Paul Lambert

limpid

The problems / circumstances / footballing environment / issues that Lambert has faced I'm sorry but none of the other managers we have had in 30 years have had or could have dealt with them as successfully as Lambert and in terms of successfully that is

Retain our status

Reduce our wage bil and shift out more experienced players

Operate by basically having to buy cheap and take a punt here or there but unearth gems

Not lose any  money or much money on transfers

Build a squad that will improve in terms of ability and value

Compete with other teams who do not have the same constraints

Plenty others I could add but hey ho its all been said before and no doubt will be again

• Like 3

I'm throwing this out there...we have the fifth equal best defence. Therefore, it's wrong to say thing have been all bad under Lambert. To make this clearer...we had the third worst defence in his first season and the forth worst defence in his second season.

We have definitely improved defensively, and that's mostly down to his signings. Consider the club was losing fifty mil a year when he came and that we're now breaking even, he's done a lot since he's been here. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to spend big Money on attacking players. Considering the rest of the team looks solid now, going forwards he should be able to focus on new attacking players. Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when you have **** all to spend on players and you're required to get rid of huge wage earners from the books

We have one of the best defences in the because we have 9 players behind the ball. Why do you think we are not scoring goals. One of Lamberts biggest issues is defence has now took priority over attack. He is shit scared of the 5-6 nil drumming.

• Like 2

The problems / circumstances / footballing environment / issues that Lambert has faced I'm sorry but none of the other managers we have had in 30 years have had or could have dealt with them as successfully as Lambert and in terms of successfully that is

Retain our status

Operate by basically having to buy cheap and take a punt here or there but unearth gems

Not lose any money or much money on transfers

Plenty others I could add but hey ho its all been said before and no doubt will be again

Then he sounds like he would have been best as back room staff and got some one else to be manager, someone who can organise an motivate, what I think is a decent enough squad. Edited by foreveryoung

I'm throwing this out there...we have the fifth equal best defence. Therefore, it's wrong to say thing have been all bad under Lambert. To make this clearer...we had the third worst defence in his first season and the forth worst defence in his second season.

We have definitely improved defensively, and that's mostly down to his signings. Consider the club was losing fifty mil a year when he came and that we're now breaking even, he's done a lot since he's been here. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to spend big Money on attacking players. Considering the rest of the team looks solid now, going forwards he should be able to focus on new attacking players. Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when you have **** all to spend on players and you're required to get rid of huge wage earners from the books

We have one of the best defences in the because we have 9 players behind the ball. Why do you think we are not scoring goals. One of Lamberts biggest issues is defence has now took priority over attack. He is shit scared of the 5-6 nil drumming.
Sorry but I don't buy it. We're better in defence because of the many defensive signings we've made. Okore, Cisssoko, Sanchez, senderos. We may be more cautious than the first year, the year we looked truly weak in defence with the likes of lichaj playing plenty of games and an over reliance on Clark and Baker and Bennett and Lowton, but are you really saying personnel have not made a difference?, because I think you're lying to yourself. I've seen all the goalless game this season...taking crystal palace for example, they sat back and tried to counter us. It's the type of game we'd have **** up for years and not because we had nine men behind the ball but because our attacking players are incapable of breaking down an organised defence. We need new attacking players - players like Gil. We need attackers who don't lose the ball all the time like Gabby, Andi and N'Zogbia do. That costs money though Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 4

Retain our status

So we're lucky to have him.

98 games and 101 points and you seem to suggest his time here has been some sort of achievement.

Lambert reducing our yearly 50million wastage is a huge difference to the examples of managers sacked under Ellis. Reducing costs was sensible as that was obscene waste, and if you consider that we were losing 50mil a year the annual change to the investment into the playing staff has likely been negative or near to negative under Lambert. That was clearly needed an clearly part of Lambert's job, hence why Lerner would be a dick to blame him and sack him.

If you want a reason for a club to stand still, that's as good as it gets imo.

Clearly we need to sort out this goal scoring though. As this is a new problem, I believe it can be fixed, just like, say, the defence that's been fixed

The problem will be, solving the goal scoring problem whilst still maintaining the solid defence.

It's not a coincidence that we're struggling to score but our defence has improved. The signings have helped the defence, but this season has very much been a shift to a more defensive approach.

We're not as defensive as FEY tries to make it seem, but it is a definite switch to a MORE defensive approach.

In previous seasons, whilst we weren't exactly prolific, we at least looked a threat in most games. But the problem was we had to score 2 or 3 goals a game to win, because our defence was so poor.

The move to correct that has been deliberate, and not just as a result of signings, although that's obviously helped and is probably the overriding factor.

Lambert's challenge now, if he stays, is to build on that solid defence and add goals back into the team without sacrificing the defence. If we can do that, and it's a big if, we might actually turn into a decent side.

• Like 1

Retain our status

98 games and 101 points and you seem to suggest his time here has been some sort of achievement.

But if you take in the bigger picture of the finances you'll see we're getting exactly what our level of investment deserves. In fact, we may be doing a lot better. PLENTY of other managers, imo, would have had us relegated. Edited by praisedmambo
  • Like 1

Yes on the face of it, he is doing pretty much as is expected given the investment levels.  However, if you actually look at our squad and the team he has assembled then simply we are awful.  Lambert deserves credit for building a good squad on such a budget.  However, his downfall is his management, coaching and tactics.  He should be getting more out of the players.  Simple. 

• Like 2

Retain our status

But if you take in the bigger picture of the finances you'll see we're getting exactly what our level of investment deserves.

I don't agree. I don't think going backwards is acceptable even with the finances. He's had 3 years and while not a fortune to spend he's been able to bring in good players. He also had decent players in the squad when he arrived.

If he can't improve, or stand still because at the moment we're heading backwards, then I see little point keeping him. Especially as more and more of the fan base turn as each game passes.

Retaining our status given all that? Yes an achievement

Surprised bigger teams don't want him given this obvious achievement.

Yes on the face of it, he is doing pretty much as is expected given the investment levels. However, if you actually look at our squad and the team he has assembled then simply we are awful. Lambert deserves credit for building a good squad on such a budget. However, his downfall is his management, coaching and tactics. He should be getting more out of the players. Simple.

It drives me mad when our attackers lose the ball. I genuinely think they're a little out of their depth...I'd argue that you can't pull a rabbit out of the hat unless there's one already in the hat. That comes down to personnel, not coaching or tactics.

I have a theory with gabby, Andi and N'Zogbia that they're 10% players...10% of the time one of them gets something right. It's like the planets aligning when they all hit their 10% moments together, and maybe if we're lucky they'll have a shot. We've relied on these guys into our third season now, and it's time for something new...but that requires money. Gil looks a good start

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30890012

Who would do better given the current inertia ......

You'll always get a more rational view from those who don't support the club because they're not "involved".  I said earlier, most non-Villa fans think Lambert is doing a reasonable job (granted, before this recent run of 6 games).

Both sides of the argument are correct in my opinion.  We're massively stifled financially but it's also hard to imagine us doing much worse than right now.

We're currently going backwards in goals scored but forwards defensively, conceding fewer goals. We're more solid this season than ever before and funnily enough most of our investment has one on the defence. He's also in tha time saved the club a rediculous amount of money, money that was being wasted on players who didn't deserve to bleed the club dry. We've gone forwards in many respects. We must sort the attack out now, of course, but it's way too simplistic to say 'we've gone backwards therefore sack him'

Yes on the face of it, he is doing pretty much as is expected given the investment levels. However, if you actually look at our squad and the team he has assembled then simply we are awful. Lambert deserves credit for building a good squad on such a budget. However, his downfall is his management, coaching and tactics. He should be getting more out of the players. Simple.

It drives me mad when our attackers lose the ball. I genuinely think they're a little out of their depth...I'd argue that you can't pull a rabbit out of the hat unless there's one already in the hat. That comes down to personnel, not coaching or tactics.

I have a theory with gabby, Andi and N'Zogbia that they're 10% players...10% of the time one of them gets something right. It's like the planets aligning when they all hit their 10% moments together, and maybe if we're lucky they'll have a shot. We've relied on these guys into our third season now, and it's time for something new...but that requires money. Gil looks a good start

So Gabby and Andi are 10% players and it's time for something new. Perhaps you had better have a word with Mr Lambert because the numpty gave them both an extended contract.

So Gabby and Andi are 10% players and it's time for something new. Perhaps you had better have a word with Mr Lambert because the numpty gave them both an extended contract.

You still need forwards.  If we let Gabby and Andi go for nothing, would we replace them well?  I doubt he'd be backed enough.  It's a huge shame, really is.

We're currently going backwards in goals scored but forwards defensively, conceding fewer goals. We're more solid this season than ever before and funnily enough most of our investment has one on the defence. He's also in tha time saved the club a rediculous amount of money, money that was being wasted on players who didn't deserve to bleed the club dry. We've gone forwards in many respects. We must sort the attack out now, of course, but it's way too simplistic to say 'we've gone backwards therefore sack him'

But the things you say we've gone forward in have had no effect on results. Defence improves is a forward step, the attack becomes the worst in the entire country and most top leagues in Europe is a massive step back.

42 points in his first year, 38 in the last and this years not looking great.

The last 18 games have been absolutely shocking in terms of points and goals scored and that's not just down to the fact he can't spend large amounts of money.

Â