Paul Lambert

limpid

We definitely don't create enough clear chances, it's all well and good quoting 14 shots per match etc but how many of those 14 came even close to being a goal?

We don't get in behind defences and it's rare a player goes through one on one.

I welcome the change in style and the additional possession and can accept that it will take time for the players to learn how to be more creative but if we don't make it work over the next couple of months we could end up in a battle again at which point I think I'd rather take our chances with the previous option of hit n hope counter attack football

I agree with most of this, to change style midway through a season in the toughest league in the World is bound to cause some creaking and groaning for a good while, add into the mix all the sendings off and injuries and its no surprise we are taking time to adapt. 

However i'm a great believer in building a team from the back and to be fair that bit is not far off finally. Now a bit of tweeking, a settled team and one or two additions in the window and for me we are at last headed in the right direction. Although we are clearly in the frustrating stage of the process at the moment!

We need to get that side settled though and player(s) in to challenge the likes of Weimann & Gabby as they are way too comfortable and it shows.

Sinclair is interesting though he would surely need time to get up to speed. 

• Like 2

we all perhaps/possibly agree :

Benteke, Okore,Sanchez are our standout players

Cleverly has just arrived from Man U/ and been playing for England

Vlaar had a decent world cup and is fancied by many fans

Delph has been ok for England

Guzan is an international and a steady keeper

Hutton has been playing much better

.....so why are we so bloody poor, IF thats the case?

• Like 1

We definitely don't create enough clear chances, it's all well and good quoting 14 shots per match etc but how many of those 14 came even close to being a goal?

I welcome the change in style and the additional possession and can accept that it will take time for the players to learn how to be more creative but if we don't make it work over the next couple of months we could end up in a battle again at which point I think I'd rather take our chances with the previous option of hit n hope counter attack football

I agree with most of this, to change style midway through a season in the toughest league in the World is bound to cause some creaking and groaning for a good while, add into the mix all the sendings off and injuries and its no surprise we are taking time to adapt. 

However i'm a great believer in building a team from the back and to be fair that bit is not far off finally. Now a bit of tweeking, a settled team and one or two additions in the window and for me we are at last headed in the right direction. Although we are clearly in the frustrating stage of the process at the moment!

We need to get that side settled though and player(s) in to challenge the likes of Weimann & Gabby as they are way too comfortable and it shows.

Only when we start attacking with any consistency, will we know if the defence is fixed or not....right now too many players are defending.

• Like 3

Only when we start attacking with any consistency, will we know if the defence is fixed or not....right now too many players are defending.

Good point Tro, I have to say though i really like Guzan, Hutton, Okore, Cissokho, Clark and Baker are definately improved and Senderos was doing okay also. Vlaar of course is liable to depart but then he's injured 40% of the season anyhow so may not be a bad thing if it means we get that consistency in the back four back. We are always capable of a mad moment at the back for sure but with Sanchez now also coming very good i think we're looking fine back there.. certainly top 8 anyhow... its the rest who concern me.

Well those are all defensive players. And our defense is one of the least scored on in the league..you see....

Well, Vlaar has hardly played.

Delph has also had a lot of time out injured

Sanchez has been very good for the past couple of games but took a long time to settle. He was pretty pants before that (although still showed signs he was going to be decent)

Okore again has only featured recently.

Cleverley might have played for United and England, but he really isn't that great.

I'm not saying it shouldn't have been better, but it's not like we've had all those players available and firing on all cylinders all season.

And as mentioned above, a lot of those players you mentioned are defensive, and our defence has actually been quite good.

It's a lack of creativity going forward that is our problem, and has been for a while.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

"After the East Midlands trip Villa have a tough run of fixtures against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea however there’s a feeling in the camp that those are the type of games that will suit the new style."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-players-enjoying-paul-8385227?ICID=FB-Birm-avfc

Pretty much what a lot on here said about those 'impossible' games at the beginning of the season.. Yet we went in to sit back and defend!

It is the bit you do not mention, Tro, because we do not have any standout players there.

Agbonlahor, Weimann, Nzogbia, that is the problem area, no creativity.

Cannot see much changing until we address that problem area.

• Like 1

It's not that they're impossible (we beat Liverpool and got a point from United this season), but people were saying that we shouldn't be up in arms because we lost to them. The fact that we faced 6 of them in 7 games (lost to 5, beat 1) skewed what was a decent start to the season. If those fixtures were spaced out things would have looked better despite having the same results. This time around it's only half as bad with 3 of them in a row :D .

Edited by Keyblade

I'm not convinced the new way will work against the big teams, I think it would be a bit naive to think we can out play teams like chelsea and Arsenal at possession football. Everyone is beatable, but not like that I don't think.

I'm happy to see the same style against Leicester though. I just pray we try and be a bit more dynamic going forward and get some movement going to create chances.

Leicester will come at us (they need to they need the points and this in effect is a 6 pointer). They won't sit back. So either way depends on which Villa turns up. I hope it's the one that has some urgency in the approach play. 

havent read the last couple of pages yet but all the fans in the mail over last couple of days saying it isnt lamberts fault as his hands are tied for wages and transfer fees, wait till we get schooled by bournemouth at home by players on less wages who cost less.

its a myth about the wages and fees when the whistle blows, its about giving people the direction or opportunity to play good football. lambert thinks tactics are a brand of breath mint

havent read the last couple of pages yet but all the fans in the mail over last couple of days saying it isnt lamberts fault as his hands are tied for wages and transfer fees, wait till we get schooled by bournemouth at home by players on less wages who cost less.

its a myth about the wages and fees when the whistle blows, its about giving people the direction or opportunity to play good football. lambert thinks tactics are a brand of breath mint

Hey there, you don't happen to have the National Lottery numbers for tomorrows draw, do ya?

See, what you've done there is nothing more than what is your interpretation of events in the future you think may happen.

I like to hedge my bets by saying "against Bournemouth we could win, lose or draw" - then I've covered all three eventualities. 

That said, I bet you haven't put money on your prediction, but if you did, you'd stand to win considerably more than what you'd initially laid out.

• Like 2

One thing I don't get is why the sudden change by Lambert after so many years?  Is it because Sanchez is now in the team?

Well it could be any number of things couldn't it? 

It could be that he see's us as being relatively safe this year, so is using this season as a good platform to get us to change our philosophy. 

Or it could be that he's seen us play enough games sat very deep, trying to hit teams on the break, only for it not to work and not really have a plan B - so he's trying to give us another way of playing.

Or it could be he's been under pressure from the fans that a lack of progression is seen as a bad thing, so wants to give the fans what they want.

After 2 and a half years though? It's a pretty big change. A change that I think will take at least 2 or 3 months to be effective. A good change I agree but it just seems to have come out of the blue. 

After 2 and a half years though? It's a pretty big change. A change that I think will take at least 2 or 3 months to be effective. A good change I agree but it just seems to have come out of the blue. 

I think the change has been season long, but two stages.

First stage seemed to be to imrpove the defence, and then build from there by implementing a passing game.

Why he chose now to go from defensive counter attacking to possession, I don't know. My guess would be the favourable fixtures we've had recently. Maybe he felt it best to weather our hard run and then attack the passing?

Whether this has been his plan all along, who knows?

What does it being after 2 and a half years have to do with anything?  Would you rather wait until 4 years?  Would 2 months have been better?

Â