Paul Lambert

limpid

I can't fault him really.

I would just say, and this is with complete hindsight because I agreed at the time. But the change in formation at half time did us no favours.

I also like the idea of keeping the ball more from goal kicks but after going down to 10 men I think we should have cut that out early doors.

I don't think Lambert's the right man, I think we'll be on course for little improvement after 19 games but can't really criticise him for the game today.

• Like 2

Think the subs were completley wrong, they were more of a threat on the wings, bringing on vlaar seemed to confuse the back line and gave the team NO shape what so ever, moving a centre back who hadnt done nothing wrong out to left back in place of someone who was defensively strong seems tome like he just wanted to get vlaar on the pitch any way he could but at the detrement of th tea.

Cleverly and agbonlahor should have come off for weiman and grealish. We needed a goal, the defence were doing fine dont think wba threatened much and after the goal they were never gonna try for the second. Clarke/okore looked lke they didnt know where to play, okore in the space of 5 mins was right back, centre back, leff back and then midfield. His starting 11 leaves us hoping to a goal or hang on, he needs to take a risk, trust the defence (which on the hole is solid) but atleast give them something to fight for, creativity is something we are not set up for, doesnt really play any of our midfielders in the position to, 1 of the 3 needs to be told to play higher up.

The mans tactical nouse is shocking, benteke is our biggest assist but we dont play to his strengths, he needs 2 things to be effective 1 - players running off him, both creates space for him to do something or play some one in - n'zog and gabby just dont do it and 2 - crosses, we dont cross and when we do it doesnt beat the first player.

• Like 1

You do wonder just how shit we would have to be for some people to stop defending him. He is simply not good enough for Aston Villa.

I think we would have to get relegated several times for some people.

I've been there with Villa in the early seventies. Even then things didn't feel this bad. We had a belief that the club would get it right eventually. I have no such feeling with this guy. He's a loser, get rid now.

• Like 1

I would just say, and this is with complete hindsight because I agreed at the time. But the change in formation at half time did us no favours.

I also like the idea of keeping the ball more from goal kicks but after going down to 10 men I think we should have cut that out early doors.

I don't think Lambert's the right man, I think we'll be on course for little improvement after 19 games but can't really criticise him for the game today.

Fair and balanced. Good post. On the keeping the ball thing. I agree to some extent. I don't think switching to straight hoofing is smart either though. They should have mixed it up a bit instead.

Yeah can't really blame him for this. Say it quietly, but he may actually have a run of games with Vlaar, Okore, Benteke, Sanchez and Delph all fit at the same time. Shame about Westwood though. It's just so annoying after a nice 5 game run it ends when it probably needn't.

That double substitution was an absolute master stroke. One goal down, nothing to lose, so he brings on a centre half and a forward who's a waste of space.

He brought on an additional centre half for stability which allowed us to push forward. I'll agree about Weimann but that goes into a whole other discussion. What other options did he really have?

He planned to give Vlaar and Weimann a run before the game, an he just stuck with it. It looked like to me again he had no idea what to do after Richardson got sent off. We could have pushed forward for 30 minutes to force a goal, (WE HAD BENTEKE) then sat back and defended. He is so negative sometimes. Teams win, don't concede with ten men, you just have to adjust tactics something Lambert didn't do.......................................again!!!

• Like 3

While Lambert is in charge we will just lumber along doing nothing at all. We are the joint lowest scorers in the league with 10 goals. Absolutely pathetic. Not scoring goals equals not winning games equals really struggling.

Wake up and smell the coffee some of you!

• Like 2

The one thing keeping the ball from goal kicks does when you're down to 10 men, though, is retain possession and give people a break from chasing play.  70 minutes is a long time to be in a game with reduced personnel.  Sometimes the players were under too much pressure immediately and the ball should have gone long - but it's not always a bad thing to just hold on to the ball for those extra 10/20 seconds or so.

That double substitution was an absolute master stroke. One goal down, nothing to lose, so he brings on a centre half and a forward who's a waste of space.

He brought on an additional centre half for stability which allowed us to push forward. I'll agree about Weimann but that goes into a whole other discussion. What other options did he really have?

He planned to give Vlaar and Weimann a run before the game, an he just stuck with it. It looked like to me again he had no idea what to do after Richardson got sent off. We could have pushed forward for 30 minutes to force a goal, (WE HAD BENTEKE) then sat back and defended. He is so negative sometimes. Teams win, don't concede with ten men, you just have to adjust tactics something Lambert didn't do.......................................again!!!

How do you know he planned to give them a runout? Benteke was awful today, partially because he lacked service but lack of service doesn't mean you have to miss the chances you do get and wander offside numerous times.

I'll agree, he is often negative in some cases. I'd assume the plan was for us to catch them on the break in the second half as they offered very little going forward. This rarely works for us though and needs to change.

While Lambert is in charge we will just lumber along doing nothing at all. We are the joint lowest scorers in the league with 10 goals. Absolutely pathetic. Not scoring goals equals not winning games equals really struggling.

I genuinely don't think we're "really struggling" at all.  We're not playing the most appealing football and we're definitely struggling to score goals (although having Benteke back makes a difference) but there's worse teams in the league than us.

For today, I don't think we did much wrong at all.  Richardson cost us.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

Albion, not won a game for ages and then along come Lambert's Villa to sort it out for them. This guy has broken every horrible record we didn't want broken and we are guaranteed to ease the pain for the opposition because he is just clueless.

I genuinely don't think we're "really struggling" at all.  We're not playing the most appealing football and we're definitely struggling to score goals (although having Benteke back makes a difference) but there's worse teams in the league than us.

For today, I don't think we did much wrong at all.  Richardson cost us.

Don't you think with 10 men today we should have played to Benteke's strengths and forced a goal. The last 10 minutes of play when we actually attacked we looked dangerous, so did benteke. 30 minutes of attacking intent and we would have won that game, at least not lost 10 or 11 men. Lambert bottled it and was happy with the draw, although it didn't work out, yet again.

• Like 1

Can't blame Lambert for today, yes he could have got them pushing further up the pitch and could have tried playing a little more expansively a little earlier, but alot of that is hindsight. I guess the idea was to keep it tight and then try and nick it but having only 10 men was always going to make it hard. There is a vast difference from having a player sent off in the 20th minute than the 80th as to how you approach the game.

A shame really as WBA are shit and I'm pretty certain we would have got something from the game with 11 players on the pitch.

Sanchez looks to me like a very good buy. The defence looks a lot better, especially with Okore and Clark playing really well. Our attacking play is of course horrific and if Benteke doesn't turn up we really don't come close to being a goal threat. It was difficult today because of Richardson's stupidity.

Can't really blame him for today's match but putting Vlaar on was a strange decision IMO. Clark at left back instead of Cissokho? Although N'Zogbia didn't do anything wrong today you must question his judgement in playing him when he's been consistently crap.

We're still very much in a relegation scrap like we've been his whole time here. Five points from the relegation places with Man Utd up next. Not great.

Edited by bose
  • Like 1

Â