People on Mars

CrackpotForeigner

its a load of bollocks, the technology simply doesnt exist to accomplish that kind of mission, they couldnt put 40 people and that equipment on the moon let alone mars

they'll film the training stick it on tv then come up with some bullshit as to why they cant complete it

"Space Cadets" fronted by Johnny Vaughan on Channel 4 springs to mind.  One big hoax. 

I just wiki'd this as I'd never heard of it. Sounds cruel tricking them but I'd guess the participants were a little gullible.

its a load of bollocks, the technology simply doesnt exist to accomplish that kind of mission, they couldnt put 40 people and that equipment on the moon let alone mars

they'll film the training stick it on tv then come up with some bullshit as to why they cant complete it

The technology that put us on the moon was no more technologically advanced than a washing machine. We are more capable now but also more aware of modern technologies limits or are not willing to push them as far. 

Sending 5 people let alone 40 is suicide and should be considered mass murder if sent voluntary or not.

Would like to see it though (not the death part)

"Space Cadets" fronted by Johnny Vaughan on Channel 4 springs to mind. One big hoax.

I just wiki'd this as I'd never heard of it. Sounds cruel tricking them but I'd guess the participants were a little gullible.

Gullible in the way that those who go on the apprenticeship think they'll get a job with Alan sugar or gullible in the way that those who go on the apprenticeship think they'll lose but be the next Katie Hopkins?

I bet half of them wish that it does turn in to your normal run of the mill reality tv nonsense and they all get a place on next years I'm a celebrity

The sad thing is it's uni students and science people from the 5 Britons, the brummie girl doing a PhD, the cynic in me thinks they've got no real interest in the mars suicide mission, but if she gets in the final few, she'll be set for life doing the rounds on other shit reality shows celebrity specials

MIT published a paper on this and taking into account current technologies and various other factors the crew would be expected to die out after around 60-something days. Part of me thinks good effort to even reach that milestone, but we are talking about human lives.

Space 'travel' did seem to hit a glass ceiling with the Moon, not necessarily with computer technology but from what I understand propulsion systems are more of the issue - I stand to be corrected but apparently these systems have barely advanced since the Moon landings.

I haven't read into this Mars One caper enough to understand all the angles, but if they really are intending on turning it into some form of 'reality' TV show it really will end up as the world's most expensive snuff film.

I don't know. If the technology isn't there now to do it, how the hell did they do it to the moon in 1969? when technology was pretty much non-existent....

I think it is due to the fact investment in space exploration pretty much stopped

nasa-budget-graph-580x435.jpg

Just imagine if they kept that 4% going, no doubt we would be a lot closer now.....

and my theory (not my theory but I thought of it before looking into it) that if the US defence budget was placed with NASA instead, we'd already be on Mars

It makes me sad because playing games like Mass Effect means I am never going to see such exploration. Would love to live at that time when we leave our own solar system. 

I think it will take a near world ending event before any kind of investment happens globally. Meteor or Yellowstone blowing up, something like that. 

Then we will realise pretty quickly fighting ourselves isn't the problem, living on other planets is what's needed. 

Hopefully the USA and China can have nice strong economies and lots of employment and become friends, that way if most people have a JERB and defence budget falls drastically, would mean that money (given the right people at the top) might find it's way at least a little into Space projects. 

Could it be more of a commercial requirement, could Virgin Galactic be the start of there being a consumer need to want to go into space? I mean with there being thousands of billionaires and many more millionaires, there's WILL be an appetite for it, if safety can be proven to match that of airlines today. 

Combine public funding with commercial ones, the budget could get there. 

• Like 1

and my theory (not my theory but I thought of it before looking into it) that if the US defence budget was placed with NASA instead, we'd already be on Mars

The top comment on that link, if accurate, is depressing.

Yeah... cities on the moon! :huh: Instead, all we've got to show for it is a few pointless wars.

The thing with putting people on Mars for me is essentially whats the point?

We can send unmanned missions to gather data and test substances that may be useful to us so why send humans? I get the fact that each step to the next planet is a "giant leap for man kind" but until we can leave our own solar system we know nothing. If the ultimate goal is to find intelligent life like us its going to be in a galaxy thousands or millions of light-years away, not on the other rocks on our doorstep.

God knows where we will be as a species in 1000 years time but i find it very hard to believe that humans will ever be able to make these distances, even if we could travel at relativistic speeds (say 99% of the speed of light) you would struggle to get much further than the closest stars in a human lifetime and that's ignoring the practicalities for building a ship that could actually achieve this journey. 

We may be able to send out signals to communicate with these distant planets but while we are stuck on earth experiencing non relativistic speeds through space we won't live long enough to ever receive anything back.

Kudos to someone who can get around those obstacles but i suppose the best we can do is one step at a time but its a bloody long ladder we have to climb.

We can send unmanned missions to gather data and test substances that may be useful to us so why send humans? I get the fact that each step to the next planet is a "giant leap for man kind" but until we can leave our own solar system we know nothing. If the ultimate goal is to find intelligent life like us its going to be in a galaxy thousands or millions of light-years away, not on the other rocks on our doorstep.

God knows where we will be as a species in 1000 years time but i find it very hard to believe that humans will ever be able to make these distances, even if we could travel at relativistic speeds (say 99% of the speed of light) you would struggle to get much further than the closest stars in a human lifetime and that's ignoring the practicalities for building a ship that could actually achieve this journey. 

We may be able to send out signals to communicate with these distant planets but while we are stuck on earth experiencing non relativistic speeds through space we won't live long enough to ever receive anything back.

Kudos to someone who can get around those obstacles but i suppose the best we can do is one step at a time but its a bloody long ladder we have to climb.

Cryo freezing technology continues to develop.

Sleep for X amount of years, get to destination, thaw you out, you're good to go. :)

Something I read was saying, long term, the plan was to get to the asteroid belt for raw materials. Massive ships/structures are then built which people would spend their whole lives on eradicating the psychological barrier currently faced.

I think the money is defeinitely the factor since the 60s. 

Interest and investment died off after we landed on the moon. 

If they could get to the moon in 69 they can certainly hit mars now given the 10 year budget of 4% of US Budget. 

"Space Cadets" fronted by Johnny Vaughan on Channel 4 springs to mind.  One big hoax. 

I know one of the participants. She was so excited about it  :(

I know one of the participants. She was so excited about it  :(

Bet the cash prize softened the blow a little bit though?

• 6 months later...
Â