People on Mars

CrackpotForeigner

I think it should be done as soon as possible. 

Yes, there are massive risks, people will die (they know the risks beforehand), but it will open up a new chapter in human exploration.

Only way to know if it succeeds or not is to go for it!

As long as none of us has to volunteer.

It would be done through volunteers. probably a million or so people would volunteer, but say 100 suitable people would be chosen for the first mission.

It would be a one-way ticket only, a permanent move.  

As things developed on mars, each year another shipload of volunteers would go there - in 10 years you'd have 1000 people living there, less say 20% death-rate.

It would be done through volunteers. probably a million or so people would volunteer, but say 100 suitable people would be chosen for the first mission.

It would be a one-way ticket only, a permanent move.  

As things developed on mars, each year another shipload of volunteers would go there - in 10 years you'd have 1000 people living there, less say 20% death-rate.

Very tricky to choose the volunteers. It's a bye-bye to Earth forever. Nobody in history has faced this prospect, and imo it's orders of magnitude more of a big deal psychologically than, say, the Mayflower voyage.

They would have to have incredible stoicism, bravery, cast iron brain chemistry, be 100% impossible to annoy and 100% un-annoying, cool under pressure, and intelligent. Almost anyone who matches this description would almost certainly have carved out a pretty decent life for themselves on Earth. 

I don't know where you even begin to find someone who ticks all those boxes, and those would only be SOME of the important boxes. A group of people who want to leave the planet is hardly the best starting point for recruitment of stable, sane space travellers.  But I s'pose if there are grown men who can, and do, contort themselves through an unthreaded tennis racket the lesson is that the world does contain all kinds of freaks.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

Some interesting articles here about the current applicants:

www.theguardian.com/science/2013/sep/10/mars-one-mission-space-travel-applicants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-29130853

Some interesting thoughts in that last one - my favourite line being:

When Van Meter's father, Ike, heard that she was one of those selected from the 200,000, he asked her how she could choose to do such a thing.

"Imagine the grave site of the first person to die on another planet," she replied. There was a pause. Ike said: "Gosh, I see your point."

• Like 1

Where do I sign up?

Sorry CED, seems to me like the Mars trip is already booked up..

Oh, hang on, there is a place on another ship.

We're sending you to Pluto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z26BZVBFPMs&feature=youtu.be&t=14s

Edited by adz.villa

not strictly relevant, but shows we are still some way from this being straightforward

_78676204_virgin.jpg

Virgin Space Crash

Virgin SpaceShipTwo crashes after 'in-flight anomaly'

6 minutes ago

Virgin Galactic says that its SpaceShipTwo space tourism craft has suffered an "in-flight anomaly".

The craft was being tested in the Mojave Desert region of California. Virgin Galactic said it would issue a fuller statement shortly.

Local police said they were responding to reports of a crash in Cantil.

SpaceShipTwo is carried by a special jet and released, before igniting its rocket to go into sub-orbit and return as a glider.

There was a documentary on BBC4 last night called The Horizon Guide to Mars. Don't know if it inspired this thread but it should be available online. They have problems growing seeds in space, apparently they're only good for a few generations.

Thread "inspired" (thanks for choosing that word :)) by the article on the BBC news front page. Will look for the HGtoM. I guess the seeds have problems because of DNA damage due to radiation (?).

They didn't say what was causing it so I guess it was either some sort of radiation or aliens.

• 3 months later...

Mars One mission: five Britons going into training for one-way trip to Red Planet

Five Britons have got onto a shortlist for a trip to Mars — from which they will probably never return.

They are part of a 100 person shortlist for the Mars One mission — a private trip by volunteers to Mars, which will be funded by a reality TV show — which has been whittled down from a list of 202,586 original applicants. The next round will see the contestants go through a training programme, with 40 people being chosen to eventually head to Mars.

Is this a hoax or is there any way it could possibly be funded? (I'm thinking Truman Show levels of advertising.) It's weird because the volunteers appear to be genuine.

Â