish millions of individually statistics for thousands of players on an almost daily basis. My mind boggles at how much data they collect. That they made a mistake regarding a shite 2nd division player playing for a mid table team in a shite game nobody cared about, yet corrected it within 48 hours is actually bloody impressive. 

I'm amazed anybody bought it though, TBH. It took me about a minute to realise it must be bollocks and I had a horrific hangover at the time. 

Though I admit I wanted it to be true. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm amazed anybody bought it though, TBH. It took me about a minute to realise it must be bollocks and I had a horrific hangover at the time. 

Though I admit I wanted it to be true

That's really the problem, isn't it? You were at the game, and you realised that the stats had to be wrong. But that's now an established internet 'truth' about the Villa CM's having 9 touches between them in an entire half, and it won't go away for a very long time. Someone not present at the time and wanting it to be true will always want to buy it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

I'm pretty certain this is probably one of very, very few places on the internet still even talking about it.

Of course it is, as this is a Villa forum. And as for now, it's in the past. Until the next time Westwood or Gardner plays for Villa. I believe those '9 combined passes' will be referenced several times in some way in the future, by someone wanting to denigrate the player(s) or the club. If you want to believe it, you probably will. Unless you were there.

39 minutes ago, TB said:

That's really the problem, isn't it? You were at the game, and you realised that the stats had to be wrong. But that's now an established internet 'truth' about the Villa CM's having 9 touches between them in an entire half, and it won't go away for a very long time. Someone not present at the time and wanting it to be true will always want to buy it.

I think you're over thinking it a touch but yes, that is part of the problem. A problem they have created mind by putting in one of the most pathetic displays by a central midfield I've ever seen. And I'm an Aston Villa fan.

I've never had a personal issue with Ashley Westwood. Like all players, I've stuck up for him when he's played well and lambasted him when he's not. However, when your manager is carting the pair of you off at half time, replacing you with a striker and a player who he clearly has no time for and then calling you out in the press, you know you've **** it up. A manager of Steve Bruce's experience doesn't do that lightly.

He's been poor all season bar one or two average displays, but that tipped me over to the dark side. He'll have to go a long way to winning me back and I don't think he has it in him. In fact, I know he doesn't. 

I hope we don't have to see him in the shirt again. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think you're over thinking it a touch but yes, that is part of the problem. A problem they have created mind by putting in one of the most pathetic displays by a central midfield I've ever seen. And I'm an Aston Villa fan.

I've never had a personal issue with Ashley Westwood. Like all players, I've stuck up for them when he's played well and lambasted him when he's not. However, when your manager is carting the pair of you off at half time, replacing you with a striker and a player who he clearly has no time for and then calling you out in the press, you know you've **** it up. A manager of Steve Bruce's experience doesn't do that lightly.

He's been poor all season bar one or two average displays, but that tipped me over to the dark side. He'll have to go a long way to winning me back and I don't think he has it in him. In fact, I know he doesn't. 

I hope we don't have to see him in the shirt again. 

I don't disagree with anything in your post, really. I'm not prepared to stand in their corner in any kind of fight :-) I won't grieve the day those two are replaced with better players.

My point was that some fans are way too eager to accept any kind of dubious stat / rumour as being the absolute gospel truth if it matches with their perception of a player / manager / club / referee / etc.

Unless they had first-hand experience, that is. But even then, a faulty stat that's published online has already become a 'truth' that won't ever go away completely, no matter in how many ways it's disproved at a later stage. It's out there, available for all and sundry wanting to prove a point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Trust your own eyes.

I just didn't have any interest in trusting the eyes of a stranger who usually defends such an awful player. I'd prefer to trust a professional company that provides statistics. 

Like I said many times, I was happy to accept it could be a mistake and it was. They corrected it and now I get the correct stats, so they continue to have my trust. 

what i've actually done in the past is counter the bullshit spoken about him, as opposed to 'defending' him. Shit like only passes sideways, only passes 5 yards, doesn't move or put any effort in, which ironically was all supported by correct statistics.

3 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Whether the stats are wrong or not, the fact remains that both the starting central midfielders were both pulled off at half-time. That only tends to happen if you're playing extremely poorly and honestly in my 20+ years of watching football I've never seen it happen.

Literally no one said otherwise.

Â