Paul Lambert

limpid

Not sure it was well deserved and i don't agree the progress is there.

It might start to show but todays game was no different to what i saw in his first season and last season.

The thing that we're (finally) doing is taking points off the teams around us.  The performances aren't pretty - and you'd hope we'd be at least a bit better on the ball by now - but only QPR have beaten us outside of the top 6 teams from last season.  Defensively, we look pretty good across the board and that's taking into account all the injury problems we've had.

You'd hope with Benteke back that we'll start to score more goals.  It's worrying how reliant we are on him, though, and hopefully we'll look to buy a proper attacking midfielder in January... if we have anything to spend at all.

Defensively we've looked much better and we look more difficult to beat.  But the way we play is just awful at the moment.  I know we've had injuries and financial constraints but I just don't see any improvement in that part of things from the days of mcleish.  

We really shouldn't rely on benteke as much as we do and lets face it, the chances are slim that he will be here next year.  

It might start to show but todays game was no different to what i saw in his first season and last season.

Of course there's progress. We've gone from losing 6 in a row and scoring 1 to getting 3 draws and a win and scoring 3. Obviously, the latter isn't much to shout about but it's progress nonetheless.

I guess it's how you choose to judge progress. 

If you want to just judge on the recent run of games then yes things have improved.

I'm looking at his whole time at the club and I don't think we've improved from that first season.  We may end up doing so but right now i think we're a very similar team in terms of performance and results.

That's assuming Lambert was talking about progress during his whole time here, which I don't think he was.

Win against Leicester and we will have taken 9 points from 5 games and I can see us coming out with the intention of putting on a good performance for the home fans.  We are doing a good job of picking up points from the teams around us and have steadied the ship despite missing alot of key players.  It's hard to watch but I can understand why Lambert has us playing this way. Unbeaten in 4 and moving up the table.  :D

Of course there's progress. We've gone from losing 6 in a row and scoring 1 to getting 3 draws and a win and scoring 3. Obviously, the latter isn't much to shout about but it's progress nonetheless.

I guess it's how you choose to judge progress. 

If you want to just judge on the recent run of games then yes things have improved.

I'm looking at his whole time at the club and I don't think we've improved from that first season.  We may end up doing so but right now i think we're a very similar team in terms of performance and results.

That's assuming Lambert was talking about progress during his whole time here, which I don't think he was.

Yeah he probably wasn't.

Just when i see him talk about progress i think about his whole time at the club. 

Much more progress like this and I think I'll top myself.

Win against Leicester and we will have taken 9 points from 5 games and I can see us coming out with the intention of putting on a good performance for the home fans.  We are doing a good job of picking up points from the teams around us and have steadied the ship despite missing alot of key players.  It's hard to watch but I can understand why Lambert has us playing this way. Unbeaten in 4 and moving up the table.  :D

Does he have us playing this way or is he not capable of having us play better?

I'm not so sure we play entirely this way through choice.

He's not the best man for the job but like the players, he's good enough for our situation, which unfortunately is to survive year after year until the club is sold off to someone more keen in running the club. With what we have I think we'll survive.

• Like 1

The thing that we're (finally) doing is taking points off the teams around us.  The performances aren't pretty - and you'd hope we'd be at least a bit better on the ball by now - but only QPR have beaten us outside of the top 6 teams from last season.  Defensively, we look pretty good across the board and that's taking into account all the injury problems we've had.

You'd hope with Benteke back that we'll start to score more goals.  It's worrying how reliant we are on him, though, and hopefully we'll look to buy a proper attacking midfielder in January... if we have anything to spend at all.

Defensively we've looked much better and we look more difficult to beat.  But the way we play is just awful at the moment.  I know we've had injuries and financial constraints but I just don't see any improvement in that part of things from the days of mcleish.  

We really shouldn't rely on benteke as much as we do and lets face it, the chances are slim that he will be here next year.  

Agreed - although, should Benteke go, what price do we get for him?  Can it all be put back into the team?  That's where you start to build from, really.

The way we play is having a solid defence.  There's nothing wrong with that but, when we're on the ball, we just don't seem to do enough.  The first half today was ok but too much sideways stuff in midfield/defence.  I think only Westwood attempted to play anything like a through ball - and that was cut out.  It's not entertaining football though, it's just effective football.

We haven't conceeded a goal in the first 80 minutes for 5 games now.  Against Spurs, they came after Benteke's sending off.  Against Southampton, Gabby switched off and let Clyne in.  Against Burnley, Okore switched off and let whoever the Burnley player was get the wrong side of him.  As a basis, that's pretty **** solid.

If only we could manage to score twice in a game, we'd do well imo.

I just said it in the benteke thread.

What does happen? I can't see lerner fully reinvesting and realistically we're not going to unearth another benteke.  Also the benteke money will need to go towards replacing delph and vlaar as well.

I agree with you about our defence and not conceding as many now.  But then on the other side we haven't scored a second half goal for 12 games and haven't scored in both halves since january.

We need to find a balance.

Agreed - although, should Benteke go, what price do we get for him?  Can it all be put back into the team?  That's where you start to build from, really.

The way we play is having a solid defence.  There's nothing wrong with that but, when we're on the ball, we just don't seem to do enough.  The first half today was ok but too much sideways stuff in midfield/defence.  I think only Westwood attempted to play anything like a through ball - and that was cut out.  It's not entertaining football though, it's just effective football.

We haven't conceeded a goal in the first 80 minutes for 5 games now.  Against Spurs, they came after Benteke's sending off.  Against Southampton, Gabby switched off and let Clyne in.  Against Burnley, Okore switched off and let whoever the Burnley player was get the wrong side of him.  As a basis, that's pretty **** solid.

Disagree.

We only got a result today due to an opposition mistake, individual brilliance and hugely poor finishing on their part. I can barely remember us having the ball in their half let alone threatening, certainly not what I'd call effective football.  

• Like 1

You lose credibility with a stat like that. There is nothing good about it!!

We can all thank Benteke for the win, ohh and Mr warnock ofcourse for his ineffective strike force!

Edited by foreveryoung

He's not the best man for the job but like the players, he's good enough for our situation, which unfortunately is to survive year after year until the club is sold off to someone more keen in running the club. With what we have I think we'll survive.

Yes its a keeping the lights on job.

Lerner has put the club up for sale and we haven't been bought so nothing will change. Id love us to go out play lovely football and buy quality players but thats not going to happen.

With the squad/players we have we wont stay up playing lovely football week in week out and staying up is all Lerner cares about.

So is the club definitely still up for sale then?

Heard from a few people that he'd withdrawn us from the market?

It needs to be up for sale or Lerner needs to fund the team.  If neither happens, we're going to continue to struggle.

... getting 3 draws and a win and scoring 3. Obviously, the latter isn't much to shout about but it's progress nonetheless.

It is if you're Lambert: We are unbeaten in four and have won at a difficult place. Coming here [and winning] was a massive result, but I thought it was well deserved. ...

Almost all managers put positive spins on their victories in press conferences. I see nothing unusual there.

Â