Paul Lambert

limpid

Have you learnt nothing over the last 2 and a half years or are you one of these fans that thinks everything is rosy just because we win a game?

Well, I am much happier when we win, like all Villa supporters? I am certainly not one of these fans that publicly hopes we lose, or perform badly, to justify a bitter agenda - and that is without mentioning hoping my fellow supporters become angry.

Vindictiveness has no place when following a football club, certainly when you choose to follow on your own accord. If you are failing to enjoy the product fair enough, but it is not so great when some are actively wishing people become "angry" towards an individual. 

As for things being rosy after a win? Nope. Also, I do not imagine everything becoming perfect if Lambert is sacked. Dichotomous thinking is not good but we are all liable to it unfortunately. 

I hope the fans get angry because I have seen time and time again that a couple of ok results is swiftly followed by a lengthy period of absolute garbage and that the bigger picture is more than 'we won a game so let's all believe our manager is wonderful and we are going to go storming up the table'.

Okay...

Do you really think that a win against Liverpool will be the turning point?

Who knows? For me, the closest thing to a "turning point" will be a change in ownership or Lerner becoming more proactive. I do not believe sacking Lambert will do much to improve us - but who knows?

Tell you what then, let's all just follow Villa on a game by game basis and not see beyond the next fixture and not worry about the state of the club/team.

We will only get upset when we lose and it doesn't matter what crap we have to suffer most weeks as long as occasionally we pull off a surprise to keep us temporarily happy.

If losing to Liverpool is what it takes to get Lambert out then I will take the short term pain for the long term gain and let's be honest it is hardly beyond the realms of possibility that we will lose the next 3 league games based on the dross served up over recent weeks.

Tell you what then, let's all just follow Villa on a game by game basis and not see beyond the next fixture and not worry about the state of the club/team.

We will only get upset when we lose and it doesn't matter what crap we have to suffer most weeks as long as occasionally we pull off a surprise to keep us temporarily happy.

If losing to Liverpool is what it takes to get Lambert out then I will take the short term pain for the long term gain and let's be honest it is hardly beyond the realms of possibility that we will lose the next 3 league games based on the dross served up over recent weeks.

Or based on the fact that they're all, without question, better teams than us.  Given the past 4 games, there's nothing that makes me think we'll get anything out of the coming 3.

I don't get manager's stubborness to not leave a club. I mean, the possible scenario now is that we get relegated, he gets sacked and end up with a bad repuptation and is less attratcive to other possible jobs. Whereas if he leaves now, at least he doesn't have relegation in his records.

Edited by villalad21

I don't get manager's stubborness to not leave a club. I mean, the possible scenario now is that we get relegated, he gets sacked and end up with a bad repuptation and is less attratcive to other possible jobs. Whereas if he leaves now, at least he doesn't have relegation in his records.

As a starter, he gets way more money when sacked.

Or based on the fact that they're all, without question, better teams than us.  Given the past 4 games, there's nothing that makes me think we'll get anything out of the coming 3.

Of course they are better teams than us and so were QPR when they were bottom of the league and bottom of the league Leicester were a better team than us too.

• Like 2

I am not expecting us to do an awful lot given the lack of serious financial support for Lambert and the general sense of drift around the club which now seems unavoidable under the Lerner regime. Actually, if you look at the pre-season expectations thread people would have been happy with 17th whilst we wait for the club to sell. What happened was we got off to a good start and people readjusted what they wanted from the season.

I think the few that said that said it because after last season it looked awful for this one. And again that's down to Lambert's poor performance that some were happy to survive under him. Like I said if after 3 years that all you expect off him, why support him? To have no expectations of him at all makes it strange that this is a man you get behind.

Lambert doesn't help himself sometimes. He has said on several occasions that this is the strongest squad he has had, and actually I agree with him. Obviously the question that then gets asked is why we're not lots better than before. In truth I don't think Lambert is getting the best out of his players this season (with a few notable exceptions) and he obviously hasn't yet decided the best way for us to play, which is poor given the timeframe, but I can't fail to give him credit for his work in the transfer market, which continues to be both inventive and pragmatic in the face of clear obstacles. This has effectively kept us afloat when many managers would have taken us down, and leaves us with a positive ongoing legacy which contrasts markedly to the poison we were left by O'Neill, Houllier and McLeish.

Agree with the first part the rest is the usual rubbish about no one doing better or somehow making out keeping us up has been a good job well done.

My hopes for the second half of the season are that Lambert is able to bring in the players this month that he wants (Gil looks promising) and that somehow it all clicks for us going forward in the way that it did, suddenly, during his first term.

So after 2 and a half years you behind a man who you're relying on it just clicking. Doesn't that show how poor he's been when we hope it clicks rather than seeing something to suggest things will improve?

Realistically I think we need to look at revamping the coaching set up in the summer, but perhaps a good appointment as assistant manager will make a difference for now, as well as a couple of key signings. If Moyes were still available I might fancy a swap, but given the lack of real support from the chairman I'm not sure I fancy anyone else to come in and do a better job. They just might, but it would be a massive gamble with the future of the club. As it is we're 13th and we'll probably stay up, and anywhere from 11th-14th would represent some progress. I really think the people saying things like 'how could anyone possibly do worse' might end up regretting what they wished for.

I think its a serious gamble keeping him and the first thing to do is get rid in the summer. 3 years and going backwards and you think more time and his 3rd assistant manager and coach will make a difference? Seems to be blind hope.

It's not great, but I don't expect major steps forward under Lerner. Lambert clearly needs to improve in certain areas, but overall he's doing enough for me, just about.

Amazed any villa fan could say the last part. Look at how far we're dropping and the record lows we continue to break. I guess the popularity of your post show there's a few still on here who don't mind the low level we've dropped to. Thankfully the fans attending games are starting to show a different attitude.

• Like 1

I guess the popularity of your post show there's a few still on here who don't mind the low level we've dropped to.

You think we would be better with a new manager, others have a different opinion but get over yourself, no-one is happy bumping along in the bottom reaches of the table. 

• Like 2

Suck it up folks and sing a long - all together now.... 

He ain't, 

Goin Nowhere. 

He aint, 

Goin Nowhere. 

He can't be stopped now, coz its Lambert for life

• Like 1

Things aren't really so bad ...

4163r.jpg

Add to that, 3 points off the relegation zone with 3 difficult games coming up - posters have said ` we are not going down no need to get worried' - I think it is very possible for us to sink into the bottom 3 quite soon, and there seems to be an air of complacency among fans that we cannot go down, but I am not convinced that we can pull away this time unless something changes dramatically.

• Like 1

Of course they are better teams than us and so were QPR when they were bottom of the league and bottom of the league Leicester were a better team than us too.

I didn't realise we were talking about historical games when we were discussing the upcoming ones.  Apologies!

I didn't realise we were talking about historical games when we were discussing the upcoming ones.  Apologies!

You also referred to historical games in your original reply to me. I have highlighted the comment for you in bold type for ease of reference.

Suprised no-one has picked up on Lamberts comments in the Mail today :  " Expectations outweigh realism at the club"

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-reaction-paul-lambert-8430601

So sorry for expecting more than 11 goals from the last 21 games, and 12 points from the last 51.

I think you may find that a few of us picked up on the comments.

The lack of reference to them on here is probably down to the fact that most people can't be arsed with taking notice of any crap that pours from Lambert's mouth.

You also referred to historical games in your original reply to me. I have highlighted the comment for you in bold type for ease of reference.

I don't know why I bother because I know you just have a personal vendetta and will argue against me whenever possible...

...but I was agreeing with your initial point.  Nothing in the most recent 4 games gives me any hope we'll get anything out of the next 3 - especially given that they are better teams than us.  Nothing to do with "QPR were better!" "bottom of the table Leicester were better!" or whatever point you're trying to make (which I don't understand at all to be honest?).  Conceivably, we could get something out of them.  The way we're playing?  Not a chance.

I don't know why I bother because I know you just have a personal vendetta and will argue against me whenever possible...

...but I was agreeing with your initial point.  Nothing in the most recent 4 games gives me any hope we'll get anything out of the next 3 - especially given that they are better teams than us.  Nothing to do with "QPR were better!" "bottom of the table Leicester were better!" or whatever point you're trying to make (which I don't understand at all to be honest?).  Conceivably, we could get something out of them.  The way we're playing?  Not a chance.

I don't have a personal vendetta with you. Of course I will argue with you (I prefer to call it debate) when I have a contrary viewpoint.

Be like sexbelowsound, we are now buddies.

Â