Premier League game to be played abroad

mikeyp102

I honestly don't care about football anymore. If it wasn't for VIlla, I wouldn't take one bit of notice.

Exactly this, and my Villa interest is at it's lowest in 40 years as well

I'm all for it, the Premier League can take their ball and **** off now. A league whereby only 4 or 5 teams can win and it is most probably the one who spends the most money to do so is bollocks. What happened to the days when sides could come up and win the league inside 2/3 seasons (circa Leeds in the early nineties)

Sky have ruined football and this will merely be the icing on the cake. Fingers crossed the top level eats itself and a second tier can emerge and we will get the beautiful game back instead of the money driven cancerous spectacle we have now

My sentiments entirely, bravo sir.

• Like 2

If the choice was this or GAM£ 39, then I'd choose this.

But ultimately both ideas are shit and the Premier League can go **** themselves.

The whole point of a league is that it's as fair a competition as you can get. Everyone plays everyone else home and away.

This skews it in one way or another.

It's more fair than game 39, but it's still not fair.

Shit idea.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Sorry mods, couldn't find the previous thread on 39th game.

So it looks like the premier league want one game per team to be played abroad. Just shows that the premier league care about only the premier league, sod the fans!

Not sure how it will work as surely 10 teams will lose the benefits of one home game, which doesn't seem fair.

The idea of playing a game abroad seems pretty far-fetched, I'l give you that. However, it does work for other sports. Also, "sod the fans", what about the fans abroad? You don't count those in?

Do these guys abroad pay hundreds of quid for a season ticket under the impression they'll be seeing every home game at their own ground that year?

If they split the earnings from the games equally amongst the clubs then I'd be all for it. If it's another mechanism to distort the competition then no.

Which team misses the 'home' game could be alternate from season to season. I appreciate that's an unpopular position but I honestly wouldn't be too fussed. 

Sky have ruined football and this will merely be the icing on the cake.

But ultimately both ideas are shit and the Premier League can go **** themselves.

The whole point of a league is that it's as fair a competition as you can get. Everyone plays everyone else home and away.

This skews it in one way or another.

It's more fair than game 39, but it's still not fair.

Shit idea.

This is correct in my view...part of me hopes that Sky is the physical manifestation of Murdochs soul and when he dies they will just cease to exist and nobody will remember what it was.

No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No

Having said that I am a hypocrite as I love the fact the NFL has chosen to play games at Wembley. 

I wonder if the season ticket holders at the home club would be compensated for the missing game. (I probably know the answer to that actually)

I honestly don't care about football anymore. If it wasn't for VIlla, I wouldn't take one bit of notice.

Hard to believe anyone has this attitude. So you're saying that your not interested in Villa executing a "five year plan" to perfection resulting in the dizzy heights of a 7th place finish and being knocked out of the league cup semi finals by the Chelsea B team? Because that's about all most clubs in the league can hope to achieve. 

Oh wait it's perfectly understandable you have that attitude because football's a broken mess where you buy success.

As for playing a game abroad, meh. I'm not sure I care to be honest. The big clubs will push it through and probably pay off the smaller clubs with a couple of million or a loan player from their B team to lose one their home games.

Edited by villa89

If they split the earnings from the games equally amongst the clubs then I'd be all for it. If it's another mechanism to distort the competition then no.

Which team misses the 'home' game could be alternate from season to season. I appreciate that's an unpopular position but I honestly wouldn't be too fussed. 

But it skews it, again, massively in favour of the big teams.

Look at it like this.

By some miracle, we're sat in 4th place in the league. We get to game 38 and if we win, we get champions league. If we don't win and Man Utd do (they're in 5th) then they overtake us.

It's our "Home game" abroad.

So our home game is played in Shanghai (for sake of argument). So we have our home game against Man Utd in Shanghai.

How in any sense of the word, is that fair? In that situation it would be about 100 Villa fans and about 89,000 Man United fans. For our "home" game.

Every game abroad will be an extra home game for the big clubs, whether it's their allocated home game or not.

It's a great idea to generate money. But it jeopardises the integrity of the league.

• Like 2

that would depend on whether or not the fixture machine worked like that or if it magically pulled a super sunday out of the hat, it'll be fixed as **** in order to maximise revenue, liverpool would almost certainly be playing in malaysia

not sure where we'd want tbh and im not sure if we would travel, if we played hull away in bangkok for example id guess that a couple of thousand would try and make the trip, no different from playing them in hull, if we played man city at home in new york (in new york city's stadium? again that magic fixture machine...) then thats different

But that's my point.

It'll make it massively unfair for whoever is playing a "big team".

If we got Liverpool at home on the last day of the season and we need to win to stay up, I'd fancy our chances of getting a result.

But what if that game was played in malaysia and our home game suddenly became a game in front of 50,000 LIverpool fans?

But that's my point.

It'll make it massively unfair for whoever is playing a "big team".

If we got Liverpool at home on the last day of the season and we need to win to stay up, I'd fancy our chances of getting a result.

But what if that game was played in malaysia and our home game suddenly became a game in front of 50,000 LIverpool fans?

A win to stay up? We're not QPR, we're the Villa, it'll be the need to win to get fourth minimum! [emoji14] [emoji14] [emoji14]

But it jeopardises the integrity of the league.

The what now?

The Premier League hasn't got any integrity, what little it had went out the window when West Ham stayed up and Sheff United went down.

And how about those random fixtures that always manage to throw out two derby games on certain weeks of the season? 

And don't even get me started on certain teams picking which ref's they don't get.

The league has very little if any integrity in my eyes already.

• Like 1

I meant "the league" as in the whole concept of a league, not the premier league specifically.

Even if the premier league fix it so that fixtures fall on specific weekends (which I don't personally believe is true, but whatever), it doesn't change the fact that it's 2 games against each team, home and away. That is the fundamental basis of a league.

This would change that at the very core.

• Like 1

Oh the fixtures are fixed for certain, it happens far too frequently that there will be fixtures like Man City v Man U and Everton v Liverpool in the same game week for it to be random. Its the influence of TV on the very integrity of the competition.

This would be an extension of that, and yes it would change the very basis of the competition itself and be on an entirely different level I agree.

But I just don't believe the league or the Premier League retains integrity any more.

That went out the window when games started being moved to benefit the big teams either financially or in terms of rest and preparation times for CL games.

The entire thing is slanted to the benefit of a few teams as would these games should they happen.

Â