Paul Lambert

limpid

I wasn't putting words into anybody's mouth or generalising.

What a lot of people seem to miss is that there simply isn't any significant money to spend right now. As somebody said earlier, it's a case of gambling on very cheap young players again (and Lambert has received a lot of flak for those kind of signings in the past) or signing older experienced players on free transfers.

What is Lambert supposed to do with so little to spend? If anyone's to blame it's Lerner for seemingly not even allowing moderate investment.

This is the problem, people are now acting like the 'young and hungry' strategy itself was intrinsically flawed rather than Lambert's botched execution of it. Also I don't need to keep being reminded how little money we have. I know this. All the more reason not to spend the modest resources we have on poor players only being signed because of how old they are. I still fail to see what will be achieved by this.

The problem is that while the spending restrictions seem to have taken a turn for the worse, Lambert was always hamstrung by how much he could spend on wages. Given the restrictions he's been under I don't think he's "botched" anything.

I wasn't happy at all with Lambo's game management during our losing streak in the spring. I don't rate him highly in that regard in general either.

However, he has made some shrewed acquisitions, like Vlaar and Benteke, and that is what we need most right now. I really hope he is able to find some magic again instead of the Tonevs. I am giving him the peace to work and prove he has what it takes. It's not an impossible quest, even with our limited funds, to keep us up until we get a new owner. I think Lambo can do it.

• Like 1

People only come up with the 'he made some good buys' argument to justify Lambo's continued reign as our manager so it seems? A good scout could also do this. When we get a new owner I would be amazed\disappointed if they did not replace Lambert who is quite obviously in over his head.

People only come up with the 'he made some good buys' argument to justify Lambo's continued reign as our manager so it seems? A good scout could also do this. When we get a new owner I would be amazed\disappointed if they did not replace Lambert who is quite obviously in over his head.

What a ridiculous arguement.

Nobody is trying to justify his reign, they are pointing out that when he has spent over a derisory £3m he has bought well.

Also, in what world would you trust a scout to buy a player?

Although I think that Lambert has signed some good players, I'd also like to point out that he always stated that Culverhouse was the man he would listen to regarding transfers.

Maybe Lambert's "change in policy" all of a sudden is more to do with Culverhouse leaving.

Although I think that Lambert has signed some good players, I'd also like to point out that he always stated that Culverhouse was the man he would listen to regarding transfers.

Maybe Lambert's "change in policy" all of a sudden is more to do with Culverhouse leaving.

Probably even more by Keane coming in

I have a feeling that Lambert is still learning his trade at the club and that's always going to frustrate fans.

He played 3 at the back, eventually it didn't work so we were saved with 4 at the back.

We played down the middle for so long and we failed to impress consistently, finally Albrighton came in and width saved us. (oooops, he sold him)

He bought some pretty awful players on a chance they were good and finally after sticking with them for an age he dropped them, Bennett, new players of that sort who have been brought in have had less support than past players and were dropped sooner, Luna.

Younger Villa players didn't really get their chance but finally Robinson got a shot, a few shots at that, perhaps more guys will get a shot too.

We dipped into the loan market, finally...we're not that big a club to ignore those sort of opportunities.

He trusted 2 men to training and lived life behind his desk, his 2 guys were sacked and he came out, we played better and now he's hired a honest speaker who takes no crap and will no doubt convince Lambert to be around a little more.

I really believe that Lambert needed this time to fail if he's to get the best of us, perhaps now his time is up and it's time to prove he can put all he's learnt into practice. Yes we'd prefer instant success, or even a modicum of it, but I truly think Lambert is learning is trade and he's needed this time to improve his own abilities as a manager in a struggling club,...I just hope now with Keane he realises you can't fit players into a formation they don't understand and people like Gabby and Weimann play up top where they are most effective, plus we actually get a defensive midfielder who isn't a coach.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay
  • Like 2

What a ridiculous arguement.

Nobody is trying to justify his reign, they are pointing out that when he has spent over a derisory £3m he has bought well.

Also, in what world would you trust a scout to buy a player?

So Lambert didn't do match preparation, training or scout players?

What does he do? :lol:

Rubbish there are plenty of people on here who try to roll that particular turd in glitter as they gave up on the polishing a while back.

What a lot of people seem to miss is that there simply isn't any significant money to spend right now. As somebody said earlier, it's a case of gambling on very cheap young players again (and Lambert has received a lot of flak for those kind of signings in the past) or signing older experienced players on free transfers.

What is Lambert supposed to do with so little to spend? If anyone's to blame it's Lerner for seemingly not even allowing moderate investment.

This is the problem, people are now acting like the 'young and hungry' strategy itself was intrinsically flawed rather than Lambert's botched execution of it. Also I don't need to keep being reminded how little money we have. I know this. All the more reason not to spend the modest resources we have on poor players only being signed because of how old they are. I still fail to see what will be achieved by this.

The problem is that while the spending restrictions seem to have taken a turn for the worse, Lambert was always hamstrung by how much he could spend on wages. Given the restrictions he's been under I don't think he's "botched" anything.

Hang on a minute.When you apply for a job, dont you ask what the wages are ? dont you find out what the conditions of employment is ? or do you just sign up anyway ? My point is that Lambert must have known what the conditions were before he took the job.So dont say he was hamstrung by $$ conditions ...He knew that AND STILL took the job,so he is either very ignorant or thought he was better than he really is>

• Like 1

Hang on a minute.When you apply for a job, dont you ask what the wages are ? dont you find out what the conditions of employment is ? or do you just sign up anyway ? My point is that Lambert must have known what the conditions were before he took the job.So dont say he was hamstrung by $$ conditions ...He knew that AND STILL took the job,so he is either very ignorant or thought he was better than he really is>

Whether you know about the conditions or not prior to taking the job it wouldn't stop you being hamstrung by them regardless. You should be thankful he did take the job, another manager would have took us down the way this club has been run from above the past 5 years

So your point is that if Lambert knew the budgets he had to work with then he can't have been hamstrung by those budgets?

With respect that is a pretty daft point. Simply knowing the budget doesn't change the conditions under which you are working or making the task any easier.

As for Lambert being either ignorant or thinking he was better than he was, I don't think it is either of those things. He backed his ability to do a job at a club despite the limitations that went with the job, he has kept us relatively safe these last two years while trying to rebuild a squad on pennies.

I'm really not sure what people expected of him.

• Like 3

Yes Lambert knew the conditions, and yes he knew there was going to be restrictions. I don't imagine he thought he was a better manger than he is, as he is still relatively young for a manager. He stated himself at the very beginning that it was the fact that a club the size of the Villa was a draw to him, he himself surely saw it as a step up in his own career, whether it was going to be difficult or not. Whilst he has made a bollock job of some games and he has mis-managed the team for periods of 5/6 games at a time, I think he's done a pretty good job of keeping us up and at times played some great football under the restrictions and ridiculous transfer pot that he's had to deal with.

To be honest I would question PL if he fully well knew that he would still be under these conditions in year 3.  I imagine he was told money would be available to be spent once the wage bill was sorted.  If that wasn't the case then I think he needs his head looking at.

• Like 1

No.My point is that the budget was no surprise to him.He knew he had to cut wages,he knew there was little money to spend.He knew everything....yet he still took the job.Meaning that he thought that he was good enough. 

He wasnt ( as we all know ) we needed someone like Moyes who ran Everton on a shoestring.

So, the bottom line is Lambert is not good enough for the Villa job,we needed someone like Martinez, Moyes.Lambert should realise this and walk away and give us a chance to find a manager that CAN work under those condidions. 

So your point is that if Lambert knew the budgets he had to work with then he can't have been hamstrung by those budgets?

With respect that is a pretty daft point. Simply knowing the budget doesn't change the conditions under which you are working or making the task any easier.

As for Lambert being either ignorant or thinking he was better than he was, I don't think it is either of those things. He backed his ability to do a job at a club despite the limitations that went with the job, he has kept us relatively safe these last two years while trying to rebuild a squad on pennies.

I'm really not sure what people expected of him.

Bit heart and fight in the team?

Being difficult to beat?

Actually having a go at other teams at home?

Playing decent football every now and again?

Staying up because we deserve it not because there are 3 worse teams than us?

I know Lerner has placed stupid restrictions in place but they don't stop the team being motivated.

Buying the likes of the young and hungry works in the championship with Norwich but it's more difficult with us. His lack of Prem experience shows and he doesn't know how to remedy it without spending money.

• Like 1

No.My point is that the budget was no surprise to him.He knew he had to cut wages,he knew there was little money to spend.He knew everything....yet he still took the job.Meaning that he thought that he was good enough. 

He wasnt ( as we all know ) we needed someone like Moyes who ran Everton on a shoestring.

So, the bottom line is Lambert is not good enough for the Villa job,we needed someone like Martinez, Moyes.Lambert should realise this and walk away and give us a chance to find a manager that CAN work under those condidions. 

Well that is a different point to the one you previously posted.

Basically your point is that you think someone could and should do better than Lambert has managed with the budget he has been given. Personally I don't.

Neither do I think he should quite because some fans think he should, especially when the owner has publicly said he has done everything asked of him. If you think he would quit in that situation to keep a section of the fans happy I think you are being entirely unrealistic.

As for Martinez, he turned us down because he didn't fancy working with Lerner under the conditions on offer. I'm not sure who you think we could go and get to do a better job than Lambert especially in the current situation.

• Like 1

Â