Paul Lambert

limpid

New Owner: "So Paul, can you tell me what you have achieved over the last 2 years in your capacity as team manager, you know, things like improved the quality of football on display, improved the points total year upon year over your predecessor, improved the home win ratio, bought a high percentage of good quality players, that sort of thing".

Paul Lambert: "Er well, when I was hired I was given a shoestring budget to completely replace the squad and get rid of any high earners who weren't earning their way around here, as Randy had effectively pulled the plug financially. Despite this I have kept the club up both season I have been here. This may have at times came at the expense of the football on show but Randy assured me it was necessary to keep the club afloat. The quality of player isn't great, but what do you expect when you can only offer Championship wages. When I've gone shopping for higher value players, I've usually gotten a good deal and gotten in some good quality players.".

New Owner: "That wasn't the question I asked you though was it? I didn't ask you for lame excuses, you were supposed to sell yourself, you know, tell me your positive attributes. Ok, well we have a few other candidates to see, we'll be in touch over the next few days. Thanks for your time".

Fixed.

Fixed.

The only reason I can think of, and it's a big one, is because they don't know enough about the club or sport yet to have "their own man". Likely they'd see how lambert did on a reasonable budget, but by no means big one, maybe the same transfer fees but a bit of relaxation on the wages, and see how that fares.

Did Lerner keep DOL?

There's no way new owners haven't paid attention to the club recently so there's no way they'd have not seen how awful it's been. I just can't see any reason why they'd keep him.

Ellis got rid of dol and brought in Mon before Lerner arrived?
You don't think MON knew about the takeover happening and you don't think Lerner had any say in MON getting the job?I think that's ridiculous.
Of course he did but dol was wanted out for about 5 months before that happened. I was at Doncaster away when we lost 3-0 in Jan and he'd lost the fans by then both home and away.
I'm not sure what's that got to do with it.
Dol wasn't replaced because of Lerner coming in, he would of been replaced regardless.

I very much doubt Lerner decided he wanted Mon to take the job and asked Ellis to make the change.

Edited by The_Lions_Roar

The only reason I can think of, and it's a big one, is because they don't know enough about the club or sport yet to have "their own man". Likely they'd see how lambert did on a reasonable budget, but by no means big one, maybe the same transfer fees but a bit of relaxation on the wages, and see how that fares.

Did Lerner keep DOL?

There's no way new owners haven't paid attention to the club recently so there's no way they'd have not seen how awful it's been. I just can't see any reason why they'd keep him.

You don't think MON knew about the takeover happening and you don't think Lerner had any say in MON getting the job?I think that's ridiculous.
Of course he did but dol was wanted out for about 5 months before that happened. I was at Doncaster away when we lost 3-0 in Jan and he'd lost the fans by then both home and away.
Dol wasn't replaced because of Lerner coming in, he would of been replaced regardless.

I very much doubt Lerner decided he wanted Mon to take the job and asked Ellis to make the change.

You doubt Lerner had anything to do with MON? Why would MON take the job knowing there were new owners coming but not knowing if they wanted him? That would be a ridiculous decision.

New Owner: "So Paul, can you tell me what you have achieved over the last 2 years in your capacity as team manager, you know, things like improved the quality of football on display, improved the points total year upon year over your predecessor, improved the home win ratio, bought a high percentage of good quality players, that sort of thing".

Paul Lambert: "Er well, when I was hired I was given a shoestring budget to completely replace the squad and get rid of any high earners who weren't earning their way around here, as Randy had effectively pulled the plug financially. Despite this I have kept the club up both season I have been here. This may have at times came at the expense of the football on show but Randy assured me it was necessary to keep the club afloat. The quality of player isn't great, but what do you expect when you can only offer Championship wages. When I've gone shopping for higher value players, I've usually gotten a good deal and gotten in some good quality players.".

New Owner: "That wasn't the question I asked you though was it? I didn't ask you for lame excuses, you were supposed to sell yourself, you know, tell me your positive attributes. Ok, well we have a few other candidates to see, we'll be in touch over the next few days. Thanks for your time".

Fixed.

Fixed.
He kept us up with not much money. That was his job. As for selling himself, he's beaten some top four clubs and some top half teams. Thats harder to do than beat lower half teams.. :lol: in a backwards kind of way, he's better at beating harder teams, than he is rubbish ones. Lol Edited by lapal_fan

I don't think there's any way the home record can be "defended". It just simply can't be. Sure there are some mitigations - but not so many that they excuse the level of ineptitude on display most times.

At the latter part of last season it looked like things were going in the right direction. Same at the start of this season, but since then the direction of movement has reversed. We're getting worse, not better.

Thinking back to the second time GT was here, he too had to operate under little or no money from the previous chairman, and he went at the end of the season. He managed to win 11 home games that year, in the league.

I think it's possible Paul Lambert could turn us round, given some decent money to spend. I'm not shouting for him to go, but to be honest there's not much concrete I could point to and say "for this reason, he definitely deserves to stay".

Style of play - nope.

Away record - it's kind of ok-ish, but not great.

Signs of progress in the team and players - nope.

And there's no section of the team (midfield, or defencce etc.) where you can say "that bit's right, we just need the last piece in the jigsaw"

signings - nope. I know he's had to spread a little money (relatively) very widely, but while Benteke was a major plus. Vlaar was a good buy, same with Ashley Westwood and the re-signing of the released Brad Guzan was excellent. Okore too looked excellent, before his unfortunate injury. But the rest, though, just haven't looked like players who belong in the Prem. In time some of them may do, but "in time" isn't what is needed in the here and now. I don't think, given the level he's had to shop at, he's done badly, but he hasn't done well enough to get any kind of credit, really.

One plus has been wins against so called top teams, the sort who we used to get rolled over by. That's been really good. But then he's gone and spoilt it by having us trampled on by so called little teams, who have deservedly whooped us.

So as much as I think he's had a really hard task to do, with not as many tools as he'd like or need, he ultimately hasn't shone at it, hasn't done something so far to demonstrate he should definitely be kept on. Winning the next 4 games would do it, winning 3 of the 4, even, but that aside it's becoming harder to say why he should stay.

Great post, nothing much to disagree on here.

Did Lerner keep DOL?

You doubt Lerner had anything to do with MON? Why would MON take the job knowing there were new owners coming but not knowing if they wanted him? That would be a ridiculous decision.

I never said that did I?

I said I doubt Lerner specifically sourced Mon to take over.

Plus I said dol was already on his way out, new owners weren't the reason he was sacked. He would of been sacked regardless.

I don't think there's any way the home record can be "defended". It just simply can't be. Sure there are some mitigations - but not so many that they excuse the level of ineptitude on display most times.

Agree big time with this. Worst home form in the history of the club just can't be defended at all. I would imagine it's something potential new owners will be well aware of.

Did Lerner keep DOL?

I never said that did I?

I said I doubt Lerner specifically sourced Mon to take over.

Plus I said dol was already on his way out, new owners weren't the reason he was sacked. He would of been sacked regardless.

So what do you think he did? Just told Doug to hire who he wanted and he'll stick with him? And like I said why would MON come to villa unless be knew full well the new owner wanted him as the manager of the club?

:snip:  :snip: 

So what do you think he did? Just told Doug to hire who he wanted and he'll stick with him? And like I said why would MON come to villa unless be knew full well the new owner wanted him as the manager of the club?

Considering that we are consistently told that Randy knows nothing about football, then yes, I think that's exactly what happened. MON was Ellis' parting gift. And of course MON knew someone was taking over, but no-one has disputed that.

I don't think much of Lerner but I'd be amazed if he had no say in the appointment of who the manager was going to be.

I would say that Ellis told Lerner that he could get Mon to take over as manager who's record spoke for itself.

Dol was gone regardless for taking a team from 6th to 16th.

Why would Doug be bothered about searching for and then convincing a new manager to join for a new owner?

Because at the end of the day, he's still a Villa fan. He still wants the best for the club, he's still the president even.

Also, he can massage his ego by saying to all the Villa fans "Look, I sold the club like you wanted, and as I left I hired MON, our most successful manager in recent years, and sold to Lerner, someone who pumped loads of money in when he came"

Then, despite not being chairman anymore, he can still take credit for our success.

• Like 4

Why would Doug be bothered about searching for and then convincing a new manager to join for a new owner?

Because at the end of the day, he's still a Villa fan. He still wants the best for the club, he's still the president even.

Also, he can massage his ego by saying to all the Villa fans "Look, I sold the club like you wanted, and as I left I hired MON, our most successful manager in recent years, and sold to Lerner, someone who pumped loads of money in when he came"

Then, despite not being chairman anymore, he can still take credit for our success.

I agree with this version. 

I was always under the impression MON came to the club knowing that Randy would be taking over and investing. MON might not be a very good football manager but he's a very clever man. I doubt he would have joined the club without having a very good idea of who would be his boss.

• Like 1

So Doug went out of his way to hire a manager for a new owner convincing Lerner and MON to completly trust him. MON was happy joining even though the new owners didn't have anything to do with his appointment and Lerner was happy to put all his faith in Doug Ellis.

People really think that's more likely than Lerner being the main person responsible for hiring Mon?

Edited by Big_John_10

Â