Russel Brands "The Trews"

Demitri_C

Pretty sure he is giving the all the proceeds of the book to not for profit social enterprises so you can view it as buying a really expensive Red Nose if that makes you feel any better.

his website sates "All net profit from sales will be donated to the Russell Brand Foundation" .. but that only seems to be selling t-shirts

depends how creative your expensive accountant  is in coming up with the "net" figure I guess those penthouse flats don't come cheap you know 

I just don't get the hate or the claim it's all about self promotion. The guy was in the paper all the time years ago for drinking and sleeping around. Surely it would be easier to self promote with that than actually going out of his way to help people.

And I don't know why people keep focusing on his fame and wealth. Would anyone listen to his ideas if he wasn't rich and famous?

He probably is a hypocrite

I don't see how.

Bit of an egotist, maybe. Hypocrite? How so?

Man earning a lot of money from comedy, film and TV is still permitted to hold left wing views and attack 'the establishment'. Tony Benn was seen as coming from the establishment (his background was anyway). But he still hated it, and committed his life to rallying against it. 

I agree with what you have said i'm just playing devils advocate really.

Having said that i don't think he has done himself any favour by trying to flog a book for 20 quid while claiming that socially inequality and material possessions etc.. are something we need to get away from.

I don't believe he's said we need to get away from material possessions as such, more that we needn't be bullied into making them more important than, say, food if that's all we can afford.

I also fail to see why he can't also have his chosen career whilst trying to do some good.  I'm listening to the audiobook at the moment and he makes some great points, delivering them in a way that most ordinary non-political folk can relate to.  He's not promoting Communism, just strongly against rich people crapping all over the poor.  The trouble is they've done such a good job of it that the poor are largely now convinced that it's ok.  It's almost as if we're being held captive by the establishment and have developed Stockholm Syndrome...

• Like 4

If it takes Russell Brand to engage young people in the political process then so be it.

If young people did vote and were politically active, some of the issues he discusses could be addressed. The likes of The Sun trivialise news reporting to the extent that many young people care more about who to vote out of the jungle than who to run their country.

• Like 1

If it takes Russell Brand to engage young people in the political process then so be it.

If young people did vote and were politically active, some of the issues he discusses could be addressed. The likes of The Sun trivialise news reporting to the extent that many young people care more about who to vote out of the jungle than who to run their country.

Yeah that's bang on, pretty sad state of affairs when people are more actively engaged in who to vote out of the jungle or big brother. That's how disillusioned and un-engaged we have become as a society.

If I'm going to listen to a comedian on politics, I'll take Izzard every day of the week. He has a thought-out stance and only speaks out of concern - not a hint of self-promotion in it. He knows he has an amount of popularity but his interest is only to make the country a better place. I don't know all the details of what he stands for, or whether I'd agree with it if I did but whenever I've heard him talk about his political ambition, I am always genuinely impressed by him.

Why can you only listen to one?

Though I agree I'm also a big fan of Izzard the comedian, mega runner and his views (that I've heard) on politics

Not saying that you can only listen to one - just saying that whilst I have a lot of sympathy with much of Brand's message, I don't feel that it's as genuine and selfless as it could be. Then again, politics these days is all about self-promotion and self-interest, so he's probably ideally suited. ;)

The kipper might well do him like one, sadly. Farage will have been well prepped by an army of well paid staff and researchers. Rusky will probably be doing it by himself. Still, I hope he gets a good few blows against the establishment in. This won't just be Rusky vs faberge. It will be Rusky vs all the political parties, including labour. Dunno who's on the panel other than those two.

You do realise that Brand was telling people NOT to vote?  Quite the opposite of what you seem to think he's suggesting.

Â