Paul Lambert

limpid

So its not our worst PL season ever.

38 points, which is the same as McLeish but with a worse goal difference, so it's worse. And more games lost than any other premiership season.

Quite clearly our worst premiership season.

It isn't though as I've just shown you we've previously finished lower. Repeat it as many times as you wish, it still won't be accurate.

Statistics make it accurate not me repeating it.

They don't either.

Where's Con when you need him. :D

38 points, which is the same as McLeish but with a worse goal difference, so it's worse. And more games lost than any other premiership season.

It isn't though as I've just shown you we've previously finished lower. Repeat it as many times as you wish, it still won't be accurate.

They don't either.

Was there a season we got less points?

Was it the lowest we've ever got? No.

I've already answered this, no but there was a season when we got the same number and several where we finished lower. But according to you, finishing lower in the table doesn't constitute a worse season, so in your logic having the joint lowest point total but worse goal difference equals worst season ever. Which, in my view is nonesense.

If Lambert had finished 16th this season you would be saying we'd gone backwards. 

Based on your 'logic' we could have got more points this season than last, gone down and it would be progress. Its nonsense and its just an attempt to try and force the facts to fit your opinion.

We've finished lower than last season on at least 3 occasions, that we did so with more points is irrelevant. 

This! X exactly 1,000,532,402,916,093,336,803,593,201.001348934808508523423472057204 recurring.

Bloody Hell! Was anyone happy with last seasons points tally or league position? I should think not unless they are a knuckle dragger?

Did the team perform to the best of their abilities over the season? No!

Did the manager cover himself in glory with the way he performed his job over the season? No!

Is it the first time we have been in this situation? No!

Does it matter whether it's the best or worst season? No, we start 2nd alphabetically next season same as always!

Does the owner, manager, coaches and playing staff need addressing urgently? Yes!

Will anything be addressed urgently? We'll have to wait and see!

Was McLeish a good manager for us? No!

Is Lambert? IMO no!

Thank you Delboy. 

Any attempt to put a gloss on last season's performance on the grounds that it was marginally less shitty that some REALLY shitty seasons in the past is just outrageous.

it was a miserable, miserable season with little merit and it was the most recent one so obviously it's the one we should be thinking about most and how the hell things can be made even slightly better.

Both of you have completely misunderstood what I was saying.. sigh..

The point I was making, was that you can use stats to paint any picture.

Did I enjoy last season? Nope - but I wasn't involved with Villa much last season, because football is a form of entertainment for me, if I don't enjoy it, I step away, terrible fan huh?

Ah the old points vs positioning debate.

I guess over all it is all about where you finish but I feel personally it's a bit too simplistic to say lower position automatically means worse season, especially as positioning is so dependant on how other teams have performed while points is all down to you.

They don't either.

I've already answered this, no but there was a season when we got the same number and several where we finished lower. But according to you, finishing lower in the table doesn't constitute a worse season, so in your logic having the joint lowest point total but worse goal difference equals worst season ever. Which, in my view is nonesense.

If Lambert had finished 16th this season you would be saying we'd gone backwards.

Based on your 'logic' we could have got more points this season than last, gone down and it would be progress. Its nonsense and its just an attempt to try and force the facts to fit your opinion.

We've finished lower than last season on at least 3 occasions, that we did so with more points is irrelevant.

A lot of your assumptions about my logic is nonsense. I don't think you should just look at one aspect of the table. You seem to focus solely on league position which probably is because it suits your argument on this particular issue.

I think you need to look at league position and points total together. League position is effected by other teams and how they did compared to each other so just taking that doesn't really paint a full picture. Likewise just looking at points total doesn't either, as you say its possible we could be relegated next year with 39 points which would clearly be worse.

So looking at points total and league position together I think shows lambert's season to be worse. You can also include the fact that we lost more games than any other premiership year.

Pulis had a good 6 months with Palace. It happens. He could just as well have a shit second season with them.

Too many judgements are made based on what someone did in their last few months. Just look at Moyes, this site was in meltdown when MysteryMan said we'd land him a few seasons back, one dodgy season later and people are turning their noses up.

It's a similar issue with Lambert. We finished his first season on a good run of form and people on here were claiming we would make top 8 last season, the thread in 'other football' ranking managers consistantly had Lambert as one of the top 5 or 6 managers in the league. Roll forward 12 months, and after a bad finish to a season full of injuries and off field dramas and suddenly Lambert's not fit to manage a junior league team and we are certain for the drop next year.

A little more perspective is required.

There's a good reason why we are turning up our noses at Moyes; he's tactically limited, he obviously hit the glass ceiling with Everton, and we need someone who can instill completely new ethos around the club. Moyes would've been good few years ago, but I think he might've spent a bit too long in Everton.

Points totals don't mean a thing, it's just a way of getting to the thing that matters, your league position.

If a few teams do very well at the top and hoover up all the points then the teams at the bottom will get low totals that year, similarly if there is a very crap team in the league that year then they will gift points to the teams above making the points totals higher. It doesn't say much about how well you did, the important factor is where you finish.

If we had finished lower but with a higher points total you would switch your argument to league position being the most important factor.

They don't either.

A lot of your assumptions about my logic is nonsense. I don't think you should just look at one aspect of the table. You seem to focus solely on league position which probably is because it suits your argument on this particular issue.

I think you need to look at league position and points total together. League position is effected by other teams and how they did compared to each other so just taking that doesn't really paint a full picture. Likewise just looking at points total doesn't either, as you say its possible we could be relegated next year with 39 points which would clearly be worse.

So looking at points total and league position together I think shows lambert's season to be worse. You can also include the fact that we lost more games than any other premiership year.

Interesting you take losses into account but now wins.

I take no issue with people having concerns, I have them too although perhaps different to yours.

I wouldn't for one minute expect anyone who was dead set on wanting Lambert gone this summer to have completely changed their mind because of the current circumstances. 

I would though just like to clear up one thing, last season wasn't our worst ever premier league season. I'm sorry but this just isn't true and it doesn't matter how many times people say it.

We finished 15th, same as the season before. However we've finished 16th in the table on at least 3 occasions in 2011, 2006 and 2003. I would also add back in the days of a larger PL we also finished 18th one place about relegation in a year when 4 sides went down. It isn't even our lowest ever PL points total, we also got 38 points in 2011 I believe. So its not our worst PL season ever.

We didn't improve last season on his first season but then with a budget of circa £10m last summer I don't think it was realistic to hope we would or not greatly anyway.

As for this summer/season I don't think he can be expected to do better, that is kind of the point I'm making. I don't think he will do worse either but I personally would have been fearful if he had walked away because I think who we could have attracted in the circumstances probably would. 

As for the fans being on his back straight away, I honestly don't think that will be the case given the circumstances. I think they will get behind him. But neither of us know how that one will pan out, we shall find out in August I guess.

If we're going to talk about facts, where on earth have you got a spend of £10m from?  I thought we'd long since agreed that we'd spent roughly £20m each year he's been here.  Whether that's enough is a contentious matter, but at least get the figure right. 

If we're going to talk about facts, where on earth have you got a spend of £10m from?  I thought we'd long since agreed that we'd spent roughly £20m each year he's been here.  Whether that's enough is a contentious matter, but at least get the figure right. 

I believe I have, we will have to await the next set of accounts to be know though.

They don't either.

Interesting you take losses into account but now wins.

Why? Did we win a record number of games?

If we had finished lower but with a higher points total you would switch your argument to league position being the most important factor.

Well thanks for telling me what I'd do.

So if Lambert finished next season, two places lower on more points than this season you would see that as progress? Come off it.

You'd take both into account. If you're talking 1 or 2 points higher and 2 places lower then no it would be hard to say that's progress but if there was a clear improvement in points then yes you'd have to say the team progressed.

I believe I have, we will have to await the next set of accounts to be know though.

No we don't I'm afraid, the spend was confirmed in the last set of accounts' PBSE note.  £18.9m on top of the £21.7m from the year before.  Note 27 if you'd care to check.

No we don't I'm afraid, the spend was confirmed in the last set of accounts' PBSE note.  £18.9m on top of the £21.7m from the year before.  Note 27 if you'd care to check.

###Genuine un-loaded question alert###

How can the summer 2013 spend be in the 2013 accounts? Isn't our year end May 31st

The 2012 figures were y/e 31st May

Has this changed?

If we're going to talk about facts, where on earth have you got a spend of £10m from? I thought we'd long since agreed that we'd spent roughly £20m each year he's been here. Whether that's enough is a contentious matter, but at least get the figure right.

No we don't I'm afraid, the spend was confirmed in the last set of accounts' PBSE note. £18.9m on top of the £21.7m from the year before. Note 27 if you'd care to check.

Is that £18.9m a net spend?

Â