Carles Gil

bose

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I hope that Di Matteo and Clarke recognise how potentially devastating the combination of 'Jack & Gil' could be and attempt to fit them into their plans. For a time last season it looked like those 2 were on the brink of really clicking but as we had no strikers there was hardly ever an end product.

Indeed, I think they could well do some damage in the right circumstances. 

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I think that mooney was very quick. I was talking about the amount of playing time he got, not the number of matches in which he featured. Of those 18, he only lasted the full 90 minutes in 4 games (I'll allow him 5 for one where he was subbed off in the last minute). For all his other matches he was either subbed on or subbed off, depending on where he started.

His contribution to the side can only be described as ineffective and disappointing and he did nothing to live up to the hysteria that led to the "rather Gil than Sherwood" comment that we heard earlier in the season.

I hear he has now said he's not prepared to play in the Championship so that is nearly the end of that I guess.

Ok, fair enough.

After a slightly longer mooney, in the 18 games Gil played under Garde, he was on the pitch for approximately 76% of the time (yeah I went to the trouble of adding it all up and yes that's tragic, but we ain't here to discuss me).

The point is Garde, rightly or wrongly, didn't follow the Sherwood tactic of not using him at all, as per the 2014/15 run-in which seemed to be the suggestion.

For me, in his time here, Gil has looked slightly more effective as a sub. I'm not of the opinion he's the first name on the team sheet, but there are 10+ players in the squad I would want out of here before him.

Just for the silly debate record, I would also still rather have Gil in the squad than have Sherwood as manager.

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Hush your mouth! Don't you know it's not permitted on here to remember the fact that he saved us from what looked like certain relegation and got us to a cup final through defeating Liverpool in one of Villa's best performances for many a season.

(Or maybe Gil did the team talks for those matches? ;))

Absolutely nobody has ever suggested on this site, that I have seen, that that Liverpool game was anything other than a great performance. It doesn't come close to making up for the damage he did otherwise. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Ok, fair enough.

After a slightly longer mooney, in the 18 games Gil played under Garde, he was on the pitch for approximately 76% of the time (yeah I went to the trouble of adding it all up and yes that's tragic, but we ain't here to discuss me).

The point is Garde, rightly or wrongly, didn't follow the Sherwood tactic of not using him at all, as per the 2014/15 run-in which seemed to be the suggestion.

For me, in his time here, Gil has looked slightly more effective as a sub. I'm not of the opinion he's the first name on the team sheet, but there are 10+ players in the squad I would want out of here before him.

Just for the silly debate record, I would also still rather have Gil in the squad than have Sherwood as manager.

So he played a lot under Garde and did nothing. And Sherwood didn't play him when people kicked off about it and we stayed up and reached a cup final.  

36 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So he played a lot under Garde and did nothing. And Sherwood didn't play him when people kicked off about it and we stayed up and reached a cup final.  

Yep. Exactly. 

Sherwood is a genius.

Gil is shit.

QED.

Frank-Underwood-Eye-roll-GIF.gif?gs=a

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I would also still rather have Gil in the squad than have Sherwood as manager.

If Gil's agent is to be believed, he doesn't want to stay at Villa, so sadly Carles doesn't seem to share this enthusiasm.

Edited by briny_ear

41 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If Gil's agent is to be believed, he doesn't want to stay at Villa, so sadly Carles doesn't seem to share this enthusiasm.

In which case all this may have been for nothing.

But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings....

• 1 month later...

He is in training. I saw him in a few photos.

The outgoings of the squad i guess has stopped at the moment while RDM assesses the squad. Probably the sensible thing to do.

However, I expect Gil to leave.. think there will be plenty of interest in La Liga where is probably more suited and has had some success. 

I hope we keep him as i think with a proper team plan and structure + the right players around him..  he can be effective. I think l last saw he was going to go on loan. 

Edited by KSV

The fact i just thought to myself 'bloody hell I'd forgot about him' when i noticed this thread at the top of the page, probably tells you all need to know about my feelings for the lad. 

On 7/7/2016 at 07:31, KSV said:

However, I expect Gil to leave.. think there will be plenty of interest in La Liga where is probably more suited and has had some success. 

When Carles Gil left Elche he was replaced by Victor Rodriguez, who proved himself to be a more effective player tbqh.

Victor Rodriguez has just signed for Sporting Gijon, so if that's the level for someone who in my view at least, is a better player, I'm not sure where the interest amongst Spanish clubs for Carles will come from. None of the few clubs that might be interested in him are going to be offering him anything close to his current salary. Spanish clubs are not short of midfield targets, like everyone else they need reliable strikers.

A year-long loan is the most likely outcome for him.

Edited by gordoncharles

Wasn't there talk of Celta Vigo and Betis interest in him in January?

Beyond the big 3-4 there is very little cash around in La Liga these days so think a lot of clubs there would take a punt on Gil who is still quite young.

I think Gil could do well if he gets in a more organised midfield 5 - which is what I'm assuming RdM will bring.

If not as a starter then as an impact player - a lot of teams will sit deep at Villa Park this season would be my guess

20 minutes ago, AndyGray1985 said:

I think Gil could do well if he gets in a more organised midfield 5 - which is what I'm assuming RdM will bring.

If not as a starter then as an impact player - a lot of teams will sit deep at Villa Park this season would be my guess

Lets hope we are not one of them

• Like 3

Â