Paul Lambert

limpid

He'/s certainly had some luck with results recently. Man C equalise against Hull in stoppage time; Southampton get the winner at Loftus road in stoppage time; Burnley let a 2 goal lead slip, and Bob's your uncle - Lambert has skipped back out of the relegation zone.

• Like 1

Lack of goals, OK? That is the only problem. That is the entire problem. There are no other issues this year. Dress it up, spin it, sniff if, tie it in a bow, smack it with a hammer -- but no matter, it always comes back the same -- lack of goals. And did I mention, lack of goals? Would love to see how, under the current owner, the Post-Lambert Savior changes this.

Not gonna happen.

The most important stat is that we stuck with Lambert the last two seasons and he kept us up. Lerner will also have in mind that sticking with Mcleish and Houllier during the season paid off as well, in terms of avoiding relegation.

He didn't keep us up. Its teams below us that saved our season, will be the same this time, not Lambert's genius.

That's like saying to the Champions (whoever they may be at any given time) that they're only Champions because the teams below them weren't good enough.

Yes, but that is correct, the teams below them weren't good enough.

The main point is the reason we haven't been relegated under Lambert is because he's managed to make us a better team than three other teams in the division.

When Usain Bolt wins a gold medal people don't say the other runners saved his Gold because they weren't good enough to run under 9 seconds (or what ever it is). Both Bolt and Lambert finish ahead of the pack because they're the leaders of the pack. (In Lambert's case I'm referring to the bottom three of course)

Martinez kept doing that with Wigan until they eventually came up against better teams!

Well maybe in the end Martinez wasn't good enough, although it's hard to blame him give the resources available at a club like Wigan Athletic. And it's a similar thing for a club like Aston VIlla as things stand at the moment, it's going to be struggle to keep us in the division whoever is in charge.

The difference was Wigan were punching way way above their weight for years and the ultimate aim each season was to stay up. Now if Lambert has to work under a similar budget as Wigan yet with much higher expectations than he must eventually accept its an impossible task. Maybe no manager is capable of handling this role with the constraints but whoever tries will have to handle the backlash if they are not doing a good job.

Lack of goals, OK? That is the only problem. That is the entire problem. There are no other issues this year. Dress it up, spin it, sniff if, tie it in a bow, smack it with a hammer -- but no matter, it always comes back the same -- lack of goals. And did I mention, lack of goals? Would love to see how, under the current owner, the Post-Lambert Savior changes this.

Not gonna happen.

If this was the entire problem we wouldn't have the worst goal difference in the league. Yes scoring goals has been a massive problem but not the only problem. We have conceded our fair share of poor goals as well.

Not gonna happen.

If this was the entire problem we wouldn't have the worst goal difference in the league. Yes scoring goals has been a massive problem but not the only problem. We have conceded our fair share of poor goals as well.

It really is the problem - we're only 10th in terms of goals conceded and that's after conceding 7 in the last 2 games.

Not gonna happen.

but until the arsenal game we had the 5th strongest defence, so for half a season we were really good.

The stats are truly horrific. Definitely etched his name into the worst ever villa managers list.

I think this just goes to show how stats can be misleading. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely been one of our poorer managers, but there's no way he's worse than people who have actually taken us down (at the moment).

Tbf stats focusing on wins and losses are pretty much the best kind of stat.

He'/s certainly had some luck with results recently. Man C equalise against Hull in stoppage time; Southampton get the winner at Loftus road in stoppage time; Burnley let a 2 goal lead slip, and Bob's your uncle - Lambert has skipped back out of the relegation zone.

Yeah. He's incredibly lucky that the better teams in those fixtures got results.

• Like 3

Yeah. He's incredibly lucky that the better teams in those fixtures got results.
Would love to see the reviews on here if Villa had been involved in any of those results: "Ah well, fair enough, the better team got the result." :)

Anyway, I don't know if you saw any of the Man C/Hull match, but Man C clearly weren't the better team on the day and absolutely got out of gaol.

Like I say, lucky Lambert. His teams play rubbish for 90% of the time yet every year he scrapes free of relegation.

Edited by briny_ear

He's so lucky. All that good luck and he's never ever faced with any bad luck.

Some sort of sorcerer, obviously.

He was certainly lucky to get that nice fat 4 year contract despite having such an abysmal results record.

Wasn't really the point we were discussing was it?

He hasn't been luck y to avoid relegation.

We've been shit. Much shitter than we should have been, and we still are shitter than we should have been. I don't think Lambert should be in charge anymore.

But it's not luck that we're not quite shit enough to get relegated (so far). We've deserved to stay up, just. IN the same way as we'll deserve to go down if we go down.

Or are we now slating Lambert for the fact that he MIGHT have been crapper than he actually is if certain results hadn't happened as they had?

Would you be happy if I defended him because we might be 12th if some results had gone our way?

• Like 2

He's so lucky. All that good luck and he's never ever faced with any bad luck.

Some sort of sorcerer, obviously.

word is he's been speaking with the solitudinous mountain warlocks with prospects of inflating his lucid luck. might just be hearsay though..

Would love to see the reviews on here if Villa had been involved in any of those results: "Ah well, fair enough, the better team got the result." :)

Anyway, I don't know if you saw any of the Man C/Hull match, but Man C clearly weren't the better team on the day and absolutely got out of gaol.

Like I say, lucky Lambert. His teams play rubbish for 90% of the time yet every year he scrapes free of relegation.

And I hope he stays lucky, because his luck is our luck, and relegation at this time could be a disaster from which we might never recover.

• Like 1

There's no denying that Lambert has had very bad luck with injuries but you have to question his centre half signings this year. We started with Clark who in my opinion is just not good enough. Baker and Vlaar who are very injury prone and Okore who missed an entire season. He signed one new centre half again with a very bad injury record. Now he is not to know that all his players would get injured at the same time but based on injury records the chances were high.

But anyway Injuries and bad luck aside, surely 3 seasons is enough to form a fair opinion on a manager?

And I hope he stays lucky, because his luck is our luck, and relegation at this time could be a disaster from which we might never recover.

Looking at some of the owners in the championship I would say that relegation would increase our chances of being taken over if Lerner was prepared to cut his loses.

Â