Paul Lambert

limpid

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

5 head coaches since 2008

Do many others get the feeling that we could be in the bottom 3 with anything from 1 to 14 games remaining and Lerner still wouldn't make a change to the manager's position?

I get the feeling that Lerner would simply stand by and let us drop whilst keeping his blind hope that Lambert would turn it around. Does anyone know how regularly he changed managers when the Cleveland Browns were finishing bottom season after season?

The big difference is that Cleveland Browns could never get relegated.

I know but changing manager may have given fans hope of seeing winning football?

5 head coaches since 2008

In a sport without relegation? Seems like he wanted to see improvement. Why can't he do the same for us then?

I know but changing manager may have given fans hope of seeing winning football?

Oh you mean like at SHA, Palace and Albion.

If we beat Hull it'll be the turn around we need an Lambert will be praised for his managerial genius

or he'll be praised for getting three points and we'll all hope it is the start of some winning games for us?

or alternatively of course people could say it was a one off and nothing more than we should expect anyway and if we win 2-0 why couldnt it have been 3-0 and how it was nothing he did anyway etc etc etc

• Like 4

Here's an idea for you Paul, maybe not to be used for the Arsenal or Chelsea games but certainly for Hull.

Why not try to play 4 - yes Paul 4 attacking players in either a 4-3-3 system with Gil behind Benteke OR a 4-4-2 formation with Gil on one wing and Grealish....sorry, you're sending him on loan to benefit someone else so maybe Gabby or N'Zogbia on the other wing. In each formation you can keep Sanchez in the anchor role to protect your improved defensive look and still find a way to fit in either Delph or Westwood - sorry Paul but Cleverly is NOT an improvement on anything that we already have so shouldn't be given game time in advance of any of our own players unless he starts to show a big improvement.

I know that looks scary but at least you might give the fans something to cheer when we score at least one goal!

• Like 1

This may sound too simplistic but I don't think it is. 

1. Stop using Hutton and Cissokho as creative players. Allow them to overlap on occasions but their focus should be defense.

2. Stop playing 3 very similar central midfielders. Sacrifice one and move the other one up behind the striker, If needs be drop the 2 remaining midfielders further back to cover if the pressure is on.

3. Get some ACTUAL wide players. This allows more variety of attacks, stops our fullbacks from needing to bomb on so much and actually gives us more balance defensively.

4. Play to Benteke's strengths. Provide the guy with multiple opportunities per game and he will score.

I don't see how these changes are that difficult to implement. Even if for number 3 we have to drop Andi and Gabby for CNZ, Bacuna or Grealish. Just give the team some balance in every aspect both positional and tactical.

I agree with nearly everything that you post but I do think that this is too simplistic. Lambert and his staff must discuss this on a daily, if not hourly basis and what we have is their best attempt at resolving the situation given the resources at their disposal

1  I've no issue with how Hutton and Cissoko play and think that they perform their defensive duties as well as they are able, irrespective

2  With current personal, we're probably agreed on Westwood, Sanchez and Delph starting. Lambert then normally goes for Cleverly, Gabby and Weimann. I think that he does this because he sees this as more solid defensively. I think he would have played Cole more if he could stay fit for longer than 30 minutes. I think he is reluctant to use Bacuna or Grealish until later in games because he is worried that whilst they give us more going forward, they also weaken us defensively and at set plays

3  If Milner, Downing and Young were still here they would be Lamberts first names on the sheet. As it is we have few options. He could have bought but firstly, he had other priorities and secondly maybe what he could afford (Dawkins!) would not be better than what he already had (Grealish, Bacuna).  Gil is a good start and hopefully Grealish will develop into the player we all want and hope for

4 We are clearly not providing nearly enough opportunities for Beneteke, but I also think that he is still not back to the player we know he can be both physically and attitude-wise

I would have loved to see how we would go with a steady CB pairing - with Vlaar and Senderos or even Okore and Clark playing regularly I think that it gives a security and confidence to allow FBs and Midfield to be more adventourous rather than the safety first, careful and unproductive approach we currently have

Not excuses just trying to understand reasons

To be honest i'm just trying to find potential alternatives to solve our current attacking issues. Obviously this is coming from what I've seen and I don't know anything about the behind the scenes stuff but its clear that we need to change things up in attack and I believe the options I suggested could work. I wasn't necessarily highlighting the full backs as an issue but instead highlighting the issue of using them as our only form of width. I don't believe that the options I suggested require much tweaking either but instead require 'some balls'. 

Midfield is, and has been, our biggest issue for a long time. If this was football manager you could say we have at times all 3 of them either on support or defensive mentality which isn't necessary for every game. You've got 2 strikers trying to provide width when their natural instinct is to go narrow and what we end up with is just a mass of players stood in the middle of the pitch providing no movement or options.

I sympothise heavily with Lambert, with the money he has been given he hasn't really been able to splash out on those more expensive positions and I'm hoping that's what will be coming soon but until then shoe-horning players into a formation and tactic that isn't suited to them is not working.

Alternatives must be tried because even the most ardent of Lambert supporters must agree that in it's current incarnation our all round play is not good.

• Like 1

Errr, yeah!

Something has gone horribly wrong here. I've got Foreveryoung and DCJonah liking my posts! Have I gone over to the dark side???  ;)

Yes.  It happened when you and pacbuddies became besties.  The World just hasn't been right since ;)

• Like 3

If we beat Hull it'll be the turn around we need an Lambert will be praised for his managerial genius

or he'll be praised for getting three points and we'll all hope it is the start of some winning games for us?

or alternatively of course people could say it was a one off and nothing more than we should expect anyway and if we win 2-0 why couldnt it have been 3-0 and how it was nothing he did anyway etc etc etc

There is more chance of some people getting carried away and believing that we have turned a corner after one win than there is of anyone moaning about a 2-0 win.

History on this thread shows that. 

Richard, he has lost a lot of support from the fans, the majority to be fair but, if he got us playing winning football, maybe not even winning football but football whereby we look competitive and score goals, I am sure the fans would be a lot happier and the amount of negative posts would drastically lessen.

I don't care about who manages Villa as long as they can get the very best out of our squad of players and, unfortunately, Lambert is not doing that!

Errr, yeah!

Ask Santa for a new sarcasm detector (you will have to wait a while of course).  :)

Something has gone horribly wrong here. I've got Foreveryoung and DCJonah liking my posts! Have I gone over to the dark side???  ;)

Yes.  It happened when you and pacbuddies became besties.  The World just hasn't been right since ;)

Eventually everyone comes over to the dark side (except Richard perhaps).  :D

• Like 1

Fact, results are poor.

Not a fact, Lambert has the hardest job in the premier League.

Fact, we are not scoring goals.

Not a fact, Lambert is doing the best with the team/funds he has.

Fact, West Brom are now above us with anew manager.

Not, a fact Lambert will not be sacked.

Not a fact...

• Like 3

Fans are now more clued up to the fact that any victory under Lambert is simply a one off. 

We've been burnt too many times by big wins being the "turning point of our season"! Now, they're just a blip in our normally abysmal year. 

• Like 2

Â