Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't want Lambert to be sacked. We had a great start to the season, then we had that horrid run of fixtures which (realistically) we were unlikely to get anything from. Ok the defeat to QPR was hard to swallow, but we were very unlucky against Spurs. Another decent run, we'll be midtable and everything will be rosy in the garden again.

I still cant get my head around us losing to both QPR and Spurs in those two games. Their performances were two of the worst I have ever seen us lose to. 

What that makes us is too depressing to think about.

I don't want Lambert to be sacked. We had a great start to the season, then we had that horrid run of fixtures which (realistically) we were unlikely to get anything from. Ok the defeat to QPR was hard to swallow, but we were very unlucky against Spurs. Another decent run, we'll be midtable and everything will be rosy in the garden again.

It has never been rosey in the garden under this muppet.

Edited by jim
  • Like 1

Spot on with this bit: "When you look at the individuals there, they are not producing anything near what they should be."

They're not world beaters, but they should be turning in MUCH better performances. We strike me as a team that, if we swapped out the manager and had a little luck, would be night and day within weeks

• Like 4

The biggest problem at the club isn't Lambert's management of it, its Randy's lack of investment in it.

The club has been in decline since 2009, long before Lambert's appointment, and unless we get some new investment we will continue to slide irrespective of whether Lambert is in the hot seat or not. UTV.

Hopefully we can replicate that style of play in the forthcoming games without Benteke.

I think we have conclusively seen over the past couple of years that we are utterly hopeless offensively without Benteke. There is next-to-no reason to believe that will suddenly change now.

I disagree. The Hull game (this season) I thought we were excellent offensively - attackers were swapping positions regularly, making good decisions with the ball and finding the intelligent runs made behind the opposition. It was very similar to Sunday, however we lacked the end product our play thoroughly deserved against Spurs. 

We need to continue with that approach throughout the season, it will more than likely bear fruit in terms of goal scored and matches won. UTV.

Vlaar, Benteke, Delph - all starters/ our most important players who have missed key matches. A spine if you will....

There have been other players who have had injuries too (Kozak would have taken Benteke's place for example). Hutton has been playing brilliantly and is injured now. Senderos was forming a good defence, and is injured now.

We then faced all the top 6 from last year in our last seven games. We beat Liverpool but lost to QPR. We were arguably robbed against Spurs. Unfortunately we also play two very in form teams in West Ham (5th) and Southampton (2nd) without Benteke or Delph.

The above is enough mitigating circumstances for me. No the games are awful, yes the talent we have is barely talent but I think largely that's down to investment. I think Lambert has made mistakes and will continue to do so but changing him will result in nothing more than perhaps the tiniest temporary jumps in performance that will dissipate quickly and result more players being chopped and changed for the worse. Bring in the likes of Pulis and we'll be setting our stall out for the next decade to be mediocre rather than trying to ride out this very very challenging time to possibly improve.

And that's the key word - I think we are slowly improving. Keane seems to have had a positive impact, we had performed well at the start of the season and have just had some very bad luck with fixture lists and injuries. At the very worst he deserves til January when we will have faced teams we are more likely to be competing with.

Let's be honest - between the start of the season and the end of 2014 we would hope to seriously compete with:

Stoke - Beat them

Newcastle - Drew

Hull - Beat them

QPR - Lost

West Ham

Southampton

Burnley

Crystal Palace

Leicester

West Brom

Swansea

Sunderland

So for me he's got 7 points from 4 games so far. There are 8 to go, and if he kept up the ratio of two wins and a draw from every four matches I'd be ok with that for now! We'd nearly all realistically write-off games against last years top 6 and yet we're up three points (Liverpool) on that too. If he kept that ratio up without taking ANY points of last seasons top 6 we'd be in the mid/ late 40's come May.

Nope, the more I write the more I believe Lambert, despite being far from perfect, has had some bad luck as well as the well talked about lack of finances etc and deserves more time. We are/ were heading in the right direction and our fit, starting eleven is not bad all things considered.

Shhhh! Common sense is not allowed here!

• Like 2

Spot on with this bit: "When you look at the individuals there, they are not producing anything near what they should be."

They're not world beaters, but they should be turning in MUCH better performances. We strike me as a team that, if we swapped out the manager and had a little luck, would be night and day within weeks

If we kept Lambert and had a bit of luck we'd be 'night and day' within weeks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the good start was with a settled side and Lambert has been unable to pick the same team for two games running since.

If we kept Lambert and had a bit of luck we'd be 'night and day' within weeks. I don't think it's a coincidence that the good start was with a settled side and Lambert has been unable to pick the same team for two games running since.

Good luck wouldn't be enough to cancel out the fact that Lambert is a very poor manager and coach.  It isn't bad luck that has given us the lowest number of shots on target in the entire league.  You can't be that unlucky for three seasons on the spin, Lambert is just a shit manager.

The luck argument may have some weight if we hadn't been this poor for the previous two years. To claim its common sense is a bit much.

Did we just have a run from hell? Yes.

Before the run from hell and during the Spurs game, did we play better football? I think we have, and the stoke & hull games have shown this. In addition, last year we would have lost the Newcastle game.

I really think we have a big chance against West Ham & Southhampton, however if we lose those two games, I will re-assess my stance. 

The luck argument may have some weight if we hadn't been this poor for the previous two years. To claim its common sense is a bit much.

Did we just have a run from hell? Yes.

Before the run from hell and during the Spurs game, did we play better football? I think we have, and the stoke & hull games have shown this. In addition, last year we would have lost the Newcastle game.

I really think we have a big chance against West Ham & Southhampton, however if we lose those two games, I will re-assess my stance. 

So, two games is going to be enough to change your stance?  Yes, common sense indeed. :rolleyes:

I don't buy that for one minute. There's nothing about what he's shown so far that remotely suggests he's able or willing to change our style of play into one that actually creates opportunities

The biggest problem at the club isn't Lambert's management of it, its Randy's lack of investment in it.

The biggest problem at the club is that we have a group of players the manager is unable to get playing properly. Yes, we have limited resources, but we aren't using them right

Â