Paul Lambert

limpid

I like most people arent enjoying the football that we are serving up and that is a big problem for the club if it contnues for the rest of this season, but if Lambert can get to 22 - 24 points at the midway point then he will deserve to get the second half of the season to try and improve the quality of the football while at least maintaining the results.

The main concern I have is when we hit a patch like we did after the first 4 games and last season after we beat Chelsea he doesnt appear to know how to stop the defeats and if we encounter another run later in the season that might just be enough to send us down.

Sometimes just giving the manager more time isnt the answer, yes stability is something the club should strive for and lets be honest stability when the owner wants to sell and has made a complete bloody mess of it by announcing to the world his intentions, allied with a CEO who buggered off 2 days after a big unity speech from the owner and the manager who has to his credit stuck by the club when he may have felt sod it is never going to be easy but something needs to change. Hopefully the owner will be gone because he is without doubt the biggest threat to our future that exists at the club at the moment.

• Like 2

I like most people arent enjoying the football that we are serving up and that is a big problem for the club if it contnues for the rest of this season, but if Lambert can get to 22 - 24 points at the midway point then he will deserve to get the second half of the season to try and improve the quality of the football while at least maintaining the results.

The main concern I have is when we hit a patch like we did after the first 4 games and last season after we beat Chelsea he doesnt appear to know how to stop the defeats and if we encounter another run later in the season that might just be enough to send us down.

Sometimes just giving the manager more time isnt the answer, yes stability is something the club should strive for and lets be honest stability when the owner wants to sell and has made a complete bloody mess of it by announcing to the world his intentions, allied with a CEO who buggered off 2 days after a big unity speech from the owner and the manager who has to his credit stuck by the club when he may have felt sod it is never going to be easy but something needs to change. Hopefully the owner will be gone because he is without doubt the biggest threat to our future that exists at the club at the moment.

That is my concern too, but I think Lambert has realised that flaw in his squad. You need experienced heads in those situations. A shut out and a 0-0 is a way to stop the slide and then build on that to get the team out of a slump. It's exactly what the team has done in the past 4 games. Hopefully the experience will do us good if we encounter 3 loses on the trot at some point in the future. 

I believe this team are solid mid table team. If Lambert can get us there I'll be happy. Anything like 47 points and 13th is me happy.

Probably wouldn't say happy. I'd be fairly content with that and say lambert had done a decent job this year.

Then hopefully we have a takeover and can start looking forward to more positive things.

I still believe that a takeover should be the trigger for a new manager. Hopefully someone like Moyes to take over. But while Lerner is still here I'm happy to stick with Lambert given my performance targets of 47 points

Missed this before.

Yeah I agree, for everyone we need a whole new change this summer.

Don't see it happening though.

This weekend is a massive game for Lambert. If we win then we can well and put truly behind us the bad run of defeats and be relatively comfortable in mid-table for the rest of the season. I also think it sets us up for the games over Xmas and into January where we traditionally have a slump playing against top teams. Until mid-Jan, the only 2 games to be "concerned" about are Man Utd and Swansea. Man Utd coming to Villa Park is a free swing as we never get anything from that, and Swansea shouldn't scare us, we've got results against them in the past.

Also, if you look at our results so far this season, the only game where we have lost to someone outside the top 6 is the QPR game, where we had alot more possession than normal but just couldn't create. Other than that, Lambert has done a very good job in making us very solid, if not exciting.

If we can get 3 points on Saturday, I would say we probably need another 3 wins from the next 6 games before we play Liverpool on 17th Jan (that would put us on 28 points at least), as we then have Arsenal, Chelsea - and after those 3 games our confidence might be shot again. We then have a decent enough run of fixtures from Feb - April where we can hopefully pick us enough points to see us safe (or at least close to safe) before we play Man Utd on 6th April, as we then have quite a difficult run in and I would want us to be close to the bottom 3 then.

If we don't win this weekend (or worse lose) then I would be a bit worried about the Xmas run, as if we don't pick enough points up, those games against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea might be games we need to get something from, and then I don't think Lambert will survive.

We did have a bad run of fixtures, but I think the fixtures fall quite nicely for the rest of the season, but we need a win against Leicester. A good performance would be a great, but 3 points is a must. I don't want to go over the top, but this weekend could shape the season for us, and Lambert.

Edited by GeordieVillan
  • Like 1

When new owners come in they will have their own vision on how to take the club forward which will likely mean they'll get their man in to Manage the team. Look at Chelsea or City, new owner got rid of manager after a season and got their own man in. I'm fine with that because the new owners are of far more importance than the specifics of the manager. 

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

Yes but there are people with entrenched opinions on both sides. If we lose our next ten games, we all know that you'll still be backing him and sticking to your claim that he is our best manager in the last thirty years. For some reason, the narrative seems to be that if you are supportive of the manager then you are automatically a rational and open-minded individual whereas if your are against him then ergo you are the complete opposite.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

All I am saying is I am not sure our fans would be prepared to change their opinion on Lambert like wet spam and barcodes fans have done for their manager

Yes but there are people with entrenched opinions on both sides. If we lose our next ten games, we all know that you'll still be backing him and sticking to your claim that he is our best manager in the last thirty years. For some reason, the narrative seems to be that if you are supportive of the manager then you are automatically a rational and open-minded individual whereas if your are against him then ergo you are the complete opposite.

Yeah I get that impression as well. I think both sides offer balanced arguments as well as the moments of extremes for the sake of an argument.

Thing is though people mistake a clean sheet for a solid defence

There were two specific occasions I can recall last night where they had 3/4 attackers bearing down on 1/2 defenders, we were just lucky that they had frazier Campbell on the pitch with his heavy touches otherwise we'd have conceded at least one

This is not the basis of a solid defence, not imo

There were two specific occasions I can recall last night where they had 3/4 attackers bearing down on 1/2 defenders, we were just lucky that they had frazier Campbell on the pitch with his heavy touches otherwise we'd have conceded at least one

Disagree with this. Our defence is solid - the statistics show that. The best defences often rely on last ditch tackles and top class goalkeeping saves. 

Unfortunately, the price of our defence being solid is that we score very few goals.

Lambert has set us up so our midfield gives excellent cover to our defence. Unfortunately this means our midfielders rarely get beyond our strikers or into the opposition box, which probably also explains why we are so bad at retaining possession when attacking.

But I think this is conscious decision which Lambert has made, rightly or wrongly.

how many saves did Guzan have to make, not many

And this cannot be our plan for survival. Even though Lambert seems to think it will work?

We sit back and invite pressure far too easily. We cannot hold out against every team every week as we saw only to recently this season!

For fans who dont rate Lambert we are told that not many were complaining about him after the first four games but now we are told that after ending an horrendous run without a win that some of us have made our mind up about him and wont change.

To get me on side:

Finish 10th-12th

A good cup run (not knocked out to Accrington Stanley, 4-0 at home)

A playing style to take shape.

The one thing I don't care at all about is Cup runs. Seriously I don't care about them at all. Don't even watch Cup games. Pointless to me until we've stability in the league and upward progress.

I hope we get knocked out of the FA Cup early.

You won't be wanting a spare ticket if we get to a Final then?

yep, dont think i posted that as some sort of suggestion that he's doing a wonderful job!

and I've only got us down as getting 4, liverpool, palace, west ham, stoke, 50% of our away games we've got a clean sheet, 1 clean sheet in 7 home games...

Aside from Richard maybe, that's very wide of the mark. 

The lines are drawn on "Lambert out now" vs "give Lambert the season". 

You'll find very few people who will support him if we are in the relegation zone in Feb or March. I'll want rid if that happens with the players he has available and have stated as much. 

• Like 1

That's a weird stat

If that stat is true then I bet there is a stat on the internet showing that Hilter was good for the Jews?

Just shows how much meaningless tripe there is in the www.

Or it just doesn't back up you constantly stating how rubbish we are?
  • Like 1

Â