Paul Lambert

limpid

He ... knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp.

Let's hope so - otherwise we'd be well and truly screwed. :)

(I think you may have mixed up your idiom(s) somewhat)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert 

That has to be the craziest statement I have read on Villatalk in a long while.

In my view it disqualifies the rest of your post from serious or rational consideration.

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

So if Lambert is a tactical genius scholared by some of the best in the business. How come none of our players are able to carry out those pure gold tactics that he tries to implement?

Are all our players that stupid or do you seriously believe that Karsa & Culverhouse forced the players to ignore Lamberts tactics by bullying them?

If Lambert is such a tactician he must be one of the worst at coaching his players because they all look just as clueless as him as soon as they step on the pitch.

Becuase only a handful of our players are good enough.
Well i can agree with that, but you don't need to be a great or even very good player to follow tactics.

I disagree on that, especially in the prem you do need to be a very good player to follow tactics.

A manager before the game can say pass it around don't just hoof it but if a player isn't good enough they won't try and pass it or beat a man when put under pressure, they will just hoof it. They won't be thinking about what the manager said before.

Obviously you can't be a total amateur and function in the PL, but i don't think our players are THAT bad.

If a player is comfortable in how he and his teammates should perform they will act less stressed and look like they have more time on the ball.

A coach like Pulis manages to get just as limited players like ours to perform just like he want's them to do at the clubs he's at. It took him a very short time to get his Crysta Palace players to totally change what they did and "suddenly" improve.

It is of course easier to play "Pulis football" than "Bayern Münich football" but Lambert can't even get our players to do the very basics like pass and move or make runs to create open areas for teammates.

Let's say the majority of our players are not good enough (i agree with that).

Should the manager who bought most of them and failed to get them to perform get a clean start and lots of millions to build a totally new team.

For me that is a massive NO!

Pretty weak excuse that the players aren't good enough, especially when the manager being defended signed them and those defending the manager have spent most transfer windows praising the business we did. We play more long balls than most teams and have less possession in games than most teams, that's not just down to the quality of players. You'd think after 2 years you'd see players improving under Lambert and the style of play improving as this happens. If anything its gone backwards from how we finished last season.

Please quit people from slagging Lambert off over his tactics.

The guy played for Borussia Dortmund & had Hitzfeld as a mentor. He has his coaching badges & knows more about tactics than the majority of posters on VT (myself included) could put on the back of a postage stamp. He also played under MON too & has adopted his playing style at times when necessary.

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert & there is no way that you become a bad manager over night.

Far from being tactically inept I think you'll find he is actually tactically very astute.

How else then did we beat the top teams this season like Man City, Chelsea & Arsenal?

The problem that we have had is that we didn't invest in a number 10. Lambert did try to sign Hoolahan but McNasty was having none of it.

Also, given our pure bad luck with injuries, chances are that Hoolahan would have ended up being crocked anyway on his Villa debut had we signed him.

Lambert knows what he is doing & I back his judgement entirely.

Before you all choke on your cornflakes in responding to this post can I just please make one simple request that you show us all your coaching badges first.

What utter, utter nonsense, and the fact that enough people have liked it to earn it a 'popular' star is incredible (and sad).  Firstly, ALL managers, even the really, really bad ones, know far more about football tactics than anybody posting here.  It wasn't a valid argument when I was 8 years old in the playground arguing that the latest Shakin' Stevens single wasn't up to much, and it isn't a valid argument now. 

Secondly, unless Brazil have started conceding loads of goals and getting the ball by whatever means necessary to a big-boned centre forward, I must have been watching different Norwich games to you.  You can't take away the fact that he did a decent job for Norwich, but Brazil-like they most certainly were not.

And Blandy's already debunked the 'tactically astute' myth, but I'll repeat the fact that if you give him credit for the good performances, then you have to acknowledge the far, far more regular really terrible displays.  I don't have my UEFA A or B coaching certificates, but as a long time football fan I recgonise a shocking display of tactical cluelessness when I see one, eg the home leg for Bradford last season in the League Cup.  And I'm not a film director, a record producer, a politician or an engineer, but I respect the right of people to have an opinion on such things and slate the people they don't like without asking them for their professional credentials first.  Utterly childish debating, that.

Lambert's Norwich played like Brazil. Hahahahahahahahahaha. They played more long balls than us that season and that was also when Mr.Negative was here.

Edited by lp_villa830

Pretty weak excuse that the players aren't good enough, especially when the manager being defended signed them and those defending the manager have spent most transfer windows praising the business we did.

Actually most have said that the players bought for higher money, in our case £3 mil plus, have been very good additions. Most have admitted that bar the odd players like bacuna, the ones bought for less money aren't good enough and need replacing.

Youre again thinking that to back Lambert you have to of loved everything he's done. Whereas those that back him have admitted mistakes.

Just like some that want him gone have recognised good things he's done.

I agree that Lambert knows more about tactics than anyone on this here message board, but it also must be conceded that he's not setting his team up to play one of ours. He's setting it up to play against other people that know more about tactics than any of us. the question is, does he know more that the guy he up against?

Would any other manager get better results out of this team is a valid question I feel.  Would Lambert flourish with a better budget and better players too?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt should we find ourselves with better financial backing - although I would concede it is more probable that his tenure would come to an end.

• Like 1

I'd go along the lines of some managers are good fit for clubs, others are not. Lambert had great success at Norwich, but he has not done anything here to suggest he is worth another season in my opinion. Just like Owen Coyle when he went from Burnley to Bolton, and Moyes as well. It doesn't always work out. For me, it hasn't worked out for Lambert here and it is time for a change. That doesn't mean I think he is an awful manager and won't have success, I just don't think it will be here.

You need more than coaching badges to prepare for this job. I have said on many occasions it is the toughest job in the country, made a whole lot tougher with internal disputes, freak injuries to key players and an owner preparing to sell the club. Nobody can expect to progress in these circumstances.

You need more than coaching badges to prepare for this job. I have said on many occasions it is the toughest job in the country, made a whole lot tougher with internal disputes, freak injuries to key players and an owner preparing to sell the club. Nobody can expect to progress in these circumstances.

He hasn't faced all of those for the whole two years though, and apart from the odd glimpse, his performance has been underwhelming for most of the time he's been here.  Also, most other jobs have their own circumstances that make them difficult.  Newly promoted teams have decide what they need to do to make sure they stay in the Premier League, David Moyes had an incredibly difficult job following the most successful manager in modern football, and so on.  Lambert's job hasn't been easy, but a lot of the difficulties he's bought on himself.

He hasn't faced all of those for the whole two years though, and apart from the odd glimpse, his performance has been underwhelming for most of the time he's been here.  Also, most other jobs have their own circumstances that make them difficult.  Newly promoted teams have decide what they need to do to make sure they stay in the Premier League, David Moyes had an incredibly difficult job following the most successful manager in modern football, and so on.  Lambert's job hasn't been easy, but a lot of the difficulties he's bought on himself.

But he did inherit a team that needed rebuilding from scratch with a limited budget, and a wage bill that needed to be reduced. Add them facts to the recent issues at the club; it could be argued Lambert was doing a decent job.

What difficulties has he brought on himself?

What difficulties has he brought on himself?

Building a poor squad, strange formation and tactical decisons, not adapting or responding to what's happening in a match and the worst home form in the history of the club.

He has built a "poor" squad because the budget dictates the quality of player we can purchase. At this current time we are missing key players through injury. You say strange formations and tactical decisions but then say Lambert is not adapting, I am confused?  How can Lambert respond or adapt in a game if the squad, by your own admission, is "poor"? 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I watched Norwich play like Brazil when they gained promotion to the Premier League under Lambert 

That has to be the craziest statement I have read on Villatalk in a long while.

In my view it disqualifies the rest of your post from serious or rational consideration.

Check out Norwich City 3 Bristol City 1 just before Norwich were promoted & you'll swear your watching Pele, Rivelinho, Jairzinho, Garincha, Zico, Ronaldo et al.

Lambert rocks!

Â