Paul Lambert

limpid

That's **** ridiculous.

There was a time when these statistics were defensible. Often they are taken out of context or twisted to suit. That particular one is beyond my comprehension.

He should he ashamed of that, I assume he is.

OTT.

I don't understand? Over the top in what sense?

Maybe we need to got over the top and vary our tactics to create more chances rather than sitting back and inviting pressure.

More ridicule from the press! every week now they are having a laugh at our goalscoring form:

B9PTUH-IYAAZz-F.jpg

How does becoming a joke in the national media help tom fox sell the club to potential sponsors and open new markets?

I hope if he's job becomes difficult he puts the pressure on Lerner to sack the manager.

I Might as well ask the old Spurs fan who lives in the flat below me for his opinion as well if we are considering Michael Owen's opinion on Villa as relevant.

I agree mate we don't really need Owens two penneths worth. We can see all with our own eyes.

This thread is just going around in circles now and makes for tough reading and I am also sick to death of seeing and hearing negative stat after negative stat related to our results under Lambert in various forms of the media.

Clearly all this can't be allowed to go on. There comes a breaking point and it is fast approaching. Whether some like it or not but the vast majority of supporters are now totally pissed off. There is a defeatist attitude amongst many that go now which is totally understandable given our results over such a long period but it obviously transmits to a tense atmosphere being created. It isn't helped that when the club is spoken about it is in a negative way. The fans can't switch off from that and clearly the players won't be oblivious to it either.

It all results in a snow ball effect. Negative results and poor runs of form are extremely difficult to break out of. It is not just about what happens on the pitch it is that 7 days before the next game where you pick up the paper, you turn on the tv, you listen to the radio and how poor we have been is rammed down your throat. In every interview now Lambert is fending off questions regarding our poor results and lack of goals. Same with the players. You throw it all together and it results in a negative feeling surrounding the club and simply increases pressure going into the next game. It is for this reason why I don't share the optimism of some and the clinging to the fact that we have some favorable fixtures coming up. We will have players going into them fixtures under a black cloud of a diabolical run of results, with zero confidence and under huge pressure. Just because you apparently have an easier run of fixtures you don't discard the scars of past results they will be taken into those games with you.

As much as I'd love to be more optimistic especially as I will be setting out for VP in a couple of hours I really don't see this nightmare ending any time soon. A change in manager for me would though at least allow someone to come in who wasn't carrying the scars of past results that Lambert has. A new manager wouldn't have the crowd ready to pounce on his back when we go a goal down.  A new manager wouldn't have to fend off question, after question about our diabolical results under him. He can come in with a clean slate, fresh ideas, be a fresh voice in the dressing, can say to the players forget whats happened in the past this is a fresh start under me now. All things that Lambert can't do as he has overseen it all.

I am not overly optimistic that a change in manager will be forthcoming but it doesn't change the fact that it is what is desperately needed.

I am much more interested in listening to Villa fans opinions, rather than these football pundits, who only really have a cosmetic opinion of Villa and have little knowledge of what goes on at B6

I was listening to "Talk Shite" they havn't a scoobie doo what is happening at Villa.

I totally agree with you Mark, we have our own eyes, we don't need graphic descriptions....and yes you are so right, its getting tedious.

Despite my overall opinion that Paul Lambert has had enough time despite the argument of lack of funds ( whether it is directly his fault or not, which is a seperate debate) but maybe for this season it is now too late, we are now in gamble territory.

Feel much the same as you, only I have stopped going as I don't feel I have much to offer in the way of Support at present....so I keep my negative thoughts away from the ground, where I do feel only positive thoughts can help.

but I do miss the day, if not the football.

UTV

I Might as well ask the old Spurs fan who lives in the flat below me for his opinion as well if we are considering Michael Owen's opinion on Villa as relevant.

I agree mate we don't really need Owens two penneths worth. We can see all with our own eyes.

This thread is just going around in circles now and makes for tough reading and I am also sick to death of seeing and hearing negative stat after negative stat related to our results under Lambert in various forms of the media.

Clearly all this can't be allowed to go on. There comes a breaking point and it is fast approaching. Whether some like it or not but the vast majority of supporters are now totally pissed off. There is a defeatist attitude amongst many that go now which is totally understandable given our results over such a long period but it obviously transmits to a tense atmosphere being created. It isn't helped that when the club is spoken about it is in a negative way. The fans can't switch off from that and clearly the players won't be oblivious to it either.

It all results in a snow ball effect. Negative results and poor runs of form are extremely difficult to break out of. It is not just about what happens on the pitch it is that 7 days before the next game where you pick up the paper, you turn on the tv, you listen to the radio and how poor we have been is rammed down your throat. In every interview now Lambert is fending off questions regarding our poor results and lack of goals. Same with the players. You throw it all together and it results in a negative feeling surrounding the club and simply increases pressure going into the next game. It is for this reason why I don't share the optimism of some and the clinging to the fact that we have some favorable fixtures coming up. We will have players going into them fixtures under a black cloud of a diabolical run of results, with zero confidence and under huge pressure. Just because you apparently have an easier run of fixtures you don't discard the scars of past results they will be taken into those games with you.

As much as I'd love to be more optimistic especially as I will be setting out for VP in a couple of hours I really don't see this nightmare ending any time soon. A change in manager for me would though at least allow someone to come in who wasn't carrying the scars of past results that Lambert has. A new manager wouldn't have the crowd ready to pounce on his back when we go a goal down.  A new manager wouldn't have to fend off question, after question about our diabolical results under him. He can come in with a clean slate, fresh ideas, be a fresh voice in the dressing, can say to the players forget whats happened in the past this is a fresh start under me now. All things that Lambert can't do as he has overseen it all.

I am not overly optimistic that a change in manager will be forthcoming but it doesn't change the fact that it is what is desperately needed.

I am much more interested in listening to Villa fans opinions, rather than these football pundits, who only really have a cosmetic opinion of Villa and have little knowledge of what goes on at B6

I was listening to "Talk Shite" they havn't a scoobie doo what is happening at Villa.

I totally agree with you Mark, we have our own eyes, we don't need graphic descriptions....and yes you are so right, its getting tedious.

Despite my overall opinion that Paul Lambert has had enough time despite the argument of lack of funds ( whether it is directly his fault or not, which is a seperate debate) but maybe for this season it is now too late, we are now in gamble territory.

Feel much the same as you, only I have stopped going as I don't feel I have much to offer in the way of Support at present....so I keep my negative thoughts away from the ground, where I do feel only positive thoughts can help.

but I do miss the day, if not the football.

UTV

• Like 1

That is one view. Not one I agree with actually.

Looking back across the last 12 months in the league we've managed to score once beyond the 75th minute. Yes, scoring is an issue but we seem even less likely to score  in that final stage of the game.

The only goal we did manage to score in the final 15 minutes was strangely enough when we beat Chelsea 1-0.

Hopefully that proves to be the case again today.

The last twelve months in the league includes what? Another 10 games. And during a last 15 minute spell in one of those games, we scored? Well looks like our ratio just skyrocketed.

Poor fitness, too defensive, bad substitutions? Maybe. But it's more likely it's just a symptom of our overall inability to score goals. Which is what the problem is. These are not extra problems. The big bad stat is that we can't score goals. When those goals aren't scored is not the problem, it's just that they aren't scored.

The last 12 months would include 14 league games last season and 23 this - so 37 league games.

For the sake of doing it over 38 league games take it back another week so it's over 38.

1 goal in the final 15 minutes across the equivalent of an entire season. Worth a discussion point but obviously I agree the overall problem is the inability of the team to score!

I think it's quite relevant. It means if we are leading we don't push for a further goal and if we are losing we can't break people down. It's either fitness or tactics. It'd be interesting to see how many we've conceded in the last 15 in that time and how many games we've lost by 1 goal. Good teams play right until the last minute and get big goals and results in the last 15.

• Like 1

I believe City did change the landscape....I also believe we had a spell where we paid too much money in funds and wages for players that did not match up....everyone buys duff players ,we simply bought too many.

I think Randy lost faith in managers spending good money on players and then finding the players did not match the fee's/wages.

We had an opportunity they we have never had before and may never have again....and we blew it, buying substandard players.

thats my penny worth.

My take on this is more that Randy did not do the "due diligence" on what he was spending until it was too late. If you spend more on a group of players than you can afford long term, it doesn't really matter how good  or bad they are (in the opinion of individual fans) - you just have to sell them and take the consequences.

Plus, having realised he had spent beyond his means, he went on spending in an increasingly foolish fashion - N'Zogbia, Bent, for example. 

The club has been managed very badly since 2007 - maybe only topped by the disaster of the late 60s, and we know where that led us.

Briny, I have an ever so slightly different view on that....but generally agree.

I am not about to say Randy was blameless, but I do think it is fair to say fans knew in Randy, we wasn't getting a David Dein...He was not understood to be a football Guru, so he trusted in his Leiutenants

Rightly or wrongly he trusted his managers to buy prudently.....had they had done so, revenue streams would have increased and the fee's/wage issues would have been negated....not to mention the peripheral interest in the club that generates money.

The timing is a debate on its own, but if Randy had of stepped in sooner, when results were in a much better state than today....He would have been deemed as interfering in much the same way as HDE

So it could be said he was buggered either way, but Hindsight is an exact science.

If you are saying its Randy's fault for appointing the wrong managers, then i would have to agree, so indirectly it is his fault is what I would concur on....I also think it was naive of him to remove Steve Stride, who could have helped him during those difficult financial times.

However

I still have this nagging opinion that IF Brian Clough was alive he would join the debate by saying " Young man, when you get a Chairman that is allowing you to spend money on players, thank your lucky stars and make bloody sure you spend it well" because they don't like doing it and you may not get another chance...."If you spend well you may strengthen your argument to buy more"

I understand the financial landscape we are now in, but Managers like Ron Saunders had spending restrictions too,(pro rata) imposed on him, but he appointed good support staff in Barton & McLaren, had a philosophy and stuck to it.....There was discipline around then, which seems missing at present.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Look at Benteke in the bottom corner actually looks like he's crying

If that was Andy gray/Peter withe or Andy Lochhead  they would come out with their hearts as big as the Holte end.....and ram them stats down everyones throats.

not crying in their own self pity....what has the game come to?

• Like 1

put out a side worthy of Aston Villa

what does that actually mean
19 games; 2 wins and 7 goals. Justify this with a team I personally think is not far off the standard of Southampton. Ohh, but they have a manager with a little tactical abilty.I would argue all day long with fans who continue to say no other manager could do better here. As I have just mentioned one of the best managers in the league who would (I have no doubt) have this team playing more confident tactical football, with an end product, i.e goals, and im sure a winning mentality, somethin Lambert has struggled with ever since he sighed that 1st contract.
not sure how your post relates to my question posed there to be honest, maybe you quoted the wrong one

More of a reminder what your supporting.

Does anybody really believe this looks like a,squad that would struggle for goals. Not me, for me its down to tactics. I really think we should revert to hoofball against Chelsea if even just to get a goal scored. You cannot continue yo play possession football against teams that are masters of it.

not crying in their own self pity....what has the game come to?

What on Earth are you talking about?

reacting to ash villa's comment on looks like Beneteke is crying in the image....whether he is or not....My Point is man up and come out fighting, not wallowing in self doubt/pity

Edited by TRO

Â