Paul Lambert

limpid

He's built a competitive squad on a shoe string the dizzy heights of chasing 4th are gone. But I also think the doom and gloom of last couple of seasons and mcleish/houllier era have lifted. Let's get behind him once and for all. There will no doubt be lows here and there. one thing is for sure we will have stability one a thing we've been craving since O'Neil days.

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 1

Best case - Lambert's been promised funds and either investment has been put in or new owners want Lambert to continue.

Worst case - Lambert's happy to work under the same restrictions and Lerner's delighted to have someone willing to do it.

No idea which one reality is closest to. I'll guess we'll find out next summer.

Those scenarios are basically win/win to the contract extension then.

Also, as an aside, is Lerner staying really such a bad thing?  The club has been terribly mismanaged and now put back on the right track.  If Lerner ran the club properly and gave reasonable funds to spend in the transfer windows, would it be a bad thing?  (Big IF, I get that).

Best case - Lambert's been promised funds and either investment has been put in or new owners want Lambert to continue.

Worst case - Lambert's happy to work under the same restrictions and Lerner's delighted to have someone willing to do it.

No idea which one reality is closest to. I'll guess we'll find out next summer.

Those scenarios are basically win/win to the contract extension then.

Also, as an aside, is Lerner staying really such a bad thing? The club has been terribly mismanaged and now put back on the right track. If Lerner ran the club properly and gave reasonable funds to spend in the transfer windows, would it be a bad thing? (Big IF, I get that).

If I could trust Lerner to continue to run us properly and increase funds then no its not a bad thing. But I don't. And if he's gone from wanting out to being committed again in a few months who knows how he'll feel in another few months.

TBH I just want him gone.

Deserves it? Stop this planet I want to get off.

We have played 4 games and he gets a new contract when at the end of last season a huge percentage of fans wanted and thought he should be sacked.

We have played Stoke, Newcastle and Hull who are all poor teams let's be honest. We've managed to learn how to defend during these first few games but going forward we still utterly useless.

The contracts that needed sorting were top quality players in Delph, Vlaar and Grealish. Not mediocre lower table players who would struggle to get another Premiership move in Hutton, Gabby and you can include the manager in that.

Madness to give him another contract, I presume this means a takeover is miles away from happening. Depressing.

He gets total respect from me for the dedication he has shown to Villa.   We have gone through a couple of brutal seasons and imo not many managers would of kept us up.  He has always tried to be positive and kept us moving forward despite all sorts of factors trying to hold us back.  We now look to be in a good position for the future and he more than anyone deserves credit for that.  I'm delighted with this new contract and am looking forward to seeing how we progress over the next few years.   UTV 

• Like 3

Really pleased. He's had the cards stacked against him since the start and I think he's done a great job keeping us up and (hopefully) giving us a good season finally.

I'm a big believer in stability and having a long term manager helps with that.

• Like 2

Lambert deserves it for steadying the ship under difficult and unfair circumstances. Glad that's another contract sorted.

Not being picky (ok, I am). You said Solskjaer was a failure, yet he has also had difficult and unfair circumstances. 

I like the stability this gives us. What I hope to see as a consequence is a team that will evolve and have the ability to hold onto the ball rather than the one dimensional counter attack and soak up pressure we are exposed to home and away at the moment.

Here's hoping you deliver Mr Lambert.

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial 39s

Breaking news: We can confirm that manager Paul Lambert's contract has been extended to June 2018. #AVFC

Awwwwwww shhhhiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttt

There are going to be a few heads exploding and some new keyboards needed on here tonight!

Already happening on twitter. 

Bit early IMO, if we scrape just 2/3 points from the next 5 games and end up with a smashed up goal difference people will sure be asking questions.

I think it was always on the cards. Randy knows he can't just stop running the club because he wants to sell. He might not get rid for 3 years. This adds stability without the need to shop around for a new manager. I think this would have happened even if we were on 3 points currently.

Â