Paul Lambert

limpid

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

Didn't realise Holloway, Brown and Coyle took a team from League1 into the prem in consecutive seasons........

I really do not believe he is the man to take us forward

If there is a substantial warchest in the Summer i'm unsure he's the man to spend it wisely

I'm genuinely surprised people don't have more faith in his spending ability.  Benteke, Kozak, Okore and Vlaar represent his most expensive purchases (only 2 over £5m for **** sake!).

Are you not happy with these?

Benteke yes, Kozak no, Okore too early to say, Vlaar sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Not surprised you're unhappy with Lambert if you don't class Vlaar as a decent signing then!

I really do not believe he is the man to take us forward

If there is a substantial warchest in the Summer i'm unsure he's the man to spend it wisely

I'm genuinely surprised people don't have more faith in his spending ability.  Benteke, Kozak, Okore and Vlaar represent his most expensive purchases (only 2 over £5m for **** sake!).

Are you not happy with these?

Benteke yes, Kozak no, Okore too early to say, Vlaar sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Well that sums it up for me, literally cannot please some people.

Benteke - overwhelming yes, a real star in the making and outside of the top clubs we probably have the best striker in Europe

Kozak - scored goals at a decent enough rate given that he's come into a new league, playing in a struggling team 

Okore - looked great in the short amount of playing time he had before getting injured, coveted by bigger clubs than us

Vlaar - generally has been excellent this season and there is a marked difference in our defending when he doesn't play, Dutch international defender who will be going to the World Cup but you carry on with your "sometimes" opinion

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

Didn't realise Holloway, Brown and Coyle took a team from League1 into the prem in consecutive seasons........

Nor did I, which is why I didn't say it. 

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions.

League-wise, he didn't improve Wycombe. He inherited them when they had just finished 6th and he lead them to 12th and 7th in his two seasons there.

Also, it is a completely different Norwich squad now. A large amount of Lambert's squad are either out of favour or have returned to the lower-leagues.

Ruddy, R.Bennett, Martin, Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, E.Bennett, Pilkington and Hoolahan were all signed by Lambert for Norwich. 7 of those players featured in the game against us the other day. I know the squad has changed a fair bit, but the core of the first team from Lambert's reign still remains.

And of those only Ruddy, Martin and Johnson are week-on-week regulars. Ryan Bennett, Howson and Pilkington are more squad players now. Hoolahan before last week wasn't playing at all and Elliot Bennett has made one appearence all season. Snodgrass was signed by Hughton I should add. So the core of the team is very different now I'd say.

Nor did I, which is why I didn't say it. 

No but you're using them as a comparison with which to judge Lambert when their achievements were incomparable.

You would at least have had some credence if you'd compared him with Adkins but then I really don't want to have to fight your battles for you

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions.

League-wise, he didn't improve Wycombe. He inherited them when they had just finished 6th and he lead them to 12th and 7th in his two seasons there.

Also, it is a completely different Norwich squad now. A large amount of Lambert's squad are either out of favour or have returned to the lower-leagues.

Ruddy, R.Bennett, Martin, Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, E.Bennett, Pilkington and Hoolahan were all signed by Lambert for Norwich. 7 of those players featured in the game against us the other day. I know the squad has changed a fair bit, but the core of the first team from Lambert's reign still remains.

And of those only Ruddy, Martin and Johnson are week-on-week regulars. Ryan Bennett, Howson and Pilkington are more squad players now. Hoolahan before last week wasn't playing at all and Elliot Bennett has made one appearence all season. Snodgrass was signed by Hughton I should add. So the core of the team is very different now I'd say.

Sorry, my bad. Lambert out.

Martinez is a class above - really disappointed we couldn't persuade him.

I'm not disagreeing, he has done well at Everton, and the FA cup win was class. Yet.....he could never take wigan above relegation battlers and eventually lost. With everton he took over a squad built over 10yrs hard graft from moyes, and was given the extra bit of dosh to add on top.

I'm still unsure if he would have done well here under the constraints in place.

• Like 2

It's more his bravery and the way he sets his teams out.  Keeping Wigan in the Premier League was a feat in its own right given their financial constraints.

I remember in their battle to survive, Martinez played a 3-4-3 system against all the bigger sides and had a remarkable end of season run.  3-4-3 against Man Utd!  It's just asking to be torn apart but they outplayed them completely.

I'd have Martinez over Moyes any day of the week by the way.

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing, he has done well at Everton, and the FA cup win was class. Yet.....he could never take wigan above relegation battlers and eventually lost. With everton he took over a squad built over 10yrs hard graft from moyes, and was given the extra bit of dosh to add on top.

I'm still unsure if he would have done well here under the constraints in place.

I agree with the rest of your post but he does have a negative net-spend at Everton so far in regards to the highlighted point.

Edited by Isa

Yep, Correct.. Hughton signed Snodgrass a few weeks after Lambert left :)

Edited by Villan4Life

I agree with the rest of your post but he does have a negative net-spend at Everton so far in regards to the highlighted point.

Tbf thats only because moyes was stupid enough to buy fellaini for 25m.  He spent 13m on James mcarthy, thats basically what lambert had to spend all summer.

• Like 1

Tbf thats only because moyes was stupid enough to buy fellaini for 25m.  He spent 13m on James mcarthy, thats basically what lambert had to spend all summer.

Well yes but then they only bought McCarthy because they were losing Fellaini. Also, Lambert spent around £18m in the summer so that's not quite the case.

For me, he's just doing a decent enough job.  It's not been brilliant at all but it's not been bad either.  You've just got to hope we're now done with "rebuilding" a squad (I actually think the loan signings hint at this) and can add proper quality.

He may well be tactically limited to an extent and not all of his signings have worked out (obviously), but I'm encouraged by the fact that he recognises exactly what we need and that he/his scouting team has picked up Benteke, Vlaar and Bacuna in particular whilst also recognising that Guzan was a keeper to... keep.  Okore also looks like he'll be a very good purchase.  There's enough there for me to think he'd do well in buying the right players with the right money and he's a young manager who will be learning all the time.

Has he been fixating on squad building or trying to build a team. You can't have it both ways. Would you say Benteke was a squad signing or Vlaar or Guzan.

He's been trying to build a team with limited success and you just can't excuse that limited success by excusing his bad signings as intentional squad signings.

Â