Paul Lambert

limpid

Where do you expect to be right now, given all of the above? (For me, anywhere between 17th and 12th.)

Fair points made in the other ones.

For this IMO if all I cared about was our league position I wouldn't go to games and just check my sky sports app on a Saturday night.

In terms of where I expect to be I think I've had a pretty simple, realistic expectation of just improving. If we're 14th,15th or 16th it doesn't really matter to me if there's no improvement in results.

We got 42 points in his first season, I don't think its crazy to expect an improvement on that 2 years later. If he could of achieved 47/48 points this year I'd probably have been looking forward to seeing us progress more under him next season but there's nothing. Theres nothing that makes me think the longer we keep him the better will we do. So I don't see the point. I also think the crowds will continue to grow in wanting him gone which can only be a negative effect for the club .

Absolutely not crazy to expect to see an improvement; but also not nailed on to actually improve in this regard.  I'm not defending Lambert here at all by the way, it's just more an indication of where we are as Aston Villa.  As I put whenever it was, I'd probably favour Lambert being sacked now - mainly because it's got to the point where fans are being vocal about things.  As soon as things go that far, you're in trouble and the atmosphere tends to clog up everything (as you say).

He's not the biggest problem at the club by a long stretch though and I remain unconvinced that a managerial change will bring about better fortune.  Perhaps we should just have fun whilst standing still though, eh?

This may sound too simplistic but I don't think it is.

1. Stop using Hutton and Cissokho as creative players. Allow them to overlap on occasions but their focus should be defense.

2. Stop playing 3 very similar central midfielders. Sacrifice one and move the other one up behind the striker, If needs be drop the 2 remaining midfielders further back to cover if the pressure is on.

3. Get some ACTUAL wide players. This allows more variety of attacks, stops our fullbacks from needing to bomb on so much and actually gives us more balance defensively.

4. Play to Benteke's strengths. Provide the guy with multiple opportunities per game and he will score.

I don't see how these changes are that difficult to implement. Even if for number 3 we have to drop Andi and Gabby for CNZ, Bacuna or Grealish. Just give the team some balance in every aspect both positional and tactical.

Agree with a lot of that.
Get some actual wide players eh. Apparently that's what we're doing but I don't know if you've noticed but we're pretty skint. Also, I don't believe Bacuna is the answer to any problem. He's as unable to do anything constructive as gabby, Andi or N'Zogbia for that matter too. Which only leaves grealish. To be fair to Lambert we had Joe Cole playing advanced when fit, those two times that's happened
So when we bid £8 million for cleverley there was no way we could have tried to sign a wide player?
Looks like we may have dodged a bullet on that one. The thing is, who knows who we were after in the summer? I think this football manager business is a bit more complicated than many people make out

Of course. But lack of width has been an issue since day one and you seem to dismiss the criticism as if he's had no chance to even try and correct it.

If he's so good at budgets and money then move him up to a board role, he's the manager of the team and lives and dies by results. I don't care about what financial strains or any other factors he's had to deal with. Tell us how with the squad he has winning 2 in 18 can be in any twisted interpretation be considered as a good job?

Theres an argument he's done a decent job on finances and player recruitment but there is definitely not one for doing a good one on the pitch, absolutely no chance.

• Like 2

If he's so good at budgets and money then move him up to a board role, he's the manager of the team and lives and dies by results. I don't care about what financial strains or any other factors he's had to deal with. Tell us how with the squad he has winning 2 in 18 can be in any twisted interpretation be considered as a good job?

Theres an argument he's done a decent job on finances and player recruitment but there is definitely not one for doing a good one on the pitch, absolutely no chance.

You can write things as macho as you want, but it doesn't mean what you say has any bearing on reality. You can be unhappy or bored or whatever but to dismiss the financial limitations like that is just foolish, imo. You're setting yourself up to be very disillusioned for a very long time - until that foretold moment where some billionaire comes and buys us out of nowhere.

You can write things as macho as you want, but it doesn't mean what you say has any bearing on reality. You can be unhappy or bored or whatever but to dismiss the financial limitations like that is just foolish, imo. You're setting yourself up to be very disillusioned for a very long time - until that foretold moment where some billionaire comes and buys us out of nowhere.

Macho? Erm you've taken that from the post with your own imagination, secondly i am clearly not the one who is disillusioned buddy. If you want to reply to a point made in future which you haven't here then please do but if you're going to reply with such utter nonsense then in future just don't embarrass yourself.

Lives and dies by his results is a bit simplistic though. It's a brainless movie line :P this is backed up by the fact you state in your post you're going to go ahead and ignore ALL context for where we are as a football club.

Additionally, I think you are disillusioned. Did you even understand the word?! I think most of us are disillusioned right now. Who wouldn't be?!

It is quite conceivable (and I guess we can't be expected to win) that we will lose to Arsenal and Chelsea.

With some of the teams around us playing each other and some others having slightly easier fixtures than us we could find ourselves either in or very close to the relegation zone going into our away game with Hull.

That game will be so crucial for us as we cannot afford to lose there also.

Folks, we are in a very bad way.

It is quite conceivable (and I guess we can't be expected to win) that we will lose to Arsenal and Chelsea.

With some of the teams around us playing each other and some others having slightly easier fixtures than us we could find ourselves either in or very close to the relegation zone going into our away game with Hull.

If, by the end of the Hull game, we haven't had a win, I think he'll be gone.

Lives and dies by his results is a bit simplistic though. It's a brainless movie line :P this is backed up by the fact you state in your post you're going to go ahead and ignore ALL context for where we are as a football club.

Additionally, I think you are disillusioned. Did you even understand the word?! I think most of us are disillusioned right now. Who wouldn't be?!

I didn't state i'd "ignore" anything, i said despite how bad it may be or how little he's had to spend there is absolutely no excuse for some of the results and the stats so far this season. I think you read the post and just took what you wanted from it to be honest.

So we either need to beat Arsenal, Chelsea or Hull or you think he will be a goner. I hope by then it is not too late to correct any mess.

So we either need to beat Arsenal, Chelsea or Hull or you think he will be a goner. I hope by then it is not too late to correct any mess.

Yeah I reckon so.

Maybe 3 draws.

But if we lost all those 3 we'd really be in deep shit.

I've said all along I think the only way he'll be sacked is if relegation becomes a real possibility (not saying it isn't possible now, I mean if it's likely).

Either way I think the Hull game is a big game for Lambert.

This may sound too simplistic but I don't think it is. 

1. Stop using Hutton and Cissokho as creative players. Allow them to overlap on occasions but their focus should be defense.

2. Stop playing 3 very similar central midfielders. Sacrifice one and move the other one up behind the striker, If needs be drop the 2 remaining midfielders further back to cover if the pressure is on.

3. Get some ACTUAL wide players. This allows more variety of attacks, stops our fullbacks from needing to bomb on so much and actually gives us more balance defensively.

4. Play to Benteke's strengths. Provide the guy with multiple opportunities per game and he will score.

I don't see how these changes are that difficult to implement. Even if for number 3 we have to drop Andi and Gabby for CNZ, Bacuna or Grealish. Just give the team some balance in every aspect both positional and tactical.

I agree with nearly everything that you post but I do think that this is too simplistic. Lambert and his staff must discuss this on a daily, if not hourly basis and what we have is their best attempt at resolving the situation given the resources at their disposal

1  I've no issue with how Hutton and Cissoko play and think that they perform their defensive duties as well as they are able, irrespective

2  With current personal, we're probably agreed on Westwood, Sanchez and Delph starting. Lambert then normally goes for Cleverly, Gabby and Weimann. I think that he does this because he sees this as more solid defensively. I think he would have played Cole more if he could stay fit for longer than 30 minutes. I think he is reluctant to use Bacuna or Grealish until later in games because he is worried that whilst they give us more going forward, they also weaken us defensively and at set plays

3  If Milner, Downing and Young were still here they would be Lamberts first names on the sheet. As it is we have few options. He could have bought but firstly, he had other priorities and secondly maybe what he could afford (Dawkins!) would not be better than what he already had (Grealish, Bacuna).  Gil is a good start and hopefully Grealish will develop into the player we all want and hope for

4 We are clearly not providing nearly enough opportunities for Beneteke, but I also think that he is still not back to the player we know he can be both physically and attitude-wise

I would have loved to see how we would go with a steady CB pairing - with Vlaar and Senderos or even Okore and Clark playing regularly I think that it gives a security and confidence to allow FBs and Midfield to be more adventourous rather than the safety first, careful and unproductive approach we currently have

Not excuses just trying to understand reasons

• Like 1

Fact, results are poor.

Not a fact, Lambert has the hardest job in the premier League.

Fact, we are not scoring goals.

Not a fact, Lambert is doing the best with the team/funds he has.

Fact, West Brom are now above us with anew manager.

Not, a fact Lambert will not be sacked.

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

Yeah I reckon so.

Maybe 3 draws.

I've said all along I think the only way he'll be sacked is if relegation becomes a real possibility (not saying it isn't possible now, I mean if it's likely).

To be honest it would be better to lose to Arsenal and Chelsea and beat Hull rather than draw all 3.

I think 10th February could prove to be a real big day.

Fact, results are poor.

Not a fact, Lambert has the hardest hob in the premier League.

Fact, we are not scoring goals.

Not a fact, Lambert is doing the best with the team/funds he has.

Fact, West Brom are now above us with anew manager.

Not, a fact Lambert will not be sacked.

How do you know, have you been in his kitchen?  :)

• Like 4

Yeah I reckon so.

Maybe 3 draws.

To be honest it would be better to lose to Arsenal and Chelsea and beat Hull rather than draw all 3.

I think 10th February could prove to be a real big day.

I agree.

The psychological effect of losing or drawing to Hull would be big in my opinion.

We'll probably lose to both Arsenal and Chelsea. But if we follow that up with a win then we can say right, those hard games are out of the way, we've got some easier fixtures coming up and look, we CAN beat those teams around us.

But if we lose that game, we;ll feel like we can't beat anybody.

It's a bigger game than it looks on paper, imo.

• Like 2

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

I really don't know. 

If Randolph wants to keep us in the Premier League, he simply has to sack Lambert. I would assume his goal is for us to stay up, so he can get maximum return on selling up. However, if we get to the point of no return, where we're definitely going down, he might choose to keep him because he has a track record in promotions and hope we come straight back up.

I don't  think Lerner's completely given up interest in us and he knows it's in his best interest to keep us up in the Premier League, so if things get any worse, I think he will step in and pull the trigger.

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

The big difference is that Cleveland Browns could never get relegated.

• Like 1

Â