Paul Lambert

limpid

It'll be great to see what another manager can do with this team. We do have pace and good attacking intent. Obviously Lambert has no faith in the team and refuses to use the team to there full potential. I feel its gonna be to late soon as the team will get to used to be a defensive unit. To me, we are a midtable team all day long..

Agree with you about Lambert's inability to get the best out of the team but, unless 7/8 really poor clubs come along, we are never mid-table.

That Bent sub :crylaugh:

What in the flying piss is he doing? Did you see that little ball down the left hand side of the area that Bent tried to run onto? He can hardly move. I want to know what he shows in training to be coming on ahead of ever other player bar on that bench bar Given. Any of them would have been more useful.

We got a point after our striker ran onto a clearance and the opposition keeper made an error. I hope to see some ambition against Burnley in the battle for 19th.

Sanchez needed to come off.

Lambert didn't want to bring an attacking midfielder on.

Best option was to drop gabby back because of his energy and lack of opportunity up front.

We needed to out a striker on as a result.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but why the **** is everyone struggling with the concept?

10 mins to go, 1 nil up when you are struggling to get points.

You shut up shop (although we barely open ours).

We did not NEED to bring another striker on at all.

Edited by andyh

As stevo said last night, the sub was for gabby to drop into midfield and do the running about. It nearly work too, if weimann scores that chance its 2-0 & no one talks about the sub.

Cant wait until delph and benteke get back, at the very least in January we need a midfielder who does more than run about.

• Like 1

Why? Bacuna isn't defensive and is possibly the only player on the bench we could have brought on who would have made our ability in possession even worse

No - Bent was. 

Trying to defend that substitution is laughable, tbh. It was a total distatster not least for the fact it was Gabby who didn't track Clyne's run for the goal. 

But I guess one could go 100% hipster and claim Southampton were scoring anyway, and Lambert, being the genius that he is, anticipated that and brought Bent on so that Villa could push for the win in the final minutes of the game. Sounds about as logical as anything that's written defending that horrific sub. 

That Bent sub :crylaugh:

What in the flying piss is he doing? Did you see that little ball down the left hand side of the area that Bent tried to run onto? He can hardly move. I want to know what he shows in training to be coming on ahead of ever other player bar on that bench bar Given. Any of them would have been more useful.

We got a point after our striker ran onto a clearance and the opposition keeper made an error. I hope to see some ambition against Burnley in the battle for 19th.

Sanchez needed to come off.

Lambert didn't want to bring an attacking midfielder on.

Best option was to drop gabby back because of his energy and lack of opportunity up front.

We needed to out a striker on as a result.

I'm not sure it was the right thing to do, but why the **** is everyone struggling with the concept?

Because surely bringing on Bacuna for Sanchez is better than bringing Bent on?
Why? Bacuna isn't defensive and is possibly the only player on the bench we could have brought on who would have made our ability in possession even worse

Because Bent was so bad and has looked so bad for such a long time we'd have been better off doing the same thing but bringing almost anyone else on to play the same position. It was nonsense.

Tactically I got it at the time, but that doesn't excuse that it was a terrible decision.

• Like 1

We should have 5 or more points from the past 3 games if Benteke hasn't got sent off at Spurs. Not to mention an injury ravaged squad.

We've Burnley, Palace & Leicester next 3 games.

And if west ham had taken their chances and the keeper last night not made an error we'd have lost both games. There's always things you can point at and say if.

The end result is 12 points from 12 games and a performance last night, that was no different to the unacceptable rubbish that McLeish produced 3 years ago.

except the Bent sub you cant criticise his performance that much. People were expecting Southampton to absolutely destroy us, just look at pre-match thread so deserves some credit for getting his tactics right mostly

needs keep back 4 together for weekend

• Like 3

Would be quite interesting to see what it would take for some on here to stop with the constant negativity. No, we didn't play great but we got a hard earned point against a team currently much better than we are.

Looking at the here and now I can't quite grasp the reactions from last night.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

Ok, Bent was a weird sub, but he did it to change the shape. Kozak would have been good in that situation but he's broken.

Who knows, if a chance like the Weimann chance fell to him he might have buried it. He obvisouly wouldn't have created it for himself like Weimann but still...

All in all, good point, if he'd have brought on Bacuna or Lowton and shut up shop completely and we'd have drawn anyway (or worse) then he'd have been crucified just the same. Personally if he wanted midfield unmbers and go to one up top, I'd have left Weimann up there and brought on Grealish or Cole and try and keep the ball a bit.

Still though, good point, we were written off before the game (by me too ;) ) so it was good to get something out of it. With Betneke back hopefully now we'll get on a bit of a march up the table again.

• Like 1

Ok, Bent was a weird sub, but he did it to change the shape. Kozak would have been good in that situation but he's broken.

Who knows, if a chance like the Weimann chance fell to him he might have buried it. He obvisouly wouldn't have created it for himself like Weimann but still...

All in all, good point, if he'd have brought on Bacuna or Lowton and shut up shop completely and we'd have drawn anyway (or worse) then he'd have been crucified just the same. Personally if he wanted midfield unmbers and go to one up top, I'd have left Weimann up there and brought on Grealish or Cole and try and keep the ball a bit.

Still though, good point, we were written off before the game (by me too ;) ) so it was good to get something out of it. With Betneke back hopefully now we'll get on a bit of a march up the table again.

He would never have got in that position.

He would be blowing out his arse on the edge of the D.

except the Bent sub you cant criticise his performance that much. People were expecting Southampton to absolutely destroy us, just look at pre-match thread so deserves some credit for getting his tactics right mostly

his tactics have been pretty much the same, personally I despise the style of play its all too negative. If we nick a goal early whether it's first or tenth minute that's it we stop going beyond the half way line and defend for 80+ minutes, it's no wonder we concede late goals. I'm also convinced we are the worst team at keeping the ball in the league, we wouldn't have to run like headless chickens constantly if we could string a few passes together and hold onto it for a while to atleast take the sting out of the game.
  • Like 1

his tactics have been pretty much the same, personally I despise the style of play its all too negative. If we nick a goal early whether it's first or tenth minute that's it we stop going beyond the half way line and defend for 80+ minutes, it's no wonder we concede late goals. I'm also convinced we are the worst team at keeping the ball in the league, we wouldn't have to run like headless chickens constantly if we could string a few passes together and hold onto it for a while to atleast take the sting out of the game.

I don't think it's the tactics, it's by a large a poor selection of players, with poor ability, and a poor mentality in regards to being winners.

I really don't understand some criticism. 

Spurs performance was brilliant, we should have won that game by 2 or more goals and we would have won but for Bentekes sending off. 

Then at West Ham it was stop the rot at all costs. We simply had to get a point from that game.

Then we have Southampton, who have won 9 or their past 10 games. We are missing loads of players and not a man on this site would not have taken a 1-1 before the match.

Yet, the moaning goes on and on... 

• Like 2

With Burnley (A), Palace (A), Leicester (H) and Albion (A) coming up in our next 4 fixtures we need to be taking at the very least 6 points (drawing the 3 away games and beating Leicester at home was my prediction made before the season started).

These are the teams, along with us, that are quite likely to be involved at the s**t end of the table for the remainder of the season and we cannot afford to turn in performances and results like we have over the last 8 games.

Your devotion for Lambert seems to hold no boundries, we are a boring defensive team under Lambert, losing crowds by the 10's of thousands but I guess its your opinion and your ofcourse entitled to it!

I'm not the slightest bit devoted to Lambert, except to say that he doesn't deserve the sack.

Sure we're a boring, defensive team under Lambert at the moment, but the two strikers he signed have only played about 60 games between them in three years. Ask Liverpool what life's like without your star striker and best player - and they've still got Sturridge and lots of cash.

My like function has been used up for today but this is a super post

I really don't understand some criticism. 

Spurs performance was brilliant, we should have won that game by 2 or more goals and we would have won but for Bentekes sending off. 

Then at West Ham it was stop the rot at all costs. We simply had to get a point from that game.

Then we have Southampton, who have won 9 or their past 10 games. We are missing loads of players and not a man on this site would not have taken a 1-1 before the match.

Yet, the moaning goes on and on... 

Top post mate. :thumb:

Â