Paul Lambert

limpid

New chant, then

"He did OK at Norwich

And that's enough for us"

:)

I assume you're being facetious here because the job he did at Norwich was slightly better than OK.

Getting promoted to the championship at the first time of asking and then going straight into the championship which everyone tells you take years to get out of and then going straight up to the prem again the first time of asking and finishing 12th surviving fairly comfortable is nothing short of an outstanding job. I believe thats what he did there anyway?

Its his job here that can be questioned but considering our situation its a complex one.

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

There have been several managers have done well at getting clubs into the Premier League but have then struggled to take that extra step, eg Coyle, Holloway and Phil Brown.  I think Lambert is the latest in that line of managers who are OK at a certain level, but in my opinion he's the wrong man for Villa and watching his atrocious football is soul destroying.

He got Norwich from League One to the Premier League in successive seasons and then finished 12th in his first season in the top flight.

That's more than Coyle, Brown or Holloway have ever achieved - terrible comparison.

Many promoted teams have a great first season. Let's not read too much into it. The difference between Lambert and the likes of Coyle, Burley, Jewell etc. is that he achieved back-to-back promotions. An incredible feat no doubt but I wouldn't interpret it as a sign that he is therefore destined to become a great manager as some seem to.

Edited by Isa

Not many people have said "he's a great manager" or necessarily that he's destined to be one.  He's just obviously got something about him and is still young and developing.

We've played some terrible football, but he's not operated on a budget that any other manager has had really.  He's getting written off by people before he's even had a chance to show what he can do - but hey, that's the way we love to operate at Villa.

Edited by bobzy

He got Norwich from League One to the Premier League in successive seasons and then finished 12th in his first season in the top flight.

That's more than Coyle, Brown or Holloway have ever achieved - terrible comparison.

Phil Brown was the first manager EVER to get Hull City into the top division, and then he kept them up, but that wasn't my point.  The point is that there have been lots of managers who have down well with one club, but have then gone on to struggle elsewhere, as Lambert has done with us since he arrived.

Many promoted teams have a great first season. Let's not read too much into it. The difference between Lambert and the likes of Coyle, Burley, Jewell etc. is that he achieved back-to-back promotions. An incredible feat no doubt but I wouldn't interpret it as a sign that he is therefore destined to become a great manager as some seem to.

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions. 

• Like 1

I guess it depends on what you view as struggling.

He's improved our league position since arriving and has taken us to a cup semi-final in his first season.  Given the limited nature of funding he's had, I wouldn't say he's struggled comparatively.

By all means we can be unhappy with some of the dross that we play, but I'd rather stay up and work on it than just play open, attacking football and get stuffed and relegated.

He's had £40m to spend, and singularly failed to get the best out most of the players he inherited.  He's then bombed those players out, so that they're worth nothing, but we still have to pay their wages.  He's then saddlled us with a load of lower league dross, and given us lots of unwanted "worst ever" records, including the humiliations at Chelsea and losing to lower league teams in the cup regularly.  Add in the fact that his football is absolutely appalling to watch, and  that our wage bill has actually RISEN from last year, and I think he's an appalling manager for Aston Villa.

• Like 1

I'd have liked to have seen him have a second season as manager of Norwich in the prem just to see if he'd been able to keep them mid table.

Think it would've been good for him as a manager but I suspect he knew he'd taken them as far as so bailed out when we came calling.

I'd have liked to have seen him have a second season as manager of Norwich in the prem just to see if he'd been able to keep them mid table.

Think it would've been good for him as a manager but I suspect he knew he'd taken them as far as so bailed out when we came calling.

I disagree about him bailing - in terms of budget and squad he would have been better off staying at Nowich. He had a settled squad that he'd built over 3yrs and would have been given more money to add quality additions on top of that.

We are a bigger club though, and with the facillties we have and the whole sleeping giant thing, it's an oppourtunity to progreess further as a manager.

It took balls to come here, what an absolute shambles of a club to come to and try and turn around. A complete rebuild on an awful budget and a set of angry fans still drunk on the dizzy heights of the MON era.

• Like 4

Did pretty well with Wycombe didn't he as well? League Cup semi-final. I think what he did with Norwich is remarkable, especially when you look at their team now and see that it still is pretty much the team he built bar a few additions.

League-wise, he didn't improve Wycombe. He inherited them when they had just finished 6th and he lead them to 12th and 7th in his two seasons there.

Also, it is a completely different Norwich squad now. A large amount of Lambert's squad are either out of favour or have returned to the lower-leagues.

I guess it depends on what you view as struggling.

He's improved our league position since arriving and has taken us to a cup semi-final in his first season.  Given the limited nature of funding he's had, I wouldn't say he's struggled comparatively.

By all means we can be unhappy with some of the dross that we play, but I'd rather stay up and work on it than just play open, attacking football and get stuffed and relegated.

He's had £40m to spend, and singularly failed to get the best out most of the players he inherited.  He's then bombed those players out, so that they're worth nothing, but we still have to pay their wages.  He's then saddlled us with a load of lower league dross, and given us lots of unwanted "worst ever" records, including the humiliations at Chelsea and losing to lower league teams in the cup regularly.  Add in the fact that his football is absolutely appalling to watch, and  that our wage bill has actually RISEN from last year, and I think he's an appalling manager for Aston Villa.

I do enjoy that Lambert is now at fault for the financial situation at the club.  He must just do everything at Aston Villa!

I think he's done well with most of his signings in fairness (Benteke, Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Westwood in particular, Okore looks good and Kozak is more than adequate backup) but there have been undoubtedly some flops.  But wow, hardly the most expensive flops in the world.  These "bombed out" players you speak of, they now have zero value?  That's interesting.

The records and the Christmas period of humiliation are fine points, of course.  As I said previously, no-one has said he's done a brilliant job at Villa - it's just not been awful either.  You can certainly attribute blame to him for the cup exits to lower league opposition too (although I actually question the players more for not overcoming Bradford **** City over two legs).  Perhaps there's a motivational issue there?

I'd like to see him given another season.  Hopefully a season where he has £20/30m to spend on actual quality rather than squad filler which, let's face it, is pretty much all we've seen so far.  My main concern is that I don't think anyone else could come into this job and perform significantly better.  I think they could do slightly better, I think they could do slightly worse, I think they could do about the same - but for all the upheaval and uncertainty with players that would be undertaken, I just don't think it's worth getting rid of him yet and I don't think there's an outstanding candidate out there for the job in hand.

It's also a shame that some of the fan base just want to constantly bash him rather than get behind him.

• Like 4

I really do not believe he is the man to take us forward

If there is a substantial warchest in the Summer i'm unsure he's the man to spend it wisely

I'm genuinely surprised people don't have more faith in his spending ability.  Benteke, Kozak, Okore and Vlaar represent his most expensive purchases (only 2 over £5m for **** sake!).

Are you not happy with these?

• Like 3

League-wise, he didn't improve Wycombe. He inherited them when they had just finished 6th and he lead them to 12th and 7th in his two seasons there.

Also, it is a completely different Norwich squad now. A large amount of Lambert's squad are either out of favour or have returned to the lower-leagues.

Ruddy, R.Bennett, Martin, Johnson, Howson, Snodgrass, E.Bennett, Pilkington and Hoolahan were all signed by Lambert for Norwich. 7 of those players featured in the game against us the other day. I know the squad has changed a fair bit, but the core of the first team from Lambert's reign still remains.

• Like 1

I really do not believe he is the man to take us forward

If there is a substantial warchest in the Summer i'm unsure he's the man to spend it wisely

I'm genuinely surprised people don't have more faith in his spending ability.  Benteke, Kozak, Okore and Vlaar represent his most expensive purchases (only 2 over £5m for **** sake!).

Are you not happy with these?

Benteke yes, Kozak no, Okore too early to say, Vlaar sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Ideally it will do us the world of good having a manager in place for 5-10 years. I think a lot of people like the novelty of stability but they are not willing to accept the difficult periods along the way, sadly. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 4

Â