Paul Lambert

limpid

I think when judging a manager you have to sometimes look at the players. Are the players he has, playing to their potential? Are they giving the team 100%.

In my opinion I think the players ( apart from maybe CB at times) are all giving 100% and playing to their potential.

They always do.

The players he has bought (we are not buying class A eggs-omelettes) - some have been excellent and others not so good.

But overall the buys have been good, Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna. Gabby seems to be thriving too.

Then there is the tactics. Counter attacking is definitely our best weapon.

However, if he continues to play Holt I would like a new manager. ( seriously I can't watch this guy, he is doing my head in)

I mean other teams have players like Hazard and Suarez and we have Holt. Even 3 years ago when he was more mobile I would have cringed if he played for us.

But Lambert in my opinion is doing well.

Thats a pretty poor ratio of success from 18 players but we'll just gloss over that.
Fair enough but I think, that Lambert bought some players knowing that they will improve. Helenius, Bennett, Lowton, Westwood, Luna, Tonev, Kozak, Steer and even El Ahmadi, Are you including Guzan and Bertrand in the 18?

Bowery was a long shot. Holt for experience.

If he adds two quality players each year on a shoestring he's doing alright, maybe that's just gloss for you.

Bennett and Luna have been dropped because they have been consistently poor. Tonev has shown nothing to suggest than he is going to improve. Lambert signed the great Holt instead of playing Helenius which says a lot. Lowton has also been dropped and Steer when he plays doesn't exactly exude confidence in anyone. Bowery has been a nothing signing except for the wheelchair gif. KEA has been poor to average in that order.

Guzan I don't classify as a Lambert signing and yes Bertrand (loan), Vlaar and Benteke have however been excellent while the jury is still out on Kozak.

Overall as previously stated his ratio of successful signings has been poor as is his overall result record with us.  

Lambert has bought some dross thats for sure. I would have have thought that somebody who played as a midfielder for is whole career and won a champions league medal would be able to spot a midfield player, however he has ended up buying Sylla, KEA and Westwood who are all shit

I think most have been poor. We have 4 Key players, 2 he signed and 2 he inherited.

The rest look pretty average.

The 2 players I'd say he inherited were Gabby & Delph, and both were woeful for a nice period. Guzan had been left go and he convinced him to sign on. That for me is a signing.

The best you can say for most of Lamberts signings is that they are possibly value for money, and in many cases the value increase from last season is already gone after the tripe displays during this season.

• Like 1

I like the fact that Lambert can see talent at a minimal cost.

When we bought Benteke and Bacuna, the fans in their clubs said they were not good enough for the premiership. This has been proven wrong.

Yes but also signed rubbish like Bennett, Lowton, Westwood, Tonev, Helenious, and others who have turned out to be complete and utter garbage.

It's safe to say his dreadful buys outnumber his few decent ones.

To this in about 18 months, not to mention they are probably on 50% of the wages of the 11 above them.

• 01 Guzan
  • 07 Bacuna
  • 23 Bertrand
  • 06 Clark
  • 02 Baker
  • 04 Vlaar (Albrighton - 80' )
  • 10 Weimann (Tonev - 87' )
  • 15 Westwood
  • 20 Benteke
  • 29 Holt (El Ahmadi - 61' )
  • 16 Delph
Edited by Folski

To this in about 18 months, not to mention they are probably on 50% of the wages of the 11 above them.

• 01 Guzan
  • 07 Bacuna
  • 23 Bertrand
  • 06 Clark
  • 02 Baker
  • 15 Westwood
  • 20 Benteke
  • 16 Delph

When you look at that, Lambert has done a remarkable job.

And if he does get us to a top ten finish then we'll be gald we signed him to a longer contract. We currently are top ten and I see no reason why we should be looking down from now on because we can catch Southampton.

• Like 2

Seems like a crazy time to be negotiating a new contract. He still has 18 months left, surely the time to do this would have been at the end of this season. We do not know where we will finish, and although I like Lambert and can buy into his vision, I am still not convinced by him at this stage. He has set too many records of the wrong sort during his time in charge, and often his tactics are baffling. He turns up some gems, but also some dodos, and quite a few who are just bog standard whose potential we still await, while our own young players are apparently not good enough to displace them.

While I can see the benefit of continuity, I am afraid on this one I think the board are moving too soon.

• Like 2

• 01 Guzan
  • 07 Bacuna
  • 23 Bertrand
  • 06 Clark
  • 02 Baker
  • 15 Westwood
  • 20 Benteke
  • 16 Delph

When you look at that, Lambert has done a remarkable job.

And if he does get us to a top ten finish then we'll be gald we signed him to a longer contract. We currently are top ten and I see no reason why we should be looking down from now on because we can catch Southampton.

I am jealous of your optimism, or shall I say naivety. I don't think you're very objective though.

Southampton are 8 points ahead of us and their six next games are: Stoke (H), Hull (A), West Ham (A), Liverpool (H), Crystal Palace (A) and Norwich (H). A lot of points to be won in there.

Southampton are a much better team than us. They have a fluid playing pattern, a strict defensive unit meaning they are joint 4th in conceding the least goals, 7th in scoring goals, 9 clean sheets and so on. Their strikers have scored a total of 20 goals and their midfield have chipped in with 10 more, and we all know Lallana is lightyears above every one of our midfielders. They have also gotten Wanyama back from injury, a player that is very good at breaking up attacking threats and he is one of their most important players. They have a better defense than us, but the most important thing is probably their midfield's ability to create chances. They have 14 assists from midfield - we have 4, which paints the picture we are all too familiar with. They are better than us as home and their away form is exactly the same, only with a better GD. Totally they are 14 goals ahead of us in the GD department.

You speak of 8 points like it's nothing, but to put it into perspective; we are also 8 points from being dead last in the table - and in my opinion we are bound to be closer to Fulham than Southampton come May.

• Like 4

some people are too harsh on Lambert's transfer record. he's shopping at the budget end of the market (for a Premier league club). risk is a big determining factor in transfer fees - if the players he was signing were risk free, they'd cost more, so some disappointments are pretty well guaranteed.

outside the super-rich, every club in the league has relatively low price signings in their squad who have made limited impact (equivalent to Tonev, Helenius, Bennett). and the fact is we've changed 90% of our team in 18 months. that's always going to be a difficult transition. it's much easier to integrate players into an established team than to use them as building blocks for a whole new team.

even if you look the next bracket up, Brendan Rodgers is generally doing great at Liverpool but he's made a number of signings like Aspas, Alberto, Assaidi, Borini who have not been successful and most of them cost the same or more than Benteke.

maybe the end of the season would be better time to sort new contract, but as stated, it's in negotiation: it wouldn't be surprising if nothing is concluded until we are safe.

Paul Lambert would have done well to watch a master tactician at work last night, playing 2 holding midfielders to protect his central defenders and give comfort/platform to his attacking 3 

our defenders are far too exposed.

• Like 1

Â