Paul Lambert

limpid

I am a little surprised at the length of the contract, and am also not convinced that he has really earned it. I was very happy to have Lambert here, but after the last two seasons I had begun to think he was not up to the job. The contract gives continuity, which is good, but at the moment I still am unconvinced, neither for nor against, and will remain so until I am persuaded otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he will be as good as I thought he would be, and happy to give him time.

Nothing wrong with being undecided, you know.

Haven't done every club but when you look at this it'll tell you the kind of restraints Lambert has had to work under.

Starts by youth graduates between 12-14 in Premier League:

269 - Aston Villa

176 - Liverpool

166 - Arsenal

161 - Southampton

145 - West Ham

140 - Man Utd

124 - Newcastle

65 - Everton

64 - Swansea

60 - Chelsea

55 - Tottenham

11 - Man City

That is amazing considering how the media are constantly rattling on about Southampton, Liverpool and Everton with their amazing youth academy and youth policy, and about all the great youngsters coming through at Arsenal, Utd etc. Interesting that Newcastle are on that list too when they get criticized for buying in too many foreigners (French and Dutch)

I was going to point out that our entire midfield and attack was English against Liverpool, with the exception of Weimann (academy), and Hutton + Baker in defence and it doesn't get mentioned as it's a positive thing. Yet when there were something like 3 british players between the 2 sides for Arsenal vs Man City earlier that day i seemed to see the stat everywhere.

Really pleased Lambert has got the extension as i don't think at any point over the last few years we could have got a better manager in. My 3 favourite managers outside of Villa before he was appointed were Martin Jol, David Moyes and Roberto Martinez. one of those had said no to us and the other 2 have now got tainted CV's so i'm happy he's staying on

Haven't done every club but when you look at this it'll tell you the kind of restraints Lambert has had to work under.

269 - Aston Villa

176 - Liverpool

166 - Arsenal

161 - Southampton

145 - West Ham

140 - Man Utd

124 - Newcastle

65 - Everton

64 - Swansea

60 - Chelsea

55 - Tottenham

11 - Man City

11 for Man City- that many? Great to see the money really helping player development.

VillaSeason_3205638.jpg

Aston Villa

To say that the presence of Aston Villa as Chelsea's closest challengers is a surprise would be a drastic understatement. After three eminently 'winnable' fixtures to start the season, Paul Lambert's side's recent victory at Liverpool was one of the biggest shocks of the season to date.

However, initially it appears that not much about Villa has changed. They have still mustered the fewest shots in the league (33) and rank 19th for both possession and pass accuracy. How, then, are they second in the table?

The one thing that Lambert, Keane and co. have really looked to remedy was their woeful defensive record.

Villa signed the likes of Philippe Senderos and Aly Cissokho over the summer and have extended an olive branch - and a new three-year deal - in the direction of Alan Hutton.

All of these decisions were pretty widely criticised - that Villa have the best defensive record in the league at present (just one conceded) has taken all by surprise, but they've deserved it.

Extremely well-organised over the first four games, only Stoke have conceded fewer shots on target (10), with only six sides having conceded more in that regard last season (175).

Link

Edited by momo

What is the 'whoscored.com' rating and how is a score of 6.74 ranked 7th and 6.77 ranked 13th? Lower score is better??

Lower and higher mean nothing when isolated to a single team. Last season 12 teams had higher scores than us, this season 6 do

VillaSeason_3205638.jpg

Aston Villa

To say that the presence of Aston Villa as Chelsea's closest challengers is a surprise would be a drastic understatement. After three eminently 'winnable' fixtures to start the season, Paul Lambert's side's recent victory at Liverpool was one of the biggest shocks of the season to date.

However, initially it appears that not much about Villa has changed. They have still mustered the fewest shots in the league (33) and rank 19th for both possession and pass accuracy. How, then, are they second in the table?

The one thing that Lambert, Keane and co. have really looked to remedy was their woeful defensive record.

Villa signed the likes of Philippe Senderos and Aly Cissokho over the summer and have extended an olive branch - and a new three-year deal - in the direction of Alan Hutton.

All of these decisions were pretty widely criticised - that Villa have the best defensive record in the league at present (just one conceded) has taken all by surprise, but they've deserved it.

Extremely well-organised over the first four games, only Stoke have conceded fewer shots on target (10), with only six sides having conceded more in that regard last season (175).

Link

I couldnt care if we had one shot on goal and scored from it every game as long as we're not conceding.

269 - Aston Villa

176 - Liverpool

166 - Arsenal

161 - Southampton

145 - West Ham

140 - Man Utd

124 - Newcastle

65 - Everton

64 - Swansea

60 - Chelsea

55 - Tottenham

11 - Man City

But Spurs have Townsend, future of captainking of England!

Surely that alone makes them superior to smelly old Villa?

Folski, hats off my friend, Brilliant piece of data. Must have taken a load of work to compile. Well done.

Not that long really probably an hour I had Fulham done as well they'd like 10.

As for the who scored rating i think all the data is put into a system and that adds up to give the rating, for example if you look at the whoscored rating the last day it will tell you that Sakho (7.23) & Lovren (7.53) had higher ratings then Senderos (7.13), in my humble opinion Senderos was the most influential player on the pitch, however from Whoscored's point of view Senderos had a 73% pass accuracy compared to 87% & 93% of the other two, they also had over 200 passes between them compared to Senderos' 11. 

I would also like to see that whoscored comparison for just the 4 corresponding fixtures last year to see if there is an improvement there.

Â