Paul Lambert

limpid

Lol

“We’ve decided to give them a break. They deserve it for all the work they’ve put in. We’ll go and work hard. Where are we going? Somewhere abroad".

Morale boost

West Brom have only won 4 in 26 games

they have quite a nice run in though. lots of easy games. I think they'll be above Norwich and Sunderland.

They do have the second worse record against the other 10 teams in danger. they do better against the bigger clubs. Even we beat them at home

hmm... experienced Premier League journeymen who are not "up for it" against the unfashionable teams but work that little bit harder when they have the chance to prove themselves against the top sides?

I still think they have enough quality and fight to win enough games. can't accuse Mulumbu and Yacob not being battlers. well you can try, I won't :)

can't understand why Long was sold after his performance against us. a lot is being asked of Anichebe and Berahino but I think it could prove a good partnership.

West Brom not going down. Cardiff, Fulham and one other. if we can keep up with Norwich until the last 4 games we have a good chance of surviving.

Lol

“We’ve decided to give them a break. They deserve it for all the work they’ve put in. We’ll go and work hard. Where are we going? Somewhere abroad".

Morale boost

West Brom have only won 4 in 26 games

they have quite a nice run in though. lots of easy games. I think they'll be above Norwich and Sunderland.

They do have the second worse record against the other 10 teams in danger. they do better against the bigger clubs. Even we beat them at home

hmm... experienced Premier League journeymen who are not "up for it" against the unfashionable teams but work that little bit harder when they have the chance to prove themselves against the top sides?

I still think they have enough quality and fight to win enough games. can't accuse Mulumbu and Yacob not being battlers. well you can try, I won't :)

can't understand why Long was sold after his performance against us. a lot is being asked of Anichebe and Berahino but I think it could prove a good partnership.

West Brom not going down. Cardiff, Fulham and one other. if we can keep up with Norwich until the last 4 games we have a good chance of surviving.

I don't think it's about them getting up for big games, more about the fact that they play a counter style and like villa it's more effective against top sides.

Do we always have to be grateful for small mercies....I would take 10th or 12th right now, but that does not take in to account how many points we will finish on.

equally, performances are important as a barometer to indicate the progress of the quality of the team, if you don't improve your quality of play you will always be flirting around the bottom of the league and as Coventry and Wigan illustrated, eventually that trap door will get you.

It always tickles me how this obsession with league placing and points tally seems to be the "be all and end all"  when Performances are a massive indicator of a teams future, but get overlooked, perhaps its because it can't easily be measured, it is something you glean from watching, providing you know what your looking for.

just a hypothetical example

year 1.... we win 10 home games 1-0

year 2 ....we win 10 home games 3-0

some would say same points tally no improvement....I would say same points tally, massive improvement. It is highly likely that the reason for the improvement in goals per game is that the quality of play has been raised and that raised quality of play will find its way in to away games and cup games....improving your strength as a team.

I don't particularly buy this points and League position as a tool to fully explain credibly an argument for granting improvement.

I thought the football played during our 6-6-6 was low grade at times and was sufficient to relieve me of my season ticket.....when valuing your teams progress in terms of quality of play, League position and Points have only a part to play, analysis through observation and the result of a game ,is as important.

• Like 1

Lol

Don't you know its hard work getting spanked week in week out! 

Give the man credit where its due, what ever he did/said at half time swung the game completely around!

I like this about Lambert!

Clearly if football was only a 45 minute game he'd be giving Mourinho a run for his money

Personally, I don't really know whether it's better for Lambert to stay or go.

Long term, yes it makes sense for us to have stability at the club (my god, we need some). However. His transfer dealings aren't great (to put it lightly). We know some of this comes from Randy's remit due to the cost cutting, but it's Lamberts job to unearth little gems. He tried, and bar Benteke, possibly Okore, and Westwood, it's failed miserably. Vlaar is great, but is so injury prone it's unreal. This should've been picked up at the stage of under going a medical.

We can say 'yes he hasn't spent much so that's why the players aren't great', but WBA paid £300k for Mulumbu. West Ham got Diame on a free. We got Sylla and KEA. Someone scouted those players. Those clubs took a gamble, and it worked. Our gambles haven't paid off.

We've bought a stack of fullbacks who are all terrible, resulting in us having to loan one this winter. We've bought strikers who will never step foot on the pitch as a first team option which has resulted in us not being able to afford a midfield. We spent the entirety of January chasing Wes Hoolihan rather than moving onto other targets or letting Dale Stephens out of JulieBs basement. Do I need to continue?

The main problem though, is the football we play. It's awful. Jose called West Ham 19th century? He obviously hadn't seen us play. We're very proud of 1874, and playing football that wouldn't look out of place even then.

4-4-2 is an outdated system. Lambert learned his trade in Germany under Otmar Hitzfield, so he should know this. He's supposed to be a progressive, forward thinking manager. He looks anything but.

I don't know what the best decision is, but for the club to say they're opening contract negotiations when our Premiership survival isn't guaranteed is almost as ridiculous as Newcastle giving Alan Pardew and his entire back room staff 8 year contracts.

Yes Lamberts task was massive, but deep down, I'm still not 100% convinced he's doing a good enough job.

Good Post....Much where I am.

The job of a football manager is just to try to win each match he plays, motivating and utilising the abilities of his squad to maximum effect.

All this guff about "job not finished" is just an excuse for the fact that Lambert isn't doing his job very well in the here and now.

• Like 2

The job of a football manager is just to try to win each match he plays, motivating and utilising the abilities of his squad to maximum effect.

I agree, it also applies to every manager in this league. Unfortunately Aston Villa do not have the divine right to win every match in a highly competitively league. 

All this guff about "job not finished" is just an excuse for the fact that Lambert isn't doing his job very well in the here and now.

It is not at excuse at all, it is a harsh reality. Where do you expect us to be in the league? I can understand people being upset about our decline over the last four years but there needs to be some more patience shown by the fans and backing by the board.

Lambert has improved us since taking over and can take us even further.

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

I'm inclined to agree with this - though I do have my doubts.

That said, would you offer him a new contract now instead of at the "end of the job"? Madness.

You are not convinced Lambert is doing a good job because the job is not finished yet. It will be better to judge him (properly) at the end of next season.

I'm inclined to agree with this - though I do have my doubts.

That said, would you offer him a new contract now instead of at the "end of the job"? Madness.

I have doubts and fears about Lambert, it is natural, but I think you need to be detached and evaluate everything.  I would offer him a new contract extension at the end of the season.

Very short sighted view there - it's a lot more complicated than that and teams that plan for the long haul tend to do a lot better than teams that don't.

• Like 2

Â