Paul Lambert

limpid

I see the "budget restraints" line used often in defense of Lambert. I simply cannot agree.

Like his predecessor, nothing in Lambert's football suggests that adding 2-3 "quality" players (the most we can expect under Lerner) would actually improve our football.

After all, a few new players does not constitute a complete style change - which is what we really need. You're more likely to achieve that with a new manager.

He had a budget 10 times that of Bradford and Sheffield United yet lost to both and made us a laughing stock

We were not missing Benteke or Delph in either of these fixtures

The tactics and what goes on at the training ground is the issue

This , the budget argument goes out the window when you have lost 3 times to lower league clubs one of which was over 2 legs !!

Are Palace loaded ..no but under Pulis they are organized which is more than can be said of Lambert's Villa.

• Like 1

How on earth could he be exceptionally close to deals if he knows full well that the club won't pay the wages for the players? Surely that's number one on most players' and agents' list of things to discuss when moves are negotiated?

No idea, maybe he or Culverhouse make initial contact with some players/agents to get them interested and then pass the baton to Faulkner to get the deal done.

Holtby 100% was down to funds and he did want him, Lukaku 100% was down to funds and he did want him, we've heard talk of a Barry deal being scuppered by funds too.

It really doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Sissoko is on that list as well, I remember when we were meant to be in for him that it was likely we could have got a deal done before Newcastle were even interested. But, again, sorry Paul too expensive.

Last summer and even January he has tried to get a number 10 in to help unlock defences, sorry Paul, too expensive. What still happens now? We can't unlock a defence to save our lives.

It seems he can see where certain problems are in terms of the sort of players we need, like Bertrand coming in on a loan because Luna and Bennett aren't up for the job in the starting 11 (yet).

Honestly, I think unless Lerner sells up or decides he wants to play ball again, this will just continue over and over again.

• Like 1

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/crystal-palace-1-aston-villa-6984043

Fair play to Kendrick. It's about time. Hopefully national papers start saying the same.

Excellent article, and also one in the eye for those saying he wouldn't dare to criticise Lerner or Faulkner.

I think he like the fans has had enough , he not the only one in the press either.

The board owe Lambert big time - for overhauling the squad and dealing with the request to ship off the higher earners. It's obvious that the management is capable of scouting players but they need to back him sufficiently in the summer.

Faulkner/Lerner are stifling the club far more than Lambert.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

It took Moyes time to build Everton into a competitive team under financial restrictions, it will take Lambert the same amount of time to make us competitive.

Not really, he finished fourth in his second full season there so not very long at all.

& where would Man Utd be right now if Lambert had taken over from Sour Alex Ferguson?

Relegated.

The board owe Lambert big time - for overhauling the squad and dealing with the request to ship off the higher earners. It's obvious that the club is capable of scouting players but they need to back him sufficiently in the summer.

Pretty much this. I'm not saying Lambert is perfect, far from it, but Holtby as a prime example is somebody who could have helped us solidify our midtable position until the end of the season. Now look.

Disclaimer:

I'm not saying Holtby alone could save our season, but he would have added much needed creativity.

This is the thing, you build from the back. enough 'crearive midfielder' stuff. We aren't in that state. Make us hard to beat then build on that.

So sign a potentially quality player like Okore to do just that & then watch him get injured for the rest of the season.

Surely fans understand this.

That's why I refuse to join the clamour for Lambert out.

Give the guy a proper chance please.

Yup. Lambert loves managing the Villa and wants us to get better.
I'm sure he does and he can't believe his luck still being in a job, while producing a result record that would have seen any other Premiership manager sacked plus a rumoured offer of a new contract.

Nice work if you can get it to reward failure.

How on earth could he be exceptionally close to deals if he knows full well that the club won't pay the wages for the players? Surely that's number one on most players' and agents' list of things to discuss when moves are negotiated?

No idea, maybe he or Culverhouse make initial contact with some players/agents to get them interested and then pass the baton to Faulkner to get the deal done.

Holtby 100% was down to funds and he did want him, Lukaku 100% was down to funds and he did want him, we've heard talk of a Barry deal being scuppered by funds too.

It really doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Sissoko is on that list as well, I remember when we were meant to be in for him that it was likely we could have got a deal done before Newcastle were even interested. But, again, sorry Paul too expensive.

Last summer and even January he has tried to get a number 10 in to help unlock defences, sorry Paul, too expensive. What still happens now? We can't unlock a defence to save our lives.

It seems he can see where certain problems are in terms of the sort of players we need, like Bertrand coming in on a loan because Luna and Bennett aren't up for the job in the starting 11 (yet).

Honestly, I think unless Lerner sells up or decides he wants to play ball again, this will just continue over and over again.

So a new defence of Lambert is he wanted to sign good players.

Don't all managers?

It won't though, if Lerner stays and keeps dicking around one of these years we'll go down. (hopefully not this year)

The board owe Lambert big time - for overhauling the squad and dealing with the request to ship off the higher earners. It's obvious that the management is capable of scouting players but they need to back him sufficiently in the summer.

I won't defend Lerner but to say they owe Lambert big time is laughable.

It is a myth that he has shipped out the high earners though.. He has isolated and probably lowered the values of bent given Hutton and nzog but we are still paying their wages

• Like 1

Why is so hard to accept that you cannot blame Lambert for everything? At a boardroom level, some need to take responsibility for failing to sufficiently back the manager. Individual players need to be held accountable for their lack of form or individual mistakes.

A new defence of Paul Lambert? In what way am I defending him?

It seems he and his team have wanted us to sign some very good players, but the board won't allow it. I'm merely pointing out that its more evidence of Lerner not caring about progression but simply wanting us to stay put in the league.

Yes all managers do want to sign good players, but unfortunately it seems that no manager for Aston Villa will be doing so any time soon unless they pick out some rough diamonds. That is exactly my point.

The fact that a Sky Sports pundit has come out and said it too shows that the media may be waking up a bit.

It is a myth that he has shipped out the high earners though.. He has isolated and probably lowered the values of bent given Hutton and nzog but we are still paying their wages

The same Alan Hutton who refused to lower his wage demands or accept a smaller payoff from the club when offered to join other clubs on loan. Yeah, must be Lambert's fault.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

The same Alan Hutton who refused to lower his wage demands or accept a smaller payoff from the club when offered to join other clubs on loan. Yeah, must be Lambert's fault.

Why would anybody agree to earn less than the amount that their mutually agreed contract dictates?

“They are vital, absolutely vital to this football club. They need to roar us from now on in to get over that line. All I can do is my best and hope they like it,” he said.

An extract from the Express & Star.

Well Paul I think the fans, especially those that travel away, have been roaring to the best of their ability but it must be difficult for them when they see dross almost weekly and if you haven't been doing your best to date then what the hell have you been doing?

Edited by pacbuddies

Because you would go to work and one day your boss asks you to work for a few £thousand per year less than what he agreed to pay you when you started and you would be fine with that!

It took Moyes time to build Everton into a competitive team under financial restrictions, it will take Lambert the same amount of time to make us competitive.

Not really, he finished fourth in his second full season there so not very long at all.

They did also finish 17th in his third season

So this magical third season can be counter productive after all?
  • Like 1

In fairness Lambert needed to overhaul an entire squad in his first two years, I do not recall that happening at Everton. David Moyes won MOTY in his first full season at Everton, it did afford him more patience from the fans when you look back. But that is what you call regression by going backwards from 7th to 17th. Would you have sacked him?

Lambert's record over two seasons has been poor with little redemption.

Is all of this based upon the musings of Charlie Nicholas, or is there any actual substance to it?

It is clear that if Lambert had received more funding, then he may have signed better players.

It is clear that, whatever happens, better funding is required in terms of adding to the squad.

But the fact remains that Lambert took the job, knowing the parameters, and he sold his prospective employers the idea that he could do it.

And he has failed, miserably.

Regime change, if it's for the better, yes.

Squad rebuilding, hopefully with better funding, yes.

Manager/coaching staff change, yes

• Like 1

Â