Paul Lambert

limpid

I think anyone with half a brain can see that Lambert has not been backed well financially. Perhaps a better indicator would be average spend per player bought. Or you could just see the obvious very few teams and managers have had the restrictions placed on Lambert. I want Lambert gone but I'm certainly not going to let it cloud rational thought.

You could also argue that Lambert chose to re-structure the bulk of the squad, and he decided to spread his small budget on lots of players instead of looking more at what we had, and just buying 2 or 3 better players.

It's all part of management.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, a squad which includea Guzan, Cissokho, Hutton, Okore, Vlaar, Delph, Westwood, Sanchez, Cleverley, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor and Benteke should not be struggling. Whether he has spent 100m, 50m or 10m, the squad we have is not one which should be worrying about relegation!

I agree.

Net Spend is just something that can be twisted to suit whatever argument it is you're peddling.

As someone else said, unless you consider the context it doesn't really mean anything.

• Like 3

Yep, he has done brilliantly with the money. He just can't get the best out of them, and is too afraid to try something other than the standard 4-3-2-1 with four central midfielders. Sometimes you need to shake things up and when players like Gabby are in the team no matter what (and made bloody captain) it makes me question Lambert's decision making.

But he really has done well for the money spent. Frustrating.

At the end of the day, I feel Lambert has spent his money well. Very well actually.

Which makes our current position even more disappointing as we should be doing better.

He's bought some decent players, but I don't think he's used his money well at all.  He bought Bennett, Luna, Bacuna and Lowton as full backs, none of whom were any good there, so he's had to go back to using a player that was frozen out for two years.  Then there are the nothing players like KEA, Tonev, Bowery, Sylla and so on who individually didn't cost much, but when you add it all up we'd have been much better with fewer, more expensive players,

As everybody rightly points out though, it's his complete lack of coaching ability that is the main reason he should be sacked.

• Like 1

Using any set of money to prove a point is just daft IMO. Guzan being signed on a free doesn't make him bad, Gill being signed for cheap doesn't mean he will have less impact on games that a more expensive player.

I don't need to look at fees and wages to know the players we have could and should be playing better as individuals and a team. The reason they're not is not because of the amount they're paid each week.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, I feel Lambert has spent his money well. Very well actually.

Which makes our current position even more disappointing as we should be doing better.

He's bought some decent players, but I don't think he's used his money well at all.  He bought Bennett, Luna, Bacuna and Lowton as full backs, none of whom were any good there, so he's had to go back to using a player that was frozen out for two years.  Then there are the nothing players like KEA, Tonev, Bowery, Sylla and so on who individually didn't cost much, but when you add it all up we'd have been much better with fewer, more expensive players,

As everybody rightly points out though, it's his complete lack of coaching ability that is the main reason he should be sacked.

I don't agree that Bacuna was bought as a full back. He just ended up there last season.

Bennett, Luna and Bacuna cost what... about £6million combined? Lowton is still very much a squad member too so I'd hardly consider him a waste.

KEA we more or less recouped our fee didn't we?

So Tonev Bowery and Sylla? Again how much was that? £5 million if that? And that's not including anything we might get back if we sell them.

He's hardly wasted a fortune has he? Every manager signs flops, and I think Lambert's record is pretty good.

If MON had spent his money half as well as Lambert (extrapolated obviously) we'd have made the Champions League and then some.

But all of those players probably cost around 10m alltogether. I think the most expensive of the bunch was probably Lowton for about 2m. They were mostly cheap buys in the hopes that they could improve into a decent PL player. You will always get misses when you do that, and even from your list Bacuna, Lowton and KEA were / are ok. They aren't the best but can fill a position in the squad and deputise in the case of injury.

If you wanted to be sure that you would fill those positions with proven quality you'd probably be talking about at least 5m per player.

To a large extent the amount you pay for players determines the quality your going to get. That we're doing quite poorly is a reflection on the quality of player are able to afford. Somehow individual players seem to get overrated and so when you put them together people mistakenly think we shoul be doing a lot better. Paul's done well to get them fighting for their lives and with a good chance of staying up.

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

5 head coaches since 2008

In a sport without relegation? Seems like he wanted to see improvement. Why can't he do the same for us then?

4 managers since 2008.

One manager walked out, one manager had a major health problem, one manager was Alex McLeish (the only one that he fired) and one manager is still here.

What is your point? 

My point was purely factual. What makes you believe I have another beyond that? 

Just wondered, the reply seemed to suggest that having 4 managers since 2008 was Lerner's way of trying to improve us (as per villarocker's previous comment). 

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

In a sport without relegation? Seems like he wanted to see improvement. Why can't he do the same for us then?

4 managers since 2008.

One manager walked out, one manager had a major health problem, one manager was Alex McLeish (the only one that he fired) and one manager is still here.

What is your point? 

You've proved his point, if anything.

Not really, because the 'point' was unknown. I have addressed DDID directly on this.

4 managers since 2008.

What is your point? 

You've proved his point, if anything.

Not really, because the 'point' was unknown. I have addressed DDID directly on this.

I inferred his point to be that having 5 head coaches since 2008 is not an indication of ambition.

villarocker had concluded that having 5 head coaches since 2008 meant Lerner had ambition for that team.

But we've had 4 managers.

We know Lerner isn't being very ambitious here, so that proves you can't use number of managers/head coaches to indicate ambition. You proved that by pointing out that other circumstances come into play.

Edited by Stevo985

A loss to Bournemouth and this guy surely couldn't be justified in staying.

He's here until the end of the season I think people need to get used to that

Yep, I don't think he would be allowed to buy players like Gil if he was leaving this month. He is here for the remainder of this season at least, we have got to hope that maybe with another signing or two this window we can turn a corner and start scoring a bit more frequently and winning a few more games.

A loss to Bournemouth and this guy surely couldn't be justified in staying.

He's here until the end of the season I think people need to get used to that

There will come a point if we fail to improve soon.

Edited by DCJonah

Â