Premier League game to be played abroad

mikeyp102

The only way it would work is to have play offs for champions league places the top 3 qualify automatically the next 8 teams playoff for the last place so it keeps the league interesting even at the bottom.

Obviously they won't do this because the teams they sell the league on won't be playing abroad as they will qualify automatically.

But like I said, even if that is true (which again I'm not sure it is, it's all speculation) it doesn't change the fact that the core concept of a league remains intact.

A "home" game abroad is a fundamental change to that concept.

Since the start of the premier league a lot of things have changed that have ruined football but for me if we get to a situation where half the teams play 19 home games and the other half play 18 then its one of the biggest nails in the coffin of all

How long before there's a scenario where 2 teams like Hull and Southampton are battling each other for relegation, they play out a half paced, jet lagged 1-1 draw in Beijing in November then in the return game in April at St Mary's Southampton have the crowd behind them and win the game, Southampton finish on 38pts and stay up, Hull go down on 37pts with the extra home game having a major influence on who gets relegated

so you mean when we play man city, everton, newcastle, arsenal at home its not random that the baggies play man utd, liverpool, sunderland, spurs away?

they havent done it this season so im assuming us / them dont cause as much trouble as they think

Edited by villa4europe

It's no secret that the season's fixtures are planned to allow for policing etc . They aren't just generated randomly.

Absolutely. I don't think it's necessarily a conspiracy either, nor that it affects the integrity of the league. there's an article about how they do the fixtures here.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this. Clubs are already selling out NFL stadiums for meaningless summertime friendlies. Man Utd-Real Madrid sold out Univeristy of Michigan's 109,000 seater in July. 109,000 people to watch a friendly. 

I'm not sure why they feel the need to do this. Clubs are already selling out NFL stadiums for meaningless summertime friendlies. Man Utd-Real Madrid sold out Univeristy of Michigan's 109,000 seater in July. 109,000 people to watch a friendly. 

Ah, but how much money do the Premier League make from these friendlies?

said before that its all well and good the Man United, Liverpools playing in Middle East and USA but cant see many football fans in Tokyo, New York or Abu Dhabi getting excited for Burnley vs Stoke or West Brom vs QPR

Could they do two games at the same stadium in one day? I think that's happened preseason.

Yeah, definitely. Think when we played that tournament with Chelsea, Blackburn and Kitchee played one after the other.

I don't think this thing works personally, it's nothing like the NFL coming over here. Because their league is balanced, most teams have done well at one point or another so they've all got fans over here. Because only 5 or 6 teams have been really relevant in the past few decades in the Premier League, how many fans are going to turn up to watch Newcastle v Palace or Hull v Swansea? None, I'd imagine.

Have any 2 teams played each other abroad, where one of the teams isn't United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool? and what were the attendances like? Not going to count Villa-Blackburn, because I'd imagine the 30k or so people turned up to watch the local side and Chelsea.

happens a lot in preseason, the old Amsterdam tournament

the NFL here makes an effort to still create a "home" team atmosphere and from what i can tell the atmosphere at wembley isnt comparable to how crowds are in the states

it would be very interesting to see what the prem would do with newcastle v palace, i dont think the prem as a league is anywhere near as popular as we are led to believe, i really struggled to find places showing us vs arsenal and chelsea in tokyo and when i did find the arsenal game i was the only person really watching it

the NFL here makes an effort to still create a "home" team atmosphere and from what i can tell the atmosphere at wembley isnt comparable to how crowds are in the states

The game on the 9th of Nov will be the first time Jacksonville sell out a home game in ages, strangely !

• Like 1

happens a lot in preseason, the old Amsterdam tournament

Yep, they do as much as they can. But it doesn't really work because there's so many fans in the stadium that don't support the home team.

Which is exactly when this idea would be the least fair. Like I said previously, if we ended up playing our home game vs Man United in, say, China, do you think there would be any hope in hell of that being anything close to a home atmosphere for us?

Â